Patient Comments: Gastroparesis - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with gastroparesis.

Comment from: WhoKnew, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 10

I spent nearly a year not feeling well. I'm frequently not very hungry. My doctor has no ideas, but finally ordered an abdominal ultrasound after blood tests came back with slightly elevated liver enzymes. Nothing. By this time, I was nauseous daily, and had enough. I found a GI who was willing to be more aggressive about testing. He ordered a gastric-emptying study, among other tests. This study showed slow emptying, and here I am. My life was totally changed from even five months ago. So far, no constant vomiting, as many patients report. I hate the dietary changes, but it's not worth it to deviate.

Comment from: Merciful, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 02

I have been reading these posts and I can relate to what lots of people are saying. I don't vomit anymore unless I eat too much. I do get nauseated from time to time. My biggest issue with this is the feeling of being bloated all day and waking up with a bloated stomach. No matter what I eat or drink. I also deal with constipation, so I take Miralax, which kind of helps with the emptying. The one think I will say is that I refuse to take all those meds I have read about in these posts. I think I do better on my own. I went to a doctor who I feel gave up on me. So I'm going to just think positive.

Comment from: AmberK, 0-2 (Caregiver) Published: April 09

I'm the mother to a sweet little girl, who was diagnosed with gastroparesis at the age of 9 months. Her symptoms began when she was just a few weeks old. She is now 11 months old and I was wondering if anyone has a small child that has or is dealing with gastroparesis. I would love to know of ideas you may have used that helped out your little one(s).

Comment from: Danielle24, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: March 06

I have gastroparesis, and I was sick for years. No one could figure out what was wrong with me. They even said I was making myself sick, and it was all in my head. I was around 16 when it all started. I missed a lot of school because no one believed me, and when I did go to school, I was sent home right after lunch because I was in the bathroom bringing up everything I just ate, so the principal sent me home. No matter how many doctors I went to, they all said nothing was wrong. Then about three years ago, they finally found out that I was sick, and it was not in my head. They told me I had gastroparesis. I did not know what it was, but I knew I did not like it. Every year it just kept getting worse. Last year, I lost so much weight because I could not keep anything down at all, not even liquids. I had to go on a feeding tube. I was always in the hospital. I worry I am going to end up back on the feeding tube and there is nothing I can do about it. It is not something fun to live with (gastroparesis). I am only 24 years old, and I don't go out and do anything. I stay home and hope when I wake up each day that it will be better than the day before. I am going to fight it to the end. I will win my life back, it's just a matter of when.

Comment from: A Survivor, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 05

I almost died from gastroparesis (GP). I take Reglan and it does help some, but what I found helps the most is to take two to four ounces of aloe vera juice right before I eat a meal. I also take the probiotic acidophilus once a day and a special tea consisting of catnip herbs, chamomile flower, nettle leaf, oat straw, peppermint leaf, read clover blossom and slippery elm bark. These last three things I received from a naturalist when I almost died and the doctors had given up on me. I am healthier now than I have been in a long time, and that was just two months ago that I was so sick I almost died from this condition. Many times, the old ways are the best, and if you are not getting any relief from the Western medication, what do you really have to lose from trying? That is what I said, and I am really happy that I listened to myself. The Lord also plays a huge part in healing. Talk to Him.

Comment from: Karen, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 05

I have been diagnosed with gastroparesis (GP) recently. Since I don't match any of the criteria, I have no idea how I got this. I have nausea, sometimes dry heaves, bloating, diarrhea, a lot of pain, and weight loss. I had a reaction to Reglan, so now I'm looking for a new medication to help me.

Comment from: Kimberly, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: January 05

I was finally diagnosed with gastroparesis (GP) after seven months of testing and all of the doctors scratching their heads dumbfounded until I finally had a gastric emptying study performed a couple of months ago. When it started, I was vomiting several times a day, every day. I lost 30 pounds, which was a huge deal because I was already thin and very petite. I looked very, very sick. I had horrific abdominal pains and diarrhea. I couldn't eat or drink anything for days at a time because of the vomiting. I couldn't keep any nausea medications down long enough for them to help at all. I was in the hospital multiple times for severe dehydration. Now they still don't know what the cause is and still can't find any medications that help. So I continue to deal with it every day, hoping they can find something to help me soon.

Gastroparesis - Diagnosis Question: How was your gastroparesis diagnosed?
Gastroparesis - Possible Causes Question: What do you believe was the cause of your gastroparesis?
Gastroparesis - Symptoms Question: What symptoms do you experience with your gastroparesis?
Gastroparesis - Treatment Question: What kinds of treatment, including diet and medication, have you tried for gastroparesis?