Patient Comments: Gastroparesis - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with gastroparesis.

Comment from: Erika B, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 06

I suffer from periodic attacks of gastroparesis (GP). Fortunately I found a gastroenterologist who was willing to write me a prescription for domperidone, which I get from Canada. I also found a product called Iberogast that promotes gastrointestinal motility. I don't know how well it works for the more severe cases, but it cuts down on the frequency of my attacks as long as I use it regularly. It also allowed me to get off of the proton pump inhibitors (PPIs) I've been taking for years. The other thing that helped was eliminating sugar and carbs. I used to be on Amitiza for constipation, but I was able to stop taking that after I went on a low carb diet. If I eat carbs I get constipated within 1 or 2 days like clockwork. I need to get better at taking the domperidone and Iberogast regularly, but they both make me so hungry, and I, unlike some sufferers of GP don't really need to put on weight. When I get an attack my body actually makes me think I'm hungry and as soon as I eat the trap is sprung. Even if it's only a small amount of food. I fall for it every time. Then I'm in pain for 10 to 12 hours. I usually have to make myself vomit to empty my stomach. I don't get nauseous like some people do. I hope my finds can help some of you. Most important is the find a sympathetic doctor who listens to you and understands what you are going through. My doctor actually put his own wife on Iberogast for GERD after I told him of my experience with it. That's how I know he listens. Peace and health to you all.

Comment from: 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: June 22

I just found out I have gastroparesis along with polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS). I have not lost weight, instead I have gained weight and can't seem to be able to lose it even exercising. I have terrible heart burn and abdominal pain. You do feel lost and helpless when the doctor tells you there is no cure, just treatment, and the treatment is trial and error. It has been tough.

Comment from: paula, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: June 07

I have been throwing up or have diarrhea at least for 3 days often 4 days a week. I have put some things on hold when I can't get out of the house. I own a business and it has had a huge impact on how I can or can't. This is 18 months into this awful life and I just was diagnosed with gastroparesis. My primary doctor never caught it. He kept telling me it was the medicines. So we experimented, and lo and behold, it was diagnosed last week when I went to the cardiologist and I brought it up. I was floored. So today I see my doctor and I will see a rheumatologist for the scleroderma which I suspect is part of it. I have lost 60 lb which is good but my body has been through the mill. Thanks for listening.

Comment from: Mikes wife, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 16

I was diagnosed with gastroparesis in March of 2016. I am taking Domperidone and while it helps with digestion and bowel movements, it isn't helping much with belly pain. I've lost 40 lb so far, but want to figure out how to stop the pain. Antacids don't do much and I've read that if you take too many they can cause more problems. I see my gastrointestinal specialist at the end of the month, but would be interested in knowing how others deal with it.

Comment from: Rose, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 22

I have been diagnosed in 2013 with gastroparesis. When I landed in the emergency room, I went in weighing 97 lb. I take about 30 prescriptions a day, I have had the Botox injection, all kinds of medications, and even the Medtronic Enterra stimulator all in 2013. I gained 30 lb. due to the medicines that I have been taking. Well, here we are in 2016 and I still struggle with gastroparesis. My illness is in control of my life. I cannot go out of the house, my home is my safe haven. I do not know when I will have an overwhelming nausea that literally makes me faint, or vomiting. I have gone 8 days without any bowel movement; that is also called a blockage, bezoar is the medical word if I am not mistaken. I am not allowed to drive due to my medical condition. The diarrhea that I get without warning! All of this is from my gastroparesis. I surely need a good support group. I would love to talk to a person that knows exactly what I am feeling and my concerns.

Gastroparesis - Diagnosis Question: How was your gastroparesis diagnosed?
Gastroparesis - Possible Causes Question: What do you believe was the cause of your gastroparesis?
Gastroparesis - Symptoms Question: What symptoms do you experience with your gastroparesis?
Gastroparesis - Treatment Question: What kinds of treatment, including diet and medication, have you tried for gastroparesis?