Patient Comments: Gastroparesis - Diagnosis

How was your gastroparesis diagnosed?

Comment from: My03Tundra, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: April 23

I was diagnosed with gastroparesis after a gastric emptying study.

Comment from: grissom1, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: January 13

After months of bouts with hours of dry heaving and vomiting, I spent 6 days in the hospital on liquid diet. My gall bladder was removed, and further testing proved that it was taking 6 to 8 hours to process foods from my stomach instead of one. Told that I have gastroparesis and my stomach operates at 20 percent speed, I'm on Reglan, Zofran, and Nexium apparently for life. I have been instructed to eat several small meals throughout the day and follow a strict diet. I also have diverticulosis, ulcerative colitis, pancreatitis, and fatty liver disease. In the first month after hospital, my appetite rarely exists. There is no change in my weight. I still prefer one meal per day yet I've learned to have 4 progressively lighter meals as the day goes by. If I take my medicines close to bedtime, sleeping is very difficult.

Comment from: Auditor, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 18

I had a pyloric blockage in 2007 and had to have a gastric bypass and the surgeon also performed a vagotomy to stop acid reflux. It is the bypass and vagotomy, which were needed to correct the blockage (pylorus blocked over 95 percent due to scar tissue from ulcers), that caused my gastroparesis. The diagnosis came after I had a seven year check-up endoscopy and my gastroenterologist found food in my stomach after not eating for over 12 hours. Four hour gastric emptying study showed it takes approximately 17 hours for my stomach to empty.

Comment from: Denise, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 12

For about 3 years every summer I would start having problems with my stomach which would cause me to lose weight. The only things I could eat were a lot of ice cream and foods that are mostly liquids. I wasn't worried though because once summer was over, the weight came right back. Then summer of the third year came and like clockwork, I got sick, but when that summer was over, I didn't gain the weight back and I started experiencing a lot of gas. I decided to go to the doctor because I was scared. After 3 years and seeing 2 gastroenterologists and having a gastric emptying study done, I was diagnosed with gastroparesis. My life hasn't been the same ever since.

Comment from: tmm, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 04

I had several tests done by a gastroenterologist after I started having unusual pressure/pain from bloating, then couldn"t eat or if I do eat I vomit frequently. Before this, I"ve had trouble with excessive thirst, trouble swallowing solids and was short of breath and had chest pain. The tests I had for gastroparesis included: swallowing a capsule with rings which were x-rayed 5 days later, then I had the gastric emptying test which showed my stomach emptying four times slower than normal. Finally I had both the colonoscopy and endoscopy which was very bad because I couldn"t be properly sedated. I choked and felt pain which made me scream. Before all of this, I have had heart disease which began unexplained and with no family heart disease, at age 42, then continued with a series of three stents needed and a diagnosis of CHF (congestive heart failure). In the middle of this, lesions were found on my brain which indicated a possibility of multiple sclerosis, a strong possibility now that my stomach muscles do not work correctly, even when I try to follow the special diet.

Comment from: smilesallday, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 08

Gastroparesis is the worst thing in the world. Oh my, I have been in pain for days and had gone to the hospital and they said, 'chronic abdominal pain'. So I went to my gastroenterologist and he says there is no cure; really! I've changed my diet, and it seems ever since they did the upper endoscopy I'm in worse pain every day and finally I'm getting an appointment for pain management, yes, that's where they sent me! My stomach gets so big as if I was pregnant approximately 9 months and the pains feel like contractions, no one that has not had gastroparesis can imagine the pain I go through on a daily basis.

Gastroparesis - Describe Your Experience Question: Please describe your experience with gastroparesis.
Gastroparesis - Possible Causes Question: What do you believe was the cause of your gastroparesis?
Gastroparesis - Symptoms Question: What symptoms do you experience with your gastroparesis?
Gastroparesis - Treatment Question: What kinds of treatment, including diet and medication, have you tried for gastroparesis?