Patient Comments: Gastroparesis - Diagnosis

How was your gastroparesis diagnosed?

Comment from: Isabel, 55-64 Female Published: October 13

My doctors prescribed several statins for my high cholesterol, which did not lower it! Side effect that is more horrible is osteopenia in my left thigh, knee and lower leg, along with ringing in my ears. Horrible pain for taking medications for high cholesterol, simvastatin, Lipitor and Zocor did me in! I can't sleep at night for the leg pain, have difficulty walking some days, and while working my leg may give out and I fall! They did not lower the cholesterol and gave me osteopenia and I do believe my 50 percent carotid artery blockage as well.

Comment from: My03Tundra, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: April 23

I was diagnosed with gastroparesis after a gastric emptying study.

Comment from: grissom1, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: January 13

After months of bouts with hours of dry heaving and vomiting, I spent 6 days in the hospital on liquid diet. My gall bladder was removed, and further testing proved that it was taking 6 to 8 hours to process foods from my stomach instead of one. Told that I have gastroparesis and my stomach operates at 20 percent speed, I'm on Reglan, Zofran, and Nexium apparently for life. I have been instructed to eat several small meals throughout the day and follow a strict diet. I also have diverticulosis, ulcerative colitis, pancreatitis, and fatty liver disease. In the first month after hospital, my appetite rarely exists. There is no change in my weight. I still prefer one meal per day yet I've learned to have 4 progressively lighter meals as the day goes by. If I take my medicines close to bedtime, sleeping is very difficult.

Comment from: Auditor, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 18

I had a pyloric blockage in 2007 and had to have a gastric bypass and the surgeon also performed a vagotomy to stop acid reflux. It is the bypass and vagotomy, which were needed to correct the blockage (pylorus blocked over 95 percent due to scar tissue from ulcers), that caused my gastroparesis. The diagnosis came after I had a seven year check-up endoscopy and my gastroenterologist found food in my stomach after not eating for over 12 hours. Four hour gastric emptying study showed it takes approximately 17 hours for my stomach to empty.

Comment from: Denise, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 12

For about 3 years every summer I would start having problems with my stomach which would cause me to lose weight. The only things I could eat were a lot of ice cream and foods that are mostly liquids. I wasn't worried though because once summer was over, the weight came right back. Then summer of the third year came and like clockwork, I got sick, but when that summer was over, I didn't gain the weight back and I started experiencing a lot of gas. I decided to go to the doctor because I was scared. After 3 years and seeing 2 gastroenterologists and having a gastric emptying study done, I was diagnosed with gastroparesis. My life hasn't been the same ever since.

Comment from: Lucy, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: November 06

I had a vein ablation (leg). A week later I was in hospital with AE (arterial embolism) and PVT (portal vein thrombosis). Today (4 days out of hospital) doctor reduced my blood thinner. My level was in the 4 range. Tonight I'm experiencing back and chest pain.

Gastroparesis - Describe Your Experience Question: Please describe your experience with gastroparesis.
Gastroparesis - Possible Causes Question: What do you believe was the cause of your gastroparesis?
Gastroparesis - Symptoms Question: What symptoms do you experience with your gastroparesis?
Gastroparesis - Treatment Question: What kinds of treatment, including diet and medication, have you tried for gastroparesis?