Patient Comments: Gastroparesis - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with gastroparesis.

Comment from: Carol, 55-64 Female Published: January 05

I've had gastroparesis (GP) for several years. There is no reason for my diagnosis (such as diabetes). For me, liquids are the best. My stomach does not move food well on a good day, and if I have to take any antibiotics or steroids (for asthma), it causes my stomach to completely stop moving food at all. I have, at one point, lost 25 pounds and had to have a peg tube inserted to get enough nutrition because I had to take an antibiotic. I suggest if you are having trouble with food, try liquids and see how they work.Good luck.

Comment from: shebalady33, 25-34 Female (Caregiver) Published: January 05

Our daughter has had gastroparesis for the past four years and has just had a pacemaker fitted, but it's not too successful at the moment. She is a type one diabetic and has spent most of the last four years in hospitals, and they have tried everything possible to get her sorted.

Comment from: JSG77, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: December 04

I recently was told I have gastroparesis. I am on Reglan, but if I eat anything more than a cup at a time, I get bloated, gassy, dry heaves, and hiccups. I am frustrated on what to eat because if it's not the consistency of pudding or yogurt, I get really sick and constipated.

Comment from: Lendoco, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 17

After years of tests that didn't include a stomach emptying scan (although I did tell doctors about these symptoms), I did receive one at Spokane Digestive Center in Spokane Washington. This disorder became severe enough for me to be hospitalized with life threatening diarrhea and dehydration. Symptoms worsened over a period of three months. During this time I gained weight, though there were days at a time that I did not eat. I found it curious that weight loss is mentioned in my research but not weight gain.

Comment from: Doomed, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: November 17

I was originally diagnosed with GP three years ago. I was told it was the result of a bad viral infection that I had previous to my symptoms. I was prescribed Reglan, and experienced tremors, and swollen breasts. I stopped taking Reglan and since then I have been troubled with GP. I recently have gone though another round of tests only to discover the same prognosis. I am afraid it will only get worse, and I am frustrated that it is not curable.

Comment from: kat, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 17

I have gastroparesis and my stomach swells like a ballon every time I eat. I get gas, severe cramping and also vomit often. If I haven't eaten, it is dry heaves. I also have celiac disease and it is very hard to know what to eat because everything makes me sick.

Comment from: April , 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 17

I was diagnosed with gastroparesis 2 years ago. I have had daily nausea, pain and fatigue. I had an ERCP in 2006 in which the pressure was off and my main bile duct was closed. Things got better, but it all came back again a year later. ERCP #2 took place. Main bile duct blocked again. Pain went away. 2008 - ERCP #3 occurred. Main bile duct blocked again, liver was not draining, it was inflamed, and enzymes were high. All this time I have been taking Motillium. I had this third ERCP done 4 months ago. The doctor put a hole in my duodenum. I had to stay in the hospital for 5 days. I have been having severe pain in my liver, under my right breast. I have constant dull pain but after eating, severe pain for hours. The doctor doesn't know what it is. Liver ultrasound was normal. April

Comment from: skjk, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: November 17

I have been recently diagnosed with gastroparesis. I experienced severe stomach pains almost all the time, no appetite, nausea and diarrhea. I was told this was brought on due to me being a severe type 2 diabetic with my AC1 being at 13%. Normal sugar for me is at 350 to 400. I was admitted into the hospital with no food for over 26 hours and multiple insulin shots. My sugar would not drop below 400 that day. Now I need to deal with this everyday.

Gastroparesis - Diagnosis Question: How was your gastroparesis diagnosed?
Gastroparesis - Possible Causes Question: What do you believe was the cause of your gastroparesis?
Gastroparesis - Symptoms Question: What symptoms do you experience with your gastroparesis?
Gastroparesis - Treatment Question: What kinds of treatment, including diet and medication, have you tried for gastroparesis?