Patient Comments: Gastroparesis - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with gastroparesis.

Comment from: 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: January 05

I was diagnosed with gastroparesis (GP) last year. I have been sick for about six years or more. It started with vomiting and severe weight loss in 2001. The doctors could not diagnose me, so they removed my gall bladder. I had constant vomiting and diarrhea. After the gallbladder surgery, I continued to get worse over the years. After last year's diagnosis, I tried every medication (with no result), and then they Botoxed my duodenum. That seemed to work the first time. It failed after about three months, and last Christmas, they did it again. Again, it did not work. I finally received a gastric pacemaker. This gave me good results, but I was still sick sometimes. Unfortunately, I received an electrical shock this September and destroyed the unit. They have replaced it, and I am having a much worse time this time.

Comment from: HKatie, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: January 05

Don't be afraid of the side effects of domperidone; it is a wonder drug! I have been through hell and back with gastroparesis (GP). It started with nausea and vomiting, all day, every day. Then they took out my gallbladder. I got better for about two weeks. Then I had an ERCP. I had stones and sludge in my bile duct. After I had that cleared up, I got better for about a month. Then my GI doctor told me he could do nothing more for me; he basically gave up. So I tried it on my own for six months, but still I had nausea and vomiting after all food and most liquids. Then I found a wonderful doctor who put me on domperidone. I am a little better and can function. For the most part, liquids stay down now, and I can eat bread. That's a lot better than I have been able to do for the last year and a half!

Comment from: dbk, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 05

I was diagnosed with gastroparesis (GP) almost three years ago. Zelnorm helped the symptoms a bit, and then I was prescribed Reglan, which was effective for a while longer. It is no longer effective, and the new drugs I've tried since then haven't helped at all. I have tried many different diets as well with very little effect. I am constantly bloated and nauseated. I am desperate for relief and searching for a doctor who will perform surgery. Unfortunately, most doctors believe "surgery is not necessary." Obviously, these doctors do not have GP!

Comment from: Shannon, Female (Patient) Published: January 05

I was diagnosed with gastroparesis (GP) almost two years ago. My symptoms have been extreme at times: severe pain, nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea. My symptoms don't seem to be connected with what or when I eat. Sometimes I will have an episode that will last days at a time. I will often only eat a yogurt or a spoonful of cottage cheese every few hours just to keep my energy up. This is a miserable condition, and I empathize with all who have it.

Comment from: MSA, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 12

I was diagnosed with gastroparesis 8 years ago after exhibiting all of the symptoms and going through all of the tests that you people have. After years of struggle I was diagnosed with MSA (multiple system atrophy), a degenerative neurological disorder. This is a difficult disorder to diagnose. Please ask your doctors to do more testing and/or refer to a neurologist with expertise in this area.

Comment from: Carla, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 30

I have gastroparesis, I have tried everything for the last 2 years, I keep getting yeast infections in my intestines and throat, and they tell me I either need a feeding tube or stomach pump.

Comment from: jmasterj, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: July 17

I've been suffering from gastroparesis my entire life. At times the symptoms were so bad I've considered suicide. The only things that keeps me going are the fact that the symptoms are sometimes tolerable and even go away entirely for short periods of time. It's a really horrible condition to live with and took many years and many thousands of dollars being misdiagnosed with other conditions by many doctors.

Comment from: Naz, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 10

After eating, I feel full and 10 to 15 minutes or sometime sooner, I vomit all the food. This has started since 2008. I am on Prilosec 40 mg now.

Gastroparesis - Diagnosis Question: How was your gastroparesis diagnosed?
Gastroparesis - Possible Causes Question: What do you believe was the cause of your gastroparesis?
Gastroparesis - Symptoms Question: What symptoms do you experience with your gastroparesis?
Gastroparesis - Treatment Question: What kinds of treatment, including diet and medication, have you tried for gastroparesis?