Patient Comments: Gastroparesis - Diagnosis

How was your gastroparesis diagnosed?

Comment from: Thomas, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: October 15

I developed gastroparesis in 2001 when I was 11 and finally diagnosed with an endoscopy in 2007.

Comment from: Chefchristina11, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 23

I have had severe abdominal pain for about five years. The doctors ran every test and they all came back normal. They put me on pain medication and Reglan for the nausea. The pain meds helped a little bit, but I throw up anything I try to eat. I just found out that I will no longer get my pain medication because the doctor doesn't think there's anything wrong with me. I have been diagnosed with gastroparesis. I don't know what to do. I have a 2 year old and it's hard to take care of him when I can barely get out of bed. I wish I could eat and not throw up. I just don't eat at all – my stomach swells so much, I look like I'm 9 months pregnant (which I'm not.) For years, nobody believed that I have severe pain and thought I was just a drug addict. I don't know what to do. The pain is more than I can bear. Now they want to take away the one thing that helped a little (my medication). I can't take this much longer. And to find that there's no cure – I can't live the rest of my life like this.

Comment from: ChrisC, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: March 25

My wife has had gastroparesis for more than 20 years. She has tried all options, including a pacemaker and more medications. Finally, she had most of her stomach removed. She can only eat a few things and most of them make her sick. The only medication that seems to help her is Ativan and the doctors keep taking her off of it. It seems like we can't get doctors to listen to us. Now I'm watching her starve before my eyes. I feel so frustrated.

Comment from: Tabatha, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 14

I was diagnosed with gastroparesis this year, stemming from multiple abdominal surgeries. I am allergic to reglan. I cannot eat raw vegetables, breads, rice (anything that soaks or swells), carbonated beverages, etc. I am now reduced to pureed and babyfood susbtances with a barrage of medication. I stay dehydrated and lethargic most of the time. I vomit four times a day regardless of how much or which type of phenerghan I try. I have constant stomach pain, bloating, vomiting which keep me near a bed and a bathroom most of my day. I am apprehensive about a gastric pacemaker due to all the scar tissue from previous abdominal trauma (necritizing fascitis). I am fearful of most procedures and treatments that are mentioned due to the entire ordeal. I have found no working option thusfar.

Comment from: Jennifer, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: October 18

I was diagnosed with Gastroparesis two years ago. I have been vomiting and experiencing nausea. I had an endoscopy and that has not helped. I am always tired and have severe hypertension. I have no appetite at all.

Comment from: carolyn S, 25-34 Female (Caregiver) Published: September 26

My daughter was diagnosed with Gastroperesis two years ago. It took them over three months to diagnose it. She went down to 80 pounds, and her blood pressure was so low she could hardly stand or walk. One day she was standing talking to me and she colapsed in my arms just like a rag doll. The doctors just kept saying she was bulemic or anorexic. This would really tick her off because she was not trying to vomit all day long for months at a time. Each time she was admitted they would stop the nausea and vomiting, send her home and she would be back in within a week. She has no family doctor so the ones in the hospital just brush her off til she is out of their hands. When she was finally diagnosed the doctor had the nerve to say I have one sick girl on my hands. It is very difficult to not lose my temper from being so frustrated. She is also a type one diabetic since she was seven years old (that is another story just trying to get them to give her insulin for high blood sugars). She is in the hospital again as I am writing this and I just had to argue with the nurse because her blood sugar was 22 and she was not going to give her any insulin. At time I just wanted to pull my teeth out. I guess you can tell I am really venting here but I see how my daughter is failing right before my eyes and I can't do a thing to help her or get anyone to listen to either of us.

Comment from: shawn g, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: September 14

At first they doctors said I had a bad gall bladder and it should get better once they remove it. I still continue to have chronic pain in my upper abdominal area vomiting. Non Stop and cramps very bad and one bite from a meal and I would feel full. Other times I was normal. I have these flair ups all the time and have to go to the ER to get IV Dilaudid and Phenergan to control it. It's bad. Doctors are starting to turn me away thinking I'm addicted to pain meds. I'm tired of going through this. They said I have idiopathic gastroparesis.

Gastroparesis - Describe Your Experience Question: Please describe your experience with gastroparesis.
Gastroparesis - Possible Causes Question: What do you believe was the cause of your gastroparesis?
Gastroparesis - Symptoms Question: What symptoms do you experience with your gastroparesis?
Gastroparesis - Treatment Question: What kinds of treatment, including diet and medication, have you tried for gastroparesis?