Patient Comments: Genital Herpes In Women - Treatments

What effective treatments have you found for your genital herpes?

Comment from: godislove, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: May 14

I was just diagnosed with herpes type 2 today. After my doctor gave me the news, I became overwhelmed – I had knots in my stomach and was trying to hold back my tears 'till after leaving the clinic. Right now, I am still dealing with my emotions, just constantly thinking of this and how I'll be with this forever. No matter if it worsens throughout my life or not, I am afraid. I am also pregnant, and I don't even know how to tell my baby's daddy when he gets home. I've been sexually active for five years and have no idea when or where I got this.

Comment from: Shellie, Published: June 09

I am 21 years old and today I had my first doctor's appointment for vaginal purposes. When I woke this morning, I realized that I had sore bumps around my vagina and it hurt to pee. I couldn't take the pain anymore, so I called the doctor to get put in today. Luckily there was a space open for me. After the doctor took a look, she told me that it was probably herpes, but she won't be for sure until she gets a blood test done. I was heartbroken. I haven't been sexually active for 3 years and it all of a sudden shows up? My doctor prescribed Valtrex and I started taking it today. Please pray for me that it's not herpes...although, Ido feel all your pain.

Comment from: 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: May 31

I am an 18 year old female, who found out I had herpes two weeks ago. I have known the guy I got it from for 4 years. I have been sleeping with him on and off for that entire time. I have had a boyfriend for the last five months and we recently had a falling out, so I got drunk and became intimate with the other guy. 3 days later I started having an outbreak. It didn't help that I had strep throat at the same time. I felt so bad, the fever was unimaginable. I blame myself because I knew the guy slept around A LOT. I did it anyways. My boyfriend ended up finding out by going on my facebook. That was an awful day. we cried and fought, but at the end of the day he realized that he still wanted to be with me because he loved me too much to lose me. It has been two weeks and our relationship is going better than ever, we are actually engaged. I am so lucky that I have someone who is understanding and willing to get past my disease. I don't know what I would do without him. I hope everyone who is in the same boat as me could be so lucky. This website really made me feel better. Reading other peoples stories reassured me I'm not alone.

Comment from: patient, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: December 20

I am 22 and just found out today that I have genital herpes. I am saddened, to say the least. I don't know where it came from, whether I had it from someone I was with, or my boyfriend I'm with now got it from someone and he gave it to me. I just know that it is a scary feeling to know you have to live with it forever. I am going to pick up some topical cream and some pills in a little while. I just got the blisters yesterday, so I have some time before it starts healing. I'm hoping the pills and cream work well, because it is very painful.

Comment from: lost, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: November 15

I'm 22 years old I found out I had herpes last month that was the worst day of my life, my body froze. I was so hurt and I'm still hurt, but now I am coping with it. I was very disappointed with myself because I'm a nursing student and I have done research about this disease. My boyfriend of five years gave me this disease. I knew it was something wrong with him because we stop having sex for a while then when we finally had sex three days later, I had flu like symptoms and it was taking my body a long time to get rid of the flu. Then I had a small cut on my rectum. When I got examined my doctor had a hard time getting a sample from the cut for the culture because it was invisible. I told my boyfriend about it he gave me support, but have not been tested for it yet. I'm starting to hate him because I'm starting to think he gave this to me on purpose so I wouldn't want be with anyone else.

Comment from: Katherine, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 12

I contracted herpes from one of my very first lovers when I was 19. We dated quite a while before I contracted it, and when I did it was only one small lesion. I rarely break out and when I do it's usually stress related. Often have difficulty recognizing the symptoms with certainty. Which leads to a constant fear. My heart goes out to chose who have a worse case then mine! In the 20 years that I've been infected I have never, to my knowledge infected a man even (in long term relationships) when there was a small lesion that was visible. I use alcohol on the area the moment I suspect an outbreak. Wish me luck. I'm in love and scared to tell him! We waited two years to be together!

Genital Herpes - Treatment Question: What kind of treatment are you using for genital herpes?
Genital Herpes - Symptoms Question: What symptoms of genital herpes did you have with your first outbreak?
Genital Herpes - Pregnancy Question: How did you manage your genital herpes during pregnancy?