Patient Comments: Gastroparesis - Diagnosis

How was your gastroparesis diagnosed?

Comment from: tootsie, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: January 23

I was diagnosed with gastroparesis following a gastric emptying study. I was put on a diet of no fresh fruits and vegetables, no fiber, no beef, pork or shell fish, and no fat. I can have cooked apples, peaches, pears, cooked beets, winter squash, yams, potatoes, white bread, eggs, poultry, and fish. I seem to tolerate chocolate, sweets, and dairy. I've gained more than 10 pounds in the past six months since my diagnosis because I can't have foods that satisfy my appetite that are good for me. I seem to turn to refined cabohydrates way too much. When I try to cut down I feel sick, weak, and shakey. I wish someone could find a set of menus I could follow that would help me lose weight. I am just thankful I'm not a lot worse. When I stay away from the foods I've been told not to eat the nausea is gone and I feel much better than I have for years.

Comment from: linda1948, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 13

A gastric emptying test (1.5 hours). Nothing had emptied my stomach. I've had problems with reflux and nausea for over 20 years, but was just diagnosed with gastroparesis. I was put on reglan 10 mg. Times times a day, but developed depression, crying, etc. Now, I'm taking it at night only and have a prescription for a drug for nausea that cancer patients take. But I feel awful. Full, bloated and nauseous. I guess i need to make an appointment with my gastro doctor. She said I can take domperidone, a drug from Canada, but I have to get it online because it's not available in the U.S.

Comment from: Betternow, Published: January 28

I was diagnosed with gastroparesis with the nuclear test. My most difficult symptom was constant nausea. My doctor wanted me to take Reglan, but I refused due to the side effects. The nausea was so debilitating at times I just bent over while doing outside activities. Then I started taking 1 mg of Folic Acid daily and my nausea disappeared! My doctor told me the stomach has serotnin receptors and apparently Folic Acid affects serotonin.

Gastroparesis - Describe Your Experience Question: Please describe your experience with gastroparesis.
Gastroparesis - Possible Causes Question: What do you believe was the cause of your gastroparesis?
Gastroparesis - Symptoms Question: What symptoms do you experience with your gastroparesis?
Gastroparesis - Treatment Question: What kinds of treatment, including diet and medication, have you tried for gastroparesis?