Patient Comments: Gastroparesis - Diagnosis

How was your gastroparesis diagnosed?

Comment from: Thomas, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: October 15

I developed gastroparesis in 2001 when I was 11 and finally diagnosed with an endoscopy in 2007.

Comment from: Chefchristina11, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 23

I have had severe abdominal pain for about five years. The doctors ran every test and they all came back normal. They put me on pain medication and Reglan for the nausea. The pain meds helped a little bit, but I throw up anything I try to eat. I just found out that I will no longer get my pain medication because the doctor doesn't think there's anything wrong with me. I have been diagnosed with gastroparesis. I don't know what to do. I have a 2 year old and it's hard to take care of him when I can barely get out of bed. I wish I could eat and not throw up. I just don't eat at all – my stomach swells so much, I look like I'm 9 months pregnant (which I'm not.) For years, nobody believed that I have severe pain and thought I was just a drug addict. I don't know what to do. The pain is more than I can bear. Now they want to take away the one thing that helped a little (my medication). I can't take this much longer. And to find that there's no cure – I can't live the rest of my life like this.

Comment from: 33 years old, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: March 19

I was diagnosed with Diabetic Gastroparesis just 3 days ago. I had been having stomach pain, always feeling full, vomiting constantly, and recently lost over 30 pounds in just a few weeks for almost a year before my family doctor referred me to my Digestive doctor. Although I was just diagnosed with this disease I have been living with it for over a year now and it is very frustrating and hard to live with. I also feel for others like myself because I know how hard it is to live with this disease.

Comment from: sick 2mystomach, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: August 03

Heidi, I am so sorry you are going through this. I am old enough to be your father and have been battling gastroparesis for 12 years. Whatever doctor told you it was emotional problem is a horse's behind. It seems too many docs do that when they're stuck for an answer. The problem is the vagus nerve is severely damaged and therefore your stomach does not produce contractions to aid in digestion and move food along to the duodenum. I suggest you find another gastroenterologist to see if he's able inject Botox into the muscle of the pyloric sphincter.

Comment from: Frustrated, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: June 23

I had really bad reflux when I was a baby. Three years ago, my reflux came back. In the last six months, I was no longer able to keep any food or drink down. I got severely dehydrated. After being on months of waiting lists, I finally got admitted to the hospital that I've been in for five months. The doctors did all sorts of tests, but no luck came from any of them. During my time in the hospital, I've been accused and treated like an anorexic. And I keep having severe pain episodes about every two weeks or so. I have been told I have gastroparesis and GERD. I haven't been able to eat anything for a year now. I have a nasal gastric tube. And I'm constantly on a feeding tube to keep my weight up. I also have bowl problems. I just miss food and would do anything to eat again. The doctors have given up on me and are reluctant to give me anything for my pain. I'm just frustrated!

Comment from: ChrisC, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: March 25

My wife has had gastroparesis for more than 20 years. She has tried all options, including a pacemaker and more medications. Finally, she had most of her stomach removed. She can only eat a few things and most of them make her sick. The only medication that seems to help her is Ativan and the doctors keep taking her off of it. It seems like we can't get doctors to listen to us. Now I'm watching her starve before my eyes. I feel so frustrated.

Comment from: Tabatha, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 14

I was diagnosed with gastroparesis this year, stemming from multiple abdominal surgeries. I am allergic to reglan. I cannot eat raw vegetables, breads, rice (anything that soaks or swells), carbonated beverages, etc. I am now reduced to pureed and babyfood susbtances with a barrage of medication. I stay dehydrated and lethargic most of the time. I vomit four times a day regardless of how much or which type of phenerghan I try. I have constant stomach pain, bloating, vomiting which keep me near a bed and a bathroom most of my day. I am apprehensive about a gastric pacemaker due to all the scar tissue from previous abdominal trauma (necritizing fascitis). I am fearful of most procedures and treatments that are mentioned due to the entire ordeal. I have found no working option thusfar.

Gastroparesis - Describe Your Experience Question: Please describe your experience with gastroparesis.
Gastroparesis - Possible Causes Question: What do you believe was the cause of your gastroparesis?
Gastroparesis - Symptoms Question: What symptoms do you experience with your gastroparesis?
Gastroparesis - Treatment Question: What kinds of treatment, including diet and medication, have you tried for gastroparesis?