Patient Comments: Gastroparesis - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with gastroparesis.

Comment from: 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: June 22

I just found out I have gastroparesis along with polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS). I have not lost weight, instead I have gained weight and can't seem to be able to lose it even exercising. I have terrible heart burn and abdominal pain. You do feel lost and helpless when the doctor tells you there is no cure, just treatment, and the treatment is trial and error. It has been tough.

Comment from: paula, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: June 07

I have been throwing up or have diarrhea at least for 3 days often 4 days a week. I have put some things on hold when I can't get out of the house. I own a business and it has had a huge impact on how I can or can't. This is 18 months into this awful life and I just was diagnosed with gastroparesis. My primary doctor never caught it. He kept telling me it was the medicines. So we experimented, and lo and behold, it was diagnosed last week when I went to the cardiologist and I brought it up. I was floored. So today I see my doctor and I will see a rheumatologist for the scleroderma which I suspect is part of it. I have lost 60 lb which is good but my body has been through the mill. Thanks for listening.

Comment from: Mikes wife, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 16

I was diagnosed with gastroparesis in March of 2016. I am taking Domperidone and while it helps with digestion and bowel movements, it isn't helping much with belly pain. I've lost 40 lb so far, but want to figure out how to stop the pain. Antacids don't do much and I've read that if you take too many they can cause more problems. I see my gastrointestinal specialist at the end of the month, but would be interested in knowing how others deal with it.

Comment from: Rose, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 22

I have been diagnosed in 2013 with gastroparesis. When I landed in the emergency room, I went in weighing 97 lb. I take about 30 prescriptions a day, I have had the Botox injection, all kinds of medications, and even the Medtronic Enterra stimulator all in 2013. I gained 30 lb. due to the medicines that I have been taking. Well, here we are in 2016 and I still struggle with gastroparesis. My illness is in control of my life. I cannot go out of the house, my home is my safe haven. I do not know when I will have an overwhelming nausea that literally makes me faint, or vomiting. I have gone 8 days without any bowel movement; that is also called a blockage, bezoar is the medical word if I am not mistaken. I am not allowed to drive due to my medical condition. The diarrhea that I get without warning! All of this is from my gastroparesis. I surely need a good support group. I would love to talk to a person that knows exactly what I am feeling and my concerns.

Comment from: Merle G, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 15

I was diagnosed with gastroparesis 2 years ago and also have GERD, IBS, and chronic colitis. I've lost 30 lb. which is bad because I'm not a big woman to begin with. I take Reglan, Carafate, omeprazole and Zofran along with medication for my colitis. I must watch what I eat and have small meals so I don't vomit, and nausea, gas, bloating and abdominal pain are always an issue. I'd like to hear more about the Botox injection.

Comment from: Holly, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 25

I feel your pain. I never go anywhere either. There is a group for gastroparesis on Facebook. They are very supportive.

Comment from: Sheri K, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 08

Tiffany G, I saw your post on the Botox injections and everything else you have with your gastroparesis. Let me know how these work for you and if you have any problems. My doctor has not told me about them yet, but I have heard about them quite often recently and currently not sure how much longer I can last on this road of doing nothing. The gastroparesis makes my GERD symptoms so bad that I end up with chest, back, neck and throat pain for weeks and all they can say is eat less, drink more, take your medicines and there is nothing else we can do.

Gastroparesis - Diagnosis Question: How was your gastroparesis diagnosed?
Gastroparesis - Possible Causes Question: What do you believe was the cause of your gastroparesis?
Gastroparesis - Symptoms Question: What symptoms do you experience with your gastroparesis?
Gastroparesis - Treatment Question: What kinds of treatment, including diet and medication, have you tried for gastroparesis?