Patient Comments: Gastroparesis - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with gastroparesis.

Comment from: anneketag, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 17

I'm a type 1 insulin dependent diabetic. On 3/3/2014 I will have been so for 48 years. My kidneys, liver and periphery are fine. Have had laser surgery on my right eye but can still see well enough to drive. I was chatting with a friend, who's also Type 1 and described my symptoms. She had been diagnosed a while before and told me the name of what I had. I went to my doctor with this and he agreed and had me start on acidophilus once a day. And it helped, for a time. First it was severe gas; I would wake up, sit up, open mouth and had to have a long, pronounced burp. The gas went the other way too. Following year, I had severe diarrhea. Now I am losing 10 pounds a month. I don't heal as well as I once did, even months ago. So the surgical option is out. The constipation has set in. The constant nausea and abdominal pain drains me. So I sleep off and on all day. My A1Cs have always been good, 6.7 last time. It's probably better now because I can't eat and the weight loss has caused severe insulin shock that I've trained my husband to treat. I don't want any more medicines. I can't have surgery. And I am sick and tired of being sick and tired. I started this weight loss process real padded. So I'll be around for a while.

Comment from: Debbie, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 16

I was diagnosed with gastroparesis after 3 visits to the emergency room and all 3 leading to in-patient stays. Finally one kind gastrointestinal physician came to my room for a consult. After listening to me he ordered a gastric emptying study and all of the problems I had been having were finally diagnosed. A cardiologist was even consulted and a heart catheterization was performed with negative findings. Domperidone has been such a life saver. If I avoid caffeine, alcohol, greasy foods and fried foods I am much better. I have the occasional nausea but nothing like before. The upper gastrointestinal pain I was having subsided with 150mg of Zantac twice daily in coordination with the domperidone. I know there are risks with the domperidone but the amount of relief I have experienced makes the risks seem not so bad.

Comment from: Countrymon51, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 16

I was diagnosed in December 2012 with idiopathic gastroparesis. I got it from oral surgery. I had a bone graft done and two days later my symptoms started up. I was directed to a gastroenterologist who sent me to numerous tests. A gastric emptying test revealed I had severe delayed emptying. I was on so many medication changes, and diet changes. I lost about 35 pounds in the first year. Although I started my symptoms from oral surgery, my doctor thinks I got it from a virus. Just two months ago I was placed on the stimulator. I suffer mostly from constant nausea and vomiting. I just seem to vomit every time after I eat. I have been vomiting up to 7 or 8 times a day. Even with the stimulator I am still vomiting. It started out great, but in a short time it all came back.

Comment from: Linda, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 28

I was recently told I have GP (gastroparesis) after several severe bouts of uncontrollable diarrhea and decidedly nasty vomiting that smelled and tasted like sulfur. I'm type 2 diabetic and have recently started insulin hoping to stave off more problems. I've barely started any major testing because I've had a hard time getting any appointments that anyone would consider timely. I don't vomit much, but I do suffer from fluctuating diarrhea and constipation along with major bloating. When the diarrhea returns, it is always preceded by what I call a "liquefied gut." By this, I mean there is a decidedly loud grumbling in my lower abdomen coupled with a fair amount of pain. When this starts, I know it's only a matter of time before the diarrhea returns. I think I may also have IBS (irritable bowel syndrome) because I find myself lactose intolerant, fructose intolerant, and mildly gluten intolerant. I've had a colonoscopy and an endoscopy and only found that I have a tortuous esophagus. Along with all of this, I constantly feel full after eating the smallest amount of food. Doing an abbreviated liquidation diet does nothing to provide me with the nutrition I need to remain healthy. My hope is that I find out what is going on in my body and that no one else ever has to suffer this horrible disorder/disease in the future.

Comment from: AP, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: December 04

I was diagnosed with gastroparesis two years ago after having a gastric motility scan. My gastroenterologist told me it probably came from a bad stomach virus I had suffered previously. We were hopeful I might overcome the gastroparesis in time, and for a while, I had a very mild case. (I was even was able to get off Prevacid by making changes in my diet.) Unfortunately, stress and another minor stomach bug appear to have erased those gains. I now have constant reflux that is barely controlled by Prevacid (taken twice every day), and I am on Carafate to protect my throat. I'm nearly at the end of the diet and lifestyle changes I can make: I do not smoke, drink, or drink soda. I am a vegetarian, so most of the big triggers were not in my daily routine even before I got gastroparesis. I've moved to small frequent meals and away from anything fried or fatty. The hardest part is the nausea and throat pain, I am finding that having no food in my stomach is as much a nausea trigger as having too much. Some days it's not clear what is triggering things to be worse or better. I do still drink coffee, but only in small amounts and on a full stomach. I cannot tolerate Reglan, and I am afraid to take domperidone. (The arrhythmia side effects scare me.) Coffee or a little bit of chocolate does seem to help get things moving after I eat. I can't take them on an empty stomach though; they make me feel sick if I do that.

Gastroparesis - Diagnosis Question: How was your gastroparesis diagnosed?
Gastroparesis - Possible Causes Question: What do you believe was the cause of your gastroparesis?
Gastroparesis - Symptoms Question: What symptoms do you experience with your gastroparesis?
Gastroparesis - Treatment Question: What kinds of treatment, including diet and medication, have you tried for gastroparesis?