Patient Comments: Gastroparesis - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with gastroparesis.

Comment from: Nicole, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 09

My gastroparesis was horrible; being on potassium 3 to 4 times a year. A group finally gave me the advice where there is something called a gastric pacemaker and it saved my life.

Comment from: Susana, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 22

I got DGE (delayed gastric emptying) study because a nurse told me to ask for it but none of the doctors could tell what I had. After colonoscopy my doctor found that I got Helicobacter pylori bacteria but I still have bloating stomach. I have had gastroparesis since I was born I guess, my mom said that I was constipated all the time so she had to give me a liquid (medication) to make me go. My diet was very poor in this country so it made it harder for me trying to get better.

Comment from: wowgeebear, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 04

I know what you mean by swelling to the point of severe pain after eating. With gastroparesis I cannot eat anything, I swell and can't breathe, and it pushes on my diaphragm. I have also tried Reglan, then my restless legs kick in. I have been to emergency room 28 times in 1 year and they gave me morphine and sent me home. I have been from doctor to doctor and after 4 1/2 years I am still suffering. I even went to pain specialist.

Comment from: Mike, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: February 26

I just got diagnosed with gastroparesis and my endocrinologist swears he has no idea why as I have Hashimoto's thyroiditis and adrenal insufficiency. I got an endoscopy 10 months ago and the gastroenterologist said my stomach being whacked out was a coincidence and then fired me. With the new gastroenterologist I had to go eat an egg, and he finalized the diagnosis. I am in a lot of pain and emotionally spent as all the endocrinologist said was to take more steroids for my adrenals.

Comment from: dotty, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 20

I was diagnosed in 2012 with idiopathic gastroparesis. It has steadily gotten worse. Nausea is so bad, that even drinking water isn't appealing. The specialist believes I could really benefit from domperidone, but I can't afford it. At times something gets stuck in my throat, only to realize it is undigested food.

Comment from: MGraham, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 06

I had surgery for a recurrence of uterine cancer, and was in the hospital for 3 weeks because of ileus. Now, 2 years after surgery, chemotherapy, radiation and cyber knife - even though I've intentionally lost 25 pounds, my belly is still big. I'm constipated, get full quickly and nauseous after I eat. I haven't been to doctor for this yet, but it sure sounds like gastroparesis to me. I'm making an appointment to see the gastroenterologist next week. I'm so sorry that you are all suffering so badly.

Comment from: Russorachel, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: June 19

I'm 19 and I was diagnosed with gastroparesis 6 months ago. I'm only 5'2 and I'm supposed to be 95 to 100 lb. but since I've been diagnosed, I've dropped to 90. I'm nauseous all the time, have terrible stomach pain, and I'm constantly tired. I need a way to gain weight without killing my stomach.

Comment from: KarenH, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 17

I have been suffering from non-diabetic gastroparesis. This isn't living! Never knowing when my stomach will function or stop. In 1 year I spent 72 days in the hospital, nearly died more than once, ended up with a perforation and colon resection. There needs to be more research and treatments available. So far I've reached my doctor's goal of staying out of the hospital more than I am in. I want to 'live' my life, not just exist in it.

Gastroparesis - Diagnosis Question: How was your gastroparesis diagnosed?
Gastroparesis - Possible Causes Question: What do you believe was the cause of your gastroparesis?
Gastroparesis - Symptoms Question: What symptoms do you experience with your gastroparesis?
Gastroparesis - Treatment Question: What kinds of treatment, including diet and medication, have you tried for gastroparesis?