Patient Comments: Gastroparesis - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with gastroparesis.

Comment from: Lisam, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 16

After 15 plus years of stomach problems and many years of gastroenterologist consultation, my doctor finally took me and my symptoms seriously enough to do further testing. Emptying tests revealed I wasn't emptying after 4 hours and an EGG test was also abnormal. I am currently seeing a surgeon to schedule a date for the gastric pacemaker. I can't live with the serious attacks of gastroparesis anymore so I'll take my chances for now that the pacemaker is the answer. If it doesn't work out then we'll have to cross that bridge. Gastroparesis is a horrible disease and I feel for anyone who suffers with this.

Comment from: Vetty, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 09

A few days ago a gastric emptying test confirmed gastroparesis. Since I'm diabetic, I understand it is nerve damage. I have also been in hypothyroid treatment for over 30 years. Bloating and abdominal pain is frustrating, pain is not limited to stomach, sometimes affecting ability to sleep or mop the floor. Next appointment is in August. I have been waiting to be treated since last year. I started diet on my own when the condition started. It has helped to lower blood glucose and lose weight. Thanks to your informative article, I will grind food and hope for some relief in the meanwhile.

Comment from: designatedhugger, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 02

I have not been diagnosed by a doctor, but in researching my symptoms, gastroparesis seems to be the most likely diagnosis. I have no idea why it started, but in 2013, I started getting sick every time I ate. I began cutting out food groups. I already knew I was lactose intolerant and hypoglycemic, and tree nuts give me migraines as does sugar, and meat does not digest well for me. I had already cut out these things. So I started with gluten. That didn't do it. So I cut out everything processed. I was living on eggs, fresh fruits and vegetables. After 7 months of feeling nauseated, dizzy, every cell in my body quivering, and severe fatigue, it got to the point that even drinking water made me feel awful. I weighed 104 pounds by then, and I'm 5 ft 5 in. I was pretty sure I was dying, couldn't even get life insurance. My husband saw a doctor on TV talking about gastroparesis so we looked it up. It seems to fit my symptoms which are intermittent. I can go months and feel fine, then it hits. It seems to be worse when I have raw vegetables or lots of roughage. It's back now and I am putting 1 or 2 drops of tangerine essential oil in water and drinking it when I eat anything. I do protein shakes for breakfast and if I could afford it, I'd do them for every meal. Liquids seem to be easier on me. I wonder if anyone else has these other symptoms. I just see nausea and vomiting mentioned. I have the nausea terribly but don't vomit. But the rest of the symptoms are horrible.

Comment from: lj, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 14

I was diagnosed with gastroparesis about 3 years after they took out my gallbladder, and then a hysterectomy. I had many tests, and I mean many tests. I have constant pain and nausea and I have episodes where I start to vomit and won't stop, and have to be hospitalized. Of course I take Reglan and Zofran, and the gastroenterologist along with pain clinic prescribed me the pain medicines, and a stool softener because of the narcotics. When I get these episodes, I get hospitalized and get treated as a pill seeker. I get some doctors who won't treat my pain even though they know stopping cold turkey will cause withdrawals, and I suffer for days. One time I even ended up in kidney failure. I have lost everything because of this disease. I'm tired of it and tired of being mistreated by hospitals.

Gastroparesis - Diagnosis Question: How was your gastroparesis diagnosed?
Gastroparesis - Possible Causes Question: What do you believe was the cause of your gastroparesis?
Gastroparesis - Symptoms Question: What symptoms do you experience with your gastroparesis?
Gastroparesis - Treatment Question: What kinds of treatment, including diet and medication, have you tried for gastroparesis?