Patient Comments: Gastroparesis - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with gastroparesis.

Comment from: Bonnie, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 30

I have noticed my stomach growing steadily over the past two years. It didn"t interfere with my ability to eat until 6 or 8 months ago. I can eat maybe 1/3 or 1/4 of what I used to. And I"m stuffed. I can"t belch. I am constantly taking Pepto-Bismol or Gas-X. My stomach is so large, it"s pushing up on my diaphragm, so I have a lot of trouble breathing. I can"t stand to do housework or dishes for more than ten minutes due to muscles pulling and burning in my middle back, behind my stomach. I can"t breathe lying down. I have to sleep in a recliner. Recently I tried Reglan; made me sicker. I"m over this gastroparesis; tired of having to buy maternity clothes, as nothing else fits!

Comment from: rosie56, 55-64 (Patient) Published: May 30

I am 57, type 2 diabetic. I have had gastroparesis for years but it"s really getting me down. For a few days I'm really constipated and bloated and vomit when I eat anything, then for the next week or two I have severe stomach cramps and uncontrollable diarrhea. I also bleed a lot from the back end. I"ve had numerous tests and medication but nothing works. I"m scared to go out and have to wear a nappy. On top of this I have severe narcolepsy and cataplexy but that"s another story. At the moment my stomach is so bad I daren"t eat and am losing loads of weight. My heart goes out to everyone with this horrible condition.

Comment from: Swtjess, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: May 09

I have been sick since I was a little girl. I have always had stomach problems always have been sick. I went to so many doctors first they said it is because of my heart issues, then they said it was because of my thyroid (hyperthyroidism). Then I went to a gastroenterologist and he said I have gastroparesis. I wanted a second doctor to make sure. After going to the second doctor, he confirmed I have gastroparesis. I have been diagnosed for 3 months, still trying new things. I have lost 30 pound, want to get better soon! Need to figure this out.

Comment from: SVH105, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: April 11

I have just been diagnosed with gastroparesis and I"m a type 2 diabetic. According to the test results it took 90 minutes to empty 22% of the egg into the small intestine leaving 78% still in my stomach. That seems to me that eating six small meals a day I will never empty my stomach. As it is right now I cannot eat breakfast until about 10:00 AM, (usually one scrambled egg) and I"m not ready to eat again until 7:00 PM and that would be a small bowl of soup. I have a call into my endocrinologist I"m just waiting to hear back from him.

Comment from: Suzi, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 20

I've had and endoscopy and stomach emptying test along with sonograms, biliary scan and blood work. Felt like I was having a heart attack! I have a gall bladder stone and I was just diagnosed with gastroparesis. I am on 40 mg of Prilosec and hyoscyamine. I've had hiatal hernia and GERD for 30 years. I just lost 30 lbs in the past two months. I eat very small meals and no more junk food. A friend just turned me on to some natural herbal things. I've started two days ago and it is helping more than the medical tablets. Fifteen minutes before any meal I open a capsule of slippery elm into 4 oz of filtered or spring water and let it set for few minutes. I then chew a tablet called DGL (licorice root) and drink the water with slippery elm. I get it from any good health food store. I have to tell you it is really helping! My friend swears by it and said after three weeks she's off her stomach medications! I"m going to continue!

Comment from: Webster64, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: March 13

I am 28 year old female and I have been living with gastroparesis (GP) and a hiatal hernia for 11 years. I've lost 50 lbs and am at the emergency room every month. The pain is so intense and I'm on Reglan, Zofran, Bentyl, Protonix, Xanax and Percocet. Over the years I've tried everything, endoscopy, stomach emptying scans, PH studies, the works. I've gotten no results and the hospital thinks you are seeking drugs or going through withdrawal. It's not fair, I'm in intense pain every day and I've gotten no results. At first they said it was mental but when they did the right testing they saw it wasn't. This is running my life and no one can help or wants to, they just label you.

Gastroparesis - Diagnosis Question: How was your gastroparesis diagnosed?
Gastroparesis - Possible Causes Question: What do you believe was the cause of your gastroparesis?
Gastroparesis - Symptoms Question: What symptoms do you experience with your gastroparesis?
Gastroparesis - Treatment Question: What kinds of treatment, including diet and medication, have you tried for gastroparesis?