Patient Comments: Gastroparesis - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with gastroparesis.

Comment from: Ed's wife, 65-74 Male (Caregiver) Published: December 01

His gastroparesis began about a month and a half ago. He had his gall bladder and bile duct removed and the symptoms are continuing exactly the same as before the surgery; horrible tasting belching, rock-hard abdomen, nausea, eventual vomiting, and gas.

Comment from: Moving on hopefully, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 21

I had gastroparesis for 3 years on and off I lost about 20 to 30 pounds; tried everything. Zofran gave some relief from vomiting and Zantac helped some with terrible heartburn. Then I had Botox injection into the pyloric valve and within 2 weeks I felt like a new person. It has been 10 months and it is just starting to return. It has been wonderful, I would like to offer the treatment to everyone and hope it helps you like it did me.

Comment from: Jeremy, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: April 02

My wife has been diagnosed with gastroparesis after having her gallbladder removed. It has been horrible. She is on medication but it has not helped. She is limited to five foods that she does not throw up. Last Monday she couldn't even keep down water or Gatorade. We are in the hospital now and they don't know what to do.

Comment from: helped, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: March 10

I have gastroparesis and my doctor put me on buspirone 10 mg before each meal and it worked. He gave me my life back. I had been suffering from malnutrition which affected my brain and gave me symptoms of Alzheimer's. After eating properly for 2 months my brain fog cleared and I'm feeling so much better! I hope this helps!

Comment from: ladybug78, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 28

I am at a crossroads because I don't know what to do. I had the GET (gastric emptying test) done, the 2 hour one, and tested normal. But I still have every symptom of gastroparesis (minus the vomiting)! I had an endoscopy and colonoscopy which both turned out normal. The GET was only for 2 hours and I read that a lot of people get missed in the 2 hour test. I also read that with gastroparesis, the symptoms vary day to day so I could have just been having a good day when they tested. I don't know if I should try to find a 4 hour test center to confirm. I have lost a lot of weight due to not having an appetite. I also feel weak and am starting to worry about not getting enough nutrients. I go back to my regular doctor this week because I can't afford to keep going to the specialist, especially if they can't find anything.

Comment from: tinybabybon@yahoo.co, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 21

I was told I have this gastroparesis. I have been sick for months. They have tried all different medications. So far no luck, now I am off to a new specialist. I am so tired of vomiting all the time. I even throw liquids up. My belly feels bloated and full clear to my throat. I live off mashed potatoes and Jell-O and sometimes a little chicken. What a way of life! I keep hoping for that miracle.

Comment from: Lost, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 16

I had an operation in October 2001 after which I developed an infection. I got admitted to the hospital for the infection. I did not eat. A nurse told me I had to eat before getting released. Since then I have been ill with gastroparesis. I went down to 98 lb. I could not eat and had feeding tubes. I was in and out of hospital. I had to take an early retirement and divorced after 35 years. Since the fall of 2012 I have been better. I no longer have feeding tubes. However, still get ill.

Comment from: CASemler, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 04

I was diagnosed with gastroparesis in August 2014; I had 8 plus years of daily stomach pains, acid reflux, bloating, nausea and just feeling like my stomach didn't want to digest anything I ate. It would feel like someone stuck a hook knife in my stomach and was trying to twist and pull my guts apart. It was always convulsing. I also have chronic allergies to all plants, so I thought my nausea was from that. Due to my age, my gastroenterologist did not expect this diagnosis. At first, I was just put on a carb free diet; no bread, pasta or rice. He changed my reflux medicines to Nexium and gave me some nausea medications. Then I had several rounds of testing. First, an ultrasound which came back clear. Then an endoscopy, which revealed yesterday afternoon's cookout food was still in my belly. Then the wonderful barium test, which also included the lemon-lime pop rocks, which blow up your stomach. That test revealed how slow my stomach was digesting. After confirmation, my doctor added Iberogast to my diet. I drink it before every meal. It has changed my situation to one that I can maintain. I also had to make a lot of diet changes like no longer drinking water/fluids with my meals (something the diet world taught me to do), no longer eating raw veggies and really watching out for foods that bloat. I also eat a small breakfast every day and lots of small ones throughout the day. I still run into problems with certain foods, but hopefully I'll be able to continue to change my ways and heal my belly.

Gastroparesis - Diagnosis Question: How was your gastroparesis diagnosed?
Gastroparesis - Possible Causes Question: What do you believe was the cause of your gastroparesis?
Gastroparesis - Symptoms Question: What symptoms do you experience with your gastroparesis?
Gastroparesis - Treatment Question: What kinds of treatment, including diet and medication, have you tried for gastroparesis?