Patient Comments: Gastroparesis - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with gastroparesis.

Comment from: hungrygirl, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 14

I am a 47 year diagnosed with fibromyalgia, chronic fatigue syndrome (20 years), migraines, hypothyroid and IBS (irritable bowel syndrome) constipation. I am now seeing a naturopath who diagnosed me with SIBO (small intestinal bacterial overgrowth), the most likely cause of all my health problems. I am constantly burping, food doesn't move through me, and I feel bloated often. Currently I am eating vegetables, fruit, and raw nuts; chewing thoroughly and adding probiotics/enzymes. She prescribed low does erythromycin for motility and Nature Thyroid to get things moving. I suspect I have a bit of gastroparesis. I cannot tolerate coconut flakes or lots of vitamin capsules at once. They seem to swim around in my stomach and go nowhere. Lots of salad does the same thing. But ironically, she wants me eating lots of salad. She suggested gargling a lot 2 times a day to stimulate the brain to send a peristalsis message to the digestive system. I am 5 ft. 4 in and 110 lb.

Comment from: Lisam, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 16

After 15 plus years of stomach problems and many years of gastroenterologist consultation, my doctor finally took me and my symptoms seriously enough to do further testing. Emptying tests revealed I wasn't emptying after 4 hours and an EGG test was also abnormal. I am currently seeing a surgeon to schedule a date for the gastric pacemaker. I can't live with the serious attacks of gastroparesis anymore so I'll take my chances for now that the pacemaker is the answer. If it doesn't work out then we'll have to cross that bridge. Gastroparesis is a horrible disease and I feel for anyone who suffers with this.

Comment from: Vetty, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 09

A few days ago a gastric emptying test confirmed gastroparesis. Since I'm diabetic, I understand it is nerve damage. I have also been in hypothyroid treatment for over 30 years. Bloating and abdominal pain is frustrating, pain is not limited to stomach, sometimes affecting ability to sleep or mop the floor. Next appointment is in August. I have been waiting to be treated since last year. I started diet on my own when the condition started. It has helped to lower blood glucose and lose weight. Thanks to your informative article, I will grind food and hope for some relief in the meanwhile.

Comment from: designatedhugger, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 02

I have not been diagnosed by a doctor, but in researching my symptoms, gastroparesis seems to be the most likely diagnosis. I have no idea why it started, but in 2013, I started getting sick every time I ate. I began cutting out food groups. I already knew I was lactose intolerant and hypoglycemic, and tree nuts give me migraines as does sugar, and meat does not digest well for me. I had already cut out these things. So I started with gluten. That didn't do it. So I cut out everything processed. I was living on eggs, fresh fruits and vegetables. After 7 months of feeling nauseated, dizzy, every cell in my body quivering, and severe fatigue, it got to the point that even drinking water made me feel awful. I weighed 104 pounds by then, and I'm 5 ft 5 in. I was pretty sure I was dying, couldn't even get life insurance. My husband saw a doctor on TV talking about gastroparesis so we looked it up. It seems to fit my symptoms which are intermittent. I can go months and feel fine, then it hits. It seems to be worse when I have raw vegetables or lots of roughage. It's back now and I am putting 1 or 2 drops of tangerine essential oil in water and drinking it when I eat anything. I do protein shakes for breakfast and if I could afford it, I'd do them for every meal. Liquids seem to be easier on me. I wonder if anyone else has these other symptoms. I just see nausea and vomiting mentioned. I have the nausea terribly but don't vomit. But the rest of the symptoms are horrible.

Gastroparesis - Diagnosis Question: How was your gastroparesis diagnosed?
Gastroparesis - Possible Causes Question: What do you believe was the cause of your gastroparesis?
Gastroparesis - Symptoms Question: What symptoms do you experience with your gastroparesis?
Gastroparesis - Treatment Question: What kinds of treatment, including diet and medication, have you tried for gastroparesis?