Patient Comments: Gastroparesis - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with gastroparesis.

Comment from: Mike, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: February 26

I just got diagnosed with gastroparesis and my endocrinologist swears he has no idea why as I have Hashimoto's thyroiditis and adrenal insufficiency. I got an endoscopy 10 months ago and the gastroenterologist said my stomach being whacked out was a coincidence and then fired me. With the new gastroenterologist I had to go eat an egg, and he finalized the diagnosis. I am in a lot of pain and emotionally spent as all the endocrinologist said was to take more steroids for my adrenals.

Comment from: dotty, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 20

I was diagnosed in 2012 with idiopathic gastroparesis. It has steadily gotten worse. Nausea is so bad, that even drinking water isn't appealing. The specialist believes I could really benefit from domperidone, but I can't afford it. At times something gets stuck in my throat, only to realize it is undigested food.

Comment from: MGraham, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 06

I had surgery for a recurrence of uterine cancer, and was in the hospital for 3 weeks because of ileus. Now, 2 years after surgery, chemotherapy, radiation and cyber knife - even though I've intentionally lost 25 pounds, my belly is still big. I'm constipated, get full quickly and nauseous after I eat. I haven't been to doctor for this yet, but it sure sounds like gastroparesis to me. I'm making an appointment to see the gastroenterologist next week. I'm so sorry that you are all suffering so badly.

Comment from: Russorachel, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: June 19

I'm 19 and I was diagnosed with gastroparesis 6 months ago. I'm only 5'2 and I'm supposed to be 95 to 100 lb. but since I've been diagnosed, I've dropped to 90. I'm nauseous all the time, have terrible stomach pain, and I'm constantly tired. I need a way to gain weight without killing my stomach.

Comment from: KarenH, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 17

I have been suffering from non-diabetic gastroparesis. This isn't living! Never knowing when my stomach will function or stop. In 1 year I spent 72 days in the hospital, nearly died more than once, ended up with a perforation and colon resection. There needs to be more research and treatments available. So far I've reached my doctor's goal of staying out of the hospital more than I am in. I want to 'live' my life, not just exist in it.

Comment from: Webster64, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: March 13

I am 28 year old female and I have been living with gastroparesis (GP) and a hiatal hernia for 11 years. I've lost 50 lbs and am at the emergency room every month. The pain is so intense and I'm on Reglan, Zofran, Bentyl, Protonix, Xanax and Percocet. Over the years I've tried everything, endoscopy, stomach emptying scans, PH studies, the works. I've gotten no results and the hospital thinks you are seeking drugs or going through withdrawal. It's not fair, I'm in intense pain every day and I've gotten no results. At first they said it was mental but when they did the right testing they saw it wasn't. This is running my life and no one can help or wants to, they just label you.

Comment from: Snowflake Warrior, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 12

I was diagnosed with gastroparesis 2 months ago after an episode that at first appeared to be cardiac related. All heart studies came back negative so the gastrointestinal consult was next. I have myasthenia gravis and have been diagnosed for about 14 years and thought I knew everything there is to know about MG. Apparently I missed the memo about gastroparesis being associated with myasthenia gravis. I am trying to stay on the low residue diet but I have always preferred a healthy, high fiber low fat diet so this is totally against the foods I enjoy eating. I have no appetite for these foods and would rather not eat. I will adjust but this is a very difficult condition to deal with.

Gastroparesis - Diagnosis Question: How was your gastroparesis diagnosed?
Gastroparesis - Possible Causes Question: What do you believe was the cause of your gastroparesis?
Gastroparesis - Symptoms Question: What symptoms do you experience with your gastroparesis?
Gastroparesis - Treatment Question: What kinds of treatment, including diet and medication, have you tried for gastroparesis?