Patient Comments: Gastroparesis - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with gastroparesis.

Comment from: Moving on hopefully, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 21

I had gastroparesis for 3 years on and off I lost about 20 to 30 pounds; tried everything. Zofran gave some relief from vomiting and Zantac helped some with terrible heartburn. Then I had Botox injection into the pyloric valve and within 2 weeks I felt like a new person. It has been 10 months and it is just starting to return. It has been wonderful, I would like to offer the treatment to everyone and hope it helps you like it did me.

Comment from: Jeremy, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: April 02

My wife has been diagnosed with gastroparesis after having her gallbladder removed. It has been horrible. She is on medication but it has not helped. She is limited to five foods that she does not throw up. Last Monday she couldn't even keep down water or Gatorade. We are in the hospital now and they don't know what to do.

Comment from: helped, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: March 10

I have gastroparesis and my doctor put me on buspirone 10 mg before each meal and it worked. He gave me my life back. I had been suffering from malnutrition which affected my brain and gave me symptoms of Alzheimer's. After eating properly for 2 months my brain fog cleared and I'm feeling so much better! I hope this helps!

Comment from: ladybug78, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 28

I am at a crossroads because I don't know what to do. I had the GET (gastric emptying test) done, the 2 hour one, and tested normal. But I still have every symptom of gastroparesis (minus the vomiting)! I had an endoscopy and colonoscopy which both turned out normal. The GET was only for 2 hours and I read that a lot of people get missed in the 2 hour test. I also read that with gastroparesis, the symptoms vary day to day so I could have just been having a good day when they tested. I don't know if I should try to find a 4 hour test center to confirm. I have lost a lot of weight due to not having an appetite. I also feel weak and am starting to worry about not getting enough nutrients. I go back to my regular doctor this week because I can't afford to keep going to the specialist, especially if they can't find anything.

Comment from:, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 21

I was told I have this gastroparesis. I have been sick for months. They have tried all different medications. So far no luck, now I am off to a new specialist. I am so tired of vomiting all the time. I even throw liquids up. My belly feels bloated and full clear to my throat. I live off mashed potatoes and Jell-O and sometimes a little chicken. What a way of life! I keep hoping for that miracle.

Comment from: wowgeebear, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 04

I know what you mean by swelling to the point of severe pain after eating. With gastroparesis I cannot eat anything, I swell and can't breathe, and it pushes on my diaphragm. I have also tried Reglan, then my restless legs kick in. I have been to emergency room 28 times in 1 year and they gave me morphine and sent me home. I have been from doctor to doctor and after 4 1/2 years I am still suffering. I even went to pain specialist.

Comment from: Mike, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: February 26

I just got diagnosed with gastroparesis and my endocrinologist swears he has no idea why as I have Hashimoto's thyroiditis and adrenal insufficiency. I got an endoscopy 10 months ago and the gastroenterologist said my stomach being whacked out was a coincidence and then fired me. With the new gastroenterologist I had to go eat an egg, and he finalized the diagnosis. I am in a lot of pain and emotionally spent as all the endocrinologist said was to take more steroids for my adrenals.

Gastroparesis - Diagnosis Question: How was your gastroparesis diagnosed?
Gastroparesis - Possible Causes Question: What do you believe was the cause of your gastroparesis?
Gastroparesis - Symptoms Question: What symptoms do you experience with your gastroparesis?
Gastroparesis - Treatment Question: What kinds of treatment, including diet and medication, have you tried for gastroparesis?