Patient Comments: Gastroparesis - Diagnosis

How was your gastroparesis diagnosed?

Comment from: Tabatha, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 14

I was diagnosed with gastroparesis this year, stemming from multiple abdominal surgeries. I am allergic to reglan. I cannot eat raw vegetables, breads, rice (anything that soaks or swells), carbonated beverages, etc. I am now reduced to pureed and babyfood susbtances with a barrage of medication. I stay dehydrated and lethargic most of the time. I vomit four times a day regardless of how much or which type of phenerghan I try. I have constant stomach pain, bloating, vomiting which keep me near a bed and a bathroom most of my day. I am apprehensive about a gastric pacemaker due to all the scar tissue from previous abdominal trauma (necritizing fascitis). I am fearful of most procedures and treatments that are mentioned due to the entire ordeal. I have found no working option thusfar.

Was this comment helpful?Yes
Comment from: Jennifer, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: October 18

I was diagnosed with Gastroparesis two years ago. I have been vomiting and experiencing nausea. I had an endoscopy and that has not helped. I am always tired and have severe hypertension. I have no appetite at all.

Was this comment helpful?Yes
Comment from: carolyn S, 25-34 Female (Caregiver) Published: September 26

My daughter was diagnosed with Gastroperesis two years ago. It took them over three months to diagnose it. She went down to 80 pounds, and her blood pressure was so low she could hardly stand or walk. One day she was standing talking to me and she colapsed in my arms just like a rag doll. The doctors just kept saying she was bulemic or anorexic. This would really tick her off because she was not trying to vomit all day long for months at a time. Each time she was admitted they would stop the nausea and vomiting, send her home and she would be back in within a week. She has no family doctor so the ones in the hospital just brush her off til she is out of their hands. When she was finally diagnosed the doctor had the nerve to say I have one sick girl on my hands. It is very difficult to not lose my temper from being so frustrated. She is also a type one diabetic since she was seven years old (that is another story just trying to get them to give her insulin for high blood sugars). She is in the hospital again as I am writing this and I just had to argue with the nurse because her blood sugar was 22 and she was not going to give her any insulin. At time I just wanted to pull my teeth out. I guess you can tell I am really venting here but I see how my daughter is failing right before my eyes and I can't do a thing to help her or get anyone to listen to either of us.

Was this comment helpful?Yes
Comment from: shawn g, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: September 14

At first they doctors said I had a bad gall bladder and it should get better once they remove it. I still continue to have chronic pain in my upper abdominal area vomiting. Non Stop and cramps very bad and one bite from a meal and I would feel full. Other times I was normal. I have these flair ups all the time and have to go to the ER to get IV Dilaudid and Phenergan to control it. It's bad. Doctors are starting to turn me away thinking I'm addicted to pain meds. I'm tired of going through this. They said I have idiopathic gastroparesis.

Was this comment helpful?Yes
Comment from: Tina, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 10

I was diagnosed with gastroparesis about a year ago. With a drastic change in. I haven't looked back. I go through spells of acid reflux but not nearly as bad as when I was at my worst. I avoid green vegetables (except spinach) and salad. I don't eat nuts or anything high fiber. Only eat bananas and melons for fruit. As I say, I follow a very restrictive diet and have to balance my nutrients, but it is so worth it to avoid such extreme illness. I need to be very careful because I have diabetes. I am regularly on the lookout for new research as so very little of it in the UK. All my research has been via US websites to date, where there are a few recipe sheets and food lists to eat/avoid.

Was this comment helpful?Yes
Comment from: 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: June 09

I have type 1 diabetes and from not controlling my blood sugars I developed gastroparesis. I was diagnosed 2 years ago and it has been the hardest time of my life. The only thing I can eat without vomiting is chicken noodle soup. The soup has kept me out of the hospital for three days. I can't make plans with friends and family because I never know how I'm going to feel.

Was this comment helpful?Yes
Comment from: lowrider, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 25

I was diagnosed with gastroparesis about three months ago. I had an endoscopy and upper GI done. My stomach was still full after a 14-hour fast. I'm sick all the time. I can only tolerate mashed potatoes, boiled noodles, white rice, and white bread. Even after that, I have heartburn and burning in my throat.

Was this comment helpful?Yes

Patient Comments

Viewers share their comments

Gastroparesis - Describe Your Experience Question: Please describe your experience with gastroparesis.
Gastroparesis - Possible Causes Question: What do you believe was the cause of your gastroparesis?
Gastroparesis - Symptoms Question: What symptoms do you experience with your gastroparesis?
Gastroparesis - Treatment Question: What kinds of treatment, including diet and medication, have you tried for gastroparesis?

Patient Comments are not a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Never delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice from your physician or other qualified health provider because of something you have read on MedicineNet. The opinions expressed in the comments section are of the author and the author alone. MedicineNet does not endorse any specific product, service or treatment.

Alert If you think you have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately.

Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration

You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

Health Solutions From Our Sponsors