Patient Comments: Gastroparesis - Diagnosis

How was your gastroparesis diagnosed?

Comment from: Terri, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 17

After diagnosis for 20 plus years of GERD, taking many acid reducers, and the loss of my gall bladder along the way, I was diagnosed with gastroparesis about 3 years ago. I also had esophageal damage and trouble swallowing, which the Propulsid (harsh as it was) was helping to improve, until it was removed from the market. I have been taking domperidone steadily twice daily and I feel like a new person. The vomiting stopped within a month of taking the domperidone, which is fairly easy to obtain from other countries. Additionally, it can be obtained in dissolvable form so swallowing is not an issue. I still take omeprazole to control the acid, and still get belly bloat, but this medicine has proven very effective for me. I hope it helps someone here!

Comment from: Ed's wife, 65-74 Male (Caregiver) Published: December 01

At first they thought it was ileus (the small intestine) not working. Then they took out his gall bladder and his bile duct because he had a ton of gall stones. Then all the same symptoms came back again; twice. They don't go away until he fasts for a day or so. Then they found it was gastroparesis.

Comment from: Lucy, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: November 06

I had a vein ablation (leg). A week later I was in hospital with AE (arterial embolism) and PVT (portal vein thrombosis). Today (4 days out of hospital) doctor reduced my blood thinner. My level was in the 4 range. Tonight I'm experiencing back and chest pain.

Comment from: Denise, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 12

For about 3 years every summer I would start having problems with my stomach which would cause me to lose weight. The only things I could eat were a lot of ice cream and foods that are mostly liquids. I wasn't worried though because once summer was over, the weight came right back. Then summer of the third year came and like clockwork, I got sick, but when that summer was over, I didn't gain the weight back and I started experiencing a lot of gas. I decided to go to the doctor because I was scared. After 3 years and seeing 2 gastroenterologists and having a gastric emptying study done, I was diagnosed with gastroparesis. My life hasn't been the same ever since.

Comment from: tmm, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 04

I had several tests done by a gastroenterologist after I started having unusual pressure/pain from bloating, then couldn"t eat or if I do eat I vomit frequently. Before this, I"ve had trouble with excessive thirst, trouble swallowing solids and was short of breath and had chest pain. The tests I had for gastroparesis included: swallowing a capsule with rings which were x-rayed 5 days later, then I had the gastric emptying test which showed my stomach emptying four times slower than normal. Finally I had both the colonoscopy and endoscopy which was very bad because I couldn"t be properly sedated. I choked and felt pain which made me scream. Before all of this, I have had heart disease which began unexplained and with no family heart disease, at age 42, then continued with a series of three stents needed and a diagnosis of CHF (congestive heart failure). In the middle of this, lesions were found on my brain which indicated a possibility of multiple sclerosis, a strong possibility now that my stomach muscles do not work correctly, even when I try to follow the special diet.

Comment from: Florence, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: October 18

One Sunday I ate half a slice of chocolate cake and I felt fine. Then an hour later, I became so nauseous I thought I was going to be sick but I wasn't. Ever since then, every time I ate I was nauseous and it kept me awake at nights. Then I also became bloated every time I ate. I couldn't get on trains because I had motion sickness. I stopped eating and lost 20 pounds and my clothes became so loose on me. I then went to the gastroenterologist and got an endoscopy, x-ray, and ultrasound and did the gastric emptying study and I was diagnosed with GP gastroparesis). My gastroenterologist just suggested 4-6 small frequent meals a day, stay away from high fiber foods and salads (because of the roughage in the leaves) and most importantly stay away from fatty and spicy foods. Now I can't eat anything without feeling bloated and it's really interfering with my life. I have my good days and I have my bad days.

Gastroparesis - Describe Your Experience Question: Please describe your experience with gastroparesis.
Gastroparesis - Possible Causes Question: What do you believe was the cause of your gastroparesis?
Gastroparesis - Symptoms Question: What symptoms do you experience with your gastroparesis?
Gastroparesis - Treatment Question: What kinds of treatment, including diet and medication, have you tried for gastroparesis?