Patient Comments: Gastroparesis - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with gastroparesis.

Comment from: designatedhugger, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 02

I have not been diagnosed by a doctor, but in researching my symptoms, gastroparesis seems to be the most likely diagnosis. I have no idea why it started, but in 2013, I started getting sick every time I ate. I began cutting out food groups. I already knew I was lactose intolerant and hypoglycemic, and tree nuts give me migraines as does sugar, and meat does not digest well for me. I had already cut out these things. So I started with gluten. That didn't do it. So I cut out everything processed. I was living on eggs, fresh fruits and vegetables. After 7 months of feeling nauseated, dizzy, every cell in my body quivering, and severe fatigue, it got to the point that even drinking water made me feel awful. I weighed 104 pounds by then, and I'm 5 ft 5 in. I was pretty sure I was dying, couldn't even get life insurance. My husband saw a doctor on TV talking about gastroparesis so we looked it up. It seems to fit my symptoms which are intermittent. I can go months and feel fine, then it hits. It seems to be worse when I have raw vegetables or lots of roughage. It's back now and I am putting 1 or 2 drops of tangerine essential oil in water and drinking it when I eat anything. I do protein shakes for breakfast and if I could afford it, I'd do them for every meal. Liquids seem to be easier on me. I wonder if anyone else has these other symptoms. I just see nausea and vomiting mentioned. I have the nausea terribly but don't vomit. But the rest of the symptoms are horrible.

Comment from: lj, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 14

I was diagnosed with gastroparesis about 3 years after they took out my gallbladder, and then a hysterectomy. I had many tests, and I mean many tests. I have constant pain and nausea and I have episodes where I start to vomit and won't stop, and have to be hospitalized. Of course I take Reglan and Zofran, and the gastroenterologist along with pain clinic prescribed me the pain medicines, and a stool softener because of the narcotics. When I get these episodes, I get hospitalized and get treated as a pill seeker. I get some doctors who won't treat my pain even though they know stopping cold turkey will cause withdrawals, and I suffer for days. One time I even ended up in kidney failure. I have lost everything because of this disease. I'm tired of it and tired of being mistreated by hospitals.

Comment from: Kiffy, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: September 12

After receiving a gastrointestinal work up prior to HCV (hepatitis C virus) treatment, it was noted that I have some gastroparesis due to chronic pain treatment. I've never received specific treatment for it. I ate a heavy meal last night that contained fat and a lot of fiber. I am sick in bed today. I have had nausea and vomiting 4 times since dawn. How can my chronic back pain be treated if I can't take the morphine! I have lost much weight and am 119 on a 5 ft 2 inch frame.

Comment from: BeeBrielle94, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: August 01

I have been suffering intense heartburn, nausea and bloating for nearly 4 years. I finally went to my general physician about 2.5 years ago and was given Nexium and Maxolon (5 tablets a day in total) before having a gastroscopy. This then led to having a gastric emptying study done, which showed that I have gastroparesis. My specialist on the other hand has provided me with no support on how to manage my condition and has frequently told me to just try and manage the symptoms. I am still taking 5 tablets a day, plus a metabolism booster and I still cannot enjoy a meal without it making me unwell some hours after. I am also having a massive issue in losing weight, despite going to the gym (mostly for cardio) 4 to 6 times a week and eating relatively healthy. I cannot get any relief or any explanation as to why I have this condition as I am 22, a non-smoker, non-drinker and I am not a diabetic. I have tried exclusion diets, liquid diets and have even resorted to not eating for a few days to see if it helped but regardless, I have had terrible heartburn. I have read that a few of you have said that weight loss has helped and I am trying but despite my best efforts I cannot get it to lower or get my heartburn to go away. I am in so much pain and I really need suggestions.

Gastroparesis - Diagnosis Question: How was your gastroparesis diagnosed?
Gastroparesis - Possible Causes Question: What do you believe was the cause of your gastroparesis?
Gastroparesis - Symptoms Question: What symptoms do you experience with your gastroparesis?
Gastroparesis - Treatment Question: What kinds of treatment, including diet and medication, have you tried for gastroparesis?