Patient Comments: Gastroparesis - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with gastroparesis.

Comment from: Rose, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 22

I have been diagnosed in 2013 with gastroparesis. When I landed in the emergency room, I went in weighing 97 lb. I take about 30 prescriptions a day, I have had the Botox injection, all kinds of medications, and even the Medtronic Enterra stimulator all in 2013. I gained 30 lb. due to the medicines that I have been taking. Well, here we are in 2016 and I still struggle with gastroparesis. My illness is in control of my life. I cannot go out of the house, my home is my safe haven. I do not know when I will have an overwhelming nausea that literally makes me faint, or vomiting. I have gone 8 days without any bowel movement; that is also called a blockage, bezoar is the medical word if I am not mistaken. I am not allowed to drive due to my medical condition. The diarrhea that I get without warning! All of this is from my gastroparesis. I surely need a good support group. I would love to talk to a person that knows exactly what I am feeling and my concerns.

Comment from: Merle G, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 15

I was diagnosed with gastroparesis 2 years ago and also have GERD, IBS, and chronic colitis. I've lost 30 lb. which is bad because I'm not a big woman to begin with. I take Reglan, Carafate, omeprazole and Zofran along with medication for my colitis. I must watch what I eat and have small meals so I don't vomit, and nausea, gas, bloating and abdominal pain are always an issue. I'd like to hear more about the Botox injection.

Comment from: Sheri K, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 08

Tiffany G, I saw your post on the Botox injections and everything else you have with your gastroparesis. Let me know how these work for you and if you have any problems. My doctor has not told me about them yet, but I have heard about them quite often recently and currently not sure how much longer I can last on this road of doing nothing. The gastroparesis makes my GERD symptoms so bad that I end up with chest, back, neck and throat pain for weeks and all they can say is eat less, drink more, take your medicines and there is nothing else we can do.

Comment from: Terriann, 75 or over Female (Caregiver) Published: February 23

My mother was diagnosed with diverticulitis in April which I don't think was what she had. In November the doctor then said she had gastroparesis. This is what she probably had all along because she was at the point where she could not eat or drink anything. All medications prescribed did not help. She went from 160 lb. to 105 and in December died of starvation. This disease needs to be diagnosed quickly and correctly or you can die from it. Watching my mother go through this was the worst thing I have ever gone through in my entire life! Make sure you get 2nd opinions and get to the right doctors if you ever have gastroparesis.

Comment from: TiffenyG., 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 08

I have been sick for a little over a year and was finally diagnosed with gastroparesis. I also have GERD and (laryngopharyngeal reflux) LPR. I am currently using 40 mg of omeprazole 2 times a day. I tried Reglan but could not tolerate it. My gastroenterologist is planning on doing Botox injections in my stomach to treat the gastroparesis. I was wondering if anyone had had this procedure and if so, how it went. Also, I was wondering if anyone has had the Stretta Procedure. It has shown to not only strengthen the LES (lower esophageal sphincter), but also help with gastroparesis. It's non-invasive and something I'd like to hear more patient experience about. Thank You!

Comment from: Holly, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 25

I feel your pain. I never go anywhere either. There is a group for gastroparesis on Facebook. They are very supportive.

Comment from: Nicole, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 09

My gastroparesis was horrible; being on potassium 3 to 4 times a year. A group finally gave me the advice where there is something called a gastric pacemaker and it saved my life.

Gastroparesis - Diagnosis Question: How was your gastroparesis diagnosed?
Gastroparesis - Possible Causes Question: What do you believe was the cause of your gastroparesis?
Gastroparesis - Symptoms Question: What symptoms do you experience with your gastroparesis?
Gastroparesis - Treatment Question: What kinds of treatment, including diet and medication, have you tried for gastroparesis?