Patient Comments: Gastroparesis - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with gastroparesis.

Comment from: dbk, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 05

I was diagnosed with gastroparesis (GP) almost three years ago. Zelnorm helped the symptoms a bit, and then I was prescribed Reglan, which was effective for a while longer. It is no longer effective, and the new drugs I've tried since then haven't helped at all. I have tried many different diets as well with very little effect. I am constantly bloated and nauseated. I am desperate for relief and searching for a doctor who will perform surgery. Unfortunately, most doctors believe "surgery is not necessary." Obviously, these doctors do not have GP!

Comment from: Shannon, Female (Patient) Published: January 05

I was diagnosed with gastroparesis (GP) almost two years ago. My symptoms have been extreme at times: severe pain, nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea. My symptoms don't seem to be connected with what or when I eat. Sometimes I will have an episode that will last days at a time. I will often only eat a yogurt or a spoonful of cottage cheese every few hours just to keep my energy up. This is a miserable condition, and I empathize with all who have it.

Comment from: geoff, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: August 20

I have suffered bloating, fullness etc, but no vomiting thankfully, for the last four years. Initially I was treated for the bacteria H. pylori and was told it had been removed with treatment but the issues remained and I have now been diagnosed with gastroparesis.

Comment from: Linda C, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 20

I've had gastroparesis for just over a year. I've lost more than 30 pounds, but the worst part is the intense pain I have that starts just at the breastbone and moves down the left side of my stomach area. I've tried liquid diets, but the pain is still intense. I was told by the GI doc that it was caused by my several stomach surgeries.

Comment from: Youngandhopeless, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: August 09

I am a 28 year old female. I have been having major stomach issues for 5-8 years, I have been diagnosed with extreme IBS, severe acid reflux, ulcers and most currently gastroparesis. I also have extreme panic disorder and because of this I have struggled with finding doctors who take me seriously (its all in my head..) and my current GI failed to tell me about the gastroparesis for 2 years after my gastric mobility test. I will not try Reglan due to the serious potential side effects. I do not tolerate erythromycin, that caused such a bad attack i was sent to the ER. Xanax/ativan are the only things that help, i cant stomach the pain meds. I can only tolerate liquids such as baby food, Boost, pur'ed soups and veggies/fruit and yogurt. Oh how I wish I could enjoy a real meal again. I am only 5'0 tall and have always fluctuated between 107-117lbs, I am now 98lbs and currently losing more every week. The last three months have been bad. I think of myself as a strong hard worker and I have missed so many days of work this year that I now have to take no pay when I get sick, which is more than once a week. At least I still have insurance. I am about to go see a gastric motility specialist so maybe things can finally get on the right track. I miss bring a young woman with friends, a social life. Leaving the house to do simple errands these days is difficult. I have no idea what triggers these attacks, that I relate to a "stomach seizure" I get hot and sweaty and vomit until there's nothing left but that doesn't stop the waves of nausea/cramping, I can't even talk during these things they are so painful-I can only take Xanax and make myself pass out and then I'm so weak for the next week. I do notice when I don't get enough sleep (every night) it's a lot worse the next day. I feel exactly like I'm really hungover minus the fun times and alcohol just about everyday. Seeing that I'm not the only one, I'm not making it up, is reassuring but I hate to hear so many others feel this awful.

Comment from: brent, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: May 28

I've had gastroparesis for about three years now. I don't have diabetes. The doctor said it was probably botulism in the food I eat that damaged the nerves in my digestive track. I was put on Reglan and it was terrible. I felt like I had the flu, so the doctor put me on Domperidone, which worked pretty well for a while. At least until the other day, when I blacked out. My blood pressure dropped, so I have weaned myself off the Domperidone and am taking half a Flexiril 30 minutes before each meal, as prescribed by my doctor. So far, it is working well, and I haven't felt nauseous.

Gastroparesis - Diagnosis Question: How was your gastroparesis diagnosed?
Gastroparesis - Possible Causes Question: What do you believe was the cause of your gastroparesis?
Gastroparesis - Symptoms Question: What symptoms do you experience with your gastroparesis?
Gastroparesis - Treatment Question: What kinds of treatment, including diet and medication, have you tried for gastroparesis?