Patient Comments: Gastroparesis - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with gastroparesis.

Comment from: SL, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: July 06

I have had this disease for a very long time (over 30 years) but the attacks are infrequent. The first attack I had at the age of 24 and lasted around four hours. The frequency of attacks was typically around once a year. I was diagnosed a diabetic around ten years after that initial attack. The result of being diagnosed a diabetic led to a gradual reduction of weight. Today, I have a BMI of around 25. Dropping weight has lengthened the time between gastroparesis attacks but the duration of the attack has gotten longer. The most recent attack lasted over 24 hours and I had to contact my physician.

Comment from: Erika B, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 06

I suffer from periodic attacks of gastroparesis (GP). Fortunately I found a gastroenterologist who was willing to write me a prescription for domperidone, which I get from Canada. I also found a product called Iberogast that promotes gastrointestinal motility. I don't know how well it works for the more severe cases, but it cuts down on the frequency of my attacks as long as I use it regularly. It also allowed me to get off of the proton pump inhibitors (PPIs) I've been taking for years. The other thing that helped was eliminating sugar and carbs. I used to be on Amitiza for constipation, but I was able to stop taking that after I went on a low carb diet. If I eat carbs I get constipated within 1 or 2 days like clockwork. I need to get better at taking the domperidone and Iberogast regularly, but they both make me so hungry, and I, unlike some sufferers of GP don't really need to put on weight. When I get an attack my body actually makes me think I'm hungry and as soon as I eat the trap is sprung. Even if it's only a small amount of food. I fall for it every time. Then I'm in pain for 10 to 12 hours. I usually have to make myself vomit to empty my stomach. I don't get nauseous like some people do. I hope my finds can help some of you. Most important is the find a sympathetic doctor who listens to you and understands what you are going through. My doctor actually put his own wife on Iberogast for GERD after I told him of my experience with it. That's how I know he listens. Peace and health to you all.

Comment from: 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: June 22

I just found out I have gastroparesis along with polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS). I have not lost weight, instead I have gained weight and can't seem to be able to lose it even exercising. I have terrible heart burn and abdominal pain. You do feel lost and helpless when the doctor tells you there is no cure, just treatment, and the treatment is trial and error. It has been tough.

Comment from: paula, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: June 07

I have been throwing up or have diarrhea at least for 3 days often 4 days a week. I have put some things on hold when I can't get out of the house. I own a business and it has had a huge impact on how I can or can't. This is 18 months into this awful life and I just was diagnosed with gastroparesis. My primary doctor never caught it. He kept telling me it was the medicines. So we experimented, and lo and behold, it was diagnosed last week when I went to the cardiologist and I brought it up. I was floored. So today I see my doctor and I will see a rheumatologist for the scleroderma which I suspect is part of it. I have lost 60 lb which is good but my body has been through the mill. Thanks for listening.

Comment from: Mikes wife, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 16

I was diagnosed with gastroparesis in March of 2016. I am taking Domperidone and while it helps with digestion and bowel movements, it isn't helping much with belly pain. I've lost 40 lb so far, but want to figure out how to stop the pain. Antacids don't do much and I've read that if you take too many they can cause more problems. I see my gastrointestinal specialist at the end of the month, but would be interested in knowing how others deal with it.

Comment from: rita, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: July 15

I have had 3 breast biopsies and 4 mammograms in 2 years for very itchy nipples. Now I heard that domperidone increases lactation. I've been on domperidone and Prevacid for years for gastroparesis but never realized the connection to the breast! I can't understand why the doctor wouldn't put these facts together! I am 70 and now I think this has caused all my turmoil with the incredible itchy breast, while doctors are thinking inflammatory breast cancer! This should be in the side effects list!

Gastroparesis - Diagnosis Question: How was your gastroparesis diagnosed?
Gastroparesis - Possible Causes Question: What do you believe was the cause of your gastroparesis?
Gastroparesis - Symptoms Question: What symptoms do you experience with your gastroparesis?
Gastroparesis - Treatment Question: What kinds of treatment, including diet and medication, have you tried for gastroparesis?