Patient Comments: Gastroparesis - Diagnosis

How was your gastroparesis diagnosed?

Comment from: tmm, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 04

I had several tests done by a gastroenterologist after I started having unusual pressure/pain from bloating, then couldn"t eat or if I do eat I vomit frequently. Before this, I"ve had trouble with excessive thirst, trouble swallowing solids and was short of breath and had chest pain. The tests I had for gastroparesis included: swallowing a capsule with rings which were x-rayed 5 days later, then I had the gastric emptying test which showed my stomach emptying four times slower than normal. Finally I had both the colonoscopy and endoscopy which was very bad because I couldn"t be properly sedated. I choked and felt pain which made me scream. Before all of this, I have had heart disease which began unexplained and with no family heart disease, at age 42, then continued with a series of three stents needed and a diagnosis of CHF (congestive heart failure). In the middle of this, lesions were found on my brain which indicated a possibility of multiple sclerosis, a strong possibility now that my stomach muscles do not work correctly, even when I try to follow the special diet.

Comment from: Florence, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: October 18

One Sunday I ate half a slice of chocolate cake and I felt fine. Then an hour later, I became so nauseous I thought I was going to be sick but I wasn't. Ever since then, every time I ate I was nauseous and it kept me awake at nights. Then I also became bloated every time I ate. I couldn't get on trains because I had motion sickness. I stopped eating and lost 20 pounds and my clothes became so loose on me. I then went to the gastroenterologist and got an endoscopy, x-ray, and ultrasound and did the gastric emptying study and I was diagnosed with GP gastroparesis). My gastroenterologist just suggested 4-6 small frequent meals a day, stay away from high fiber foods and salads (because of the roughage in the leaves) and most importantly stay away from fatty and spicy foods. Now I can't eat anything without feeling bloated and it's really interfering with my life. I have my good days and I have my bad days.

Comment from: Karen, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 29

In November of 2012 I had two neck surgeries. The first week after that, I was fine. Since then, I have been admitted to the hospital for pancreatitis (lab diagnosis). I had no pain at all – just nausea and vomiting. Within a day of discharge, I started experiencing pain under my rib cage that never stops. I have lost 45 pounds since November and have had frequent nausea with vomiting. My doctor thinks it might be gastroparesis or a problem with one of my bile ducts. I don't have a gallbladder. I've never lost this much weight. So far, my labs are back to normal. I'm just wondering if anyone has had the same symptoms. They would like to do an endoscopic retrograde cholangiopancreatogram (ERCP), but I don't want to have it done. Any suggestion is appreciated.

Comment from: em, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 25

I have just been diagnosed with gasroparesis after a botched colonoscopy that led to a hemicolectomy. Doctors couldn't understand why I wasn't improving—it started to feel like they thought I was faking symptoms. Nausea, feeling bloated, and abdominal pain just made working impossible, and living with the constant nausea is horrendous. A gastric-emptying study found I was 'significantly abnormal'. As instructed, I've been eating full meals. A dietician recommended I eat small meals six times a day. I'm now on anti-nausea drugs, which aren't helping, and IBS tablets for abdominal pain. I knew there was something wrong, and no doctor admitted it was caused by the major bowel surgery.

Comment from: Tina, 65-74 Female (Caregiver) Published: May 21

Hi, my name is Tina, Now I have it but my mother does and she is 74 years old. She suffers so bad and she only had it for only 2 months. And she have so many other health problems alone with it. She get so frustrated and I try to keep her spirits up to the best of my ability, and it'd hard seeing her suffer every day. I've been her caregiver for 5 years and it's been stressful, so anyone going through this my prayers. and my mother's go out to you.

Gastroparesis - Describe Your Experience Question: Please describe your experience with gastroparesis.
Gastroparesis - Possible Causes Question: What do you believe was the cause of your gastroparesis?
Gastroparesis - Symptoms Question: What symptoms do you experience with your gastroparesis?
Gastroparesis - Treatment Question: What kinds of treatment, including diet and medication, have you tried for gastroparesis?