Patient Comments: Genital Herpes In Women - Experience

Please describe your experience with genital herpes.

Comment from: sweetheart8519, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: June 06

well i was diagnosed with herpes when i was 23 years old got it from my ex husband at the time i found out i was in love and engaged to the man that gave it toe so it didnt bother me but now that i am divorced from this man i am struggling with having the disease. i just feel like no one will ever love or want to be with me.

Comment from: surprised, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 15

I am 59 and have just found out I have herpes. I have been with my current husband for 13 years; no other partners. What a bummer. The bad part was that I was on a three-day business trip when the symptoms appeared: flu-like malaise, headache, and then the blisters. But I still had to hobnob with people and wait until I got home to get an appointment with the doctor. She said it was unfortunate because the results of the Valtrex are better if you catch it within the first 24 hours. Now I have to sit down with hubby when he gets home from work tonight to talk about all this. I'm wondering if he should also get tested, and what this means for our sex life.

Comment from: Amanda, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 28

I contracted the virus from my husband 12 years ago. I knew something was wrong with him. However, because of our living situation, and my stupidity, we had sex. I was terribly sick afterwards. My gynecologist diagnosed me with herpes simplex type 2 and I was crushed. I rarely have outbreaks, maybe 1-2 per year. I found that when one is occurring, it is best to apply hydrogen peroxide to it whenever you go to the bathroom; this helps dry the closed blister (multiple bumps), which forms a crust within hours and goes away in a couple of days. I thought I might share this remedy because it works for me.

Comment from: boostie70, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: March 27

I have itching inside my thighs and a lesion on the side of my vagina, but no burning.

Comment from: Lala, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: March 22

I had sex with my boyfriend. Occasionally I get something that looks like ringworm in my mouth. Last year I had ringworm on my right hand but I never sought medical help because I'm afraid of the result. For the past four days I've had frequent urination. Please help: could this be HIV?

Genital Herpes - Treatment Question: What kind of treatment are you using for genital herpes?
Genital Herpes - Symptoms Question: What symptoms of genital herpes did you have with your first outbreak?
Genital Herpes - Pregnancy Question: How did you manage your genital herpes during pregnancy?