Patient Comments: Genital Herpes In Women - Experience

Please describe your experience with genital herpes.

Comment from: Jill, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 23

I have only had one partner, my husband. He left me 15 years ago. I noticed blisters on my labia about 8 years after last having sex with him. My doctor told me it was herpes. I tried antiviral medication but I did not notice any decrease in my outbreaks. I usually have one every month around the same time as my period. I have been celibate since my diagnosis. I am scared I will give it to someone else and I am very ashamed. I now get blisters on the soles and sides of my feet. I get the tingly itching before the blister forms and it is very itchy. How did the herpes spread to the bottom of my feet! I don't want it to spread anywhere else.

Comment from: dottie9999, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 20

I am 57, I've had herpes since I was 18. My left side outbreak was the worst! Next 8 to 10 years I had minimal outbreaks even in my buttock cheeks. Then it started traveling, I had nerve pain in the left side 6 to 8 times a year lasting 7 to 10 days. Valtrex 1000mg daily helps. If I have an injury, a sprained ankle, scratch, mosquito bites, it attacks any old injury and travels on the left side. I have lost 4 teeth left side but none on the right side and since 04' my femoral nerve is damaged. I have several herniated discs, it's attacking my nerves, base of head, spreading down shoulder, arm, ear, jaw, eye and sinus and causes facial numbness. I have chronic pain, fatigue and heavy muscles. If I could go back I would never have had unprotected sex or sex at all. I currently am on disability for 6 months and just out of hospital after 6 days. I have pain medications that help but my health has been impacted!

Comment from: curious, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: April 23

I am 26 years old. I was in a relationship for almost 3 ½ years. We were off and on for that time period. I never had definite proof, but I know he cheated – or I think he did. Anyway, during our split-up, for a short time I dated two guys (we did sleep together). After my boyfriend and I broke up, I was single for 1 year, 9 months, and didn't have any partners. Recently, I've gotten into a relationship and we had sex about three weeks ago. Last week I noticed some tears, burning, and itching. I thought it was from friction – maybe things were a bit too rough. They've gotten more painful and look like ulcers in a cluster. We haven't had intercourse until yesterday. They weren't that sore and I thought I was healing. Well, today I feel I'm back at square one and they aren't as painful and the coloring is slightly different. I've also developed a pain on the right side of my groin. My legs feel like I have a rash and there are three red bumps. I'm wondering what I have and what I should do. I think it might be tears (rips) that got infected, but I'm concerned, scared, nervous, and freaked out.

Comment from: Badthingsjusthappen, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: August 05

I am a 19 year old female who recently was diagnosed with gential herpes. For many other people like me this news was heartbreaking, thoughts flooded my mind about who I contracted the virus from and how it would effect my life. My symptoms were similar to shaving irritating, I had NO oozing open sores or discharge or pus. Just a few small red bumps on the right side if my outer labia. With in a few days they became very painful and irritated with a lot if pain while urinating. My boyfriend looked several times and said nothing looked too abnormal. I visited my gynecologist who knew immediately what I had. I was overwhelmed by emotion of what would happen in my relationship and with my life. I spoke with my partner about it and due to my recent exposure he was the one who gave me the virus. REMEMEBER almost 80% of people with genital herpes do no show symptoms and are unaware that they may be infecting others. We discussed it and decided there is no one to blame and that we both should have been more cautious. Once I took the prescribed acyclovir my symptoms subsided in 2 days. My initial outbreak about about 3 weeks ago. I have had no symptoms since and have decided to go in suppression therapy to decrease my outbreaks. Emotionally this has been absolutely deviating. In time I know the feelings of dirtiness and shame will fade but it may take some time. If your reading this know you are not alone and if you suspect anything out of the ordinary go get checked by a medical professional.

Comment from: notsooolucky13, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: June 28

I contracted genital herpes as a teenager. I had red, itchy blisters. I wasn't officially diagnosed until I was 21 years old. I didn't have any outbreaks until then.

Genital Herpes - Treatment Question: What kind of treatment are you using for genital herpes?
Genital Herpes - Symptoms Question: What symptoms of genital herpes did you have with your first outbreak?
Genital Herpes - Pregnancy Question: How did you manage your genital herpes during pregnancy?