Patient Comments: Gastroparesis - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with gastroparesis.

Comment from: Webster64, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: March 13

I am 28 year old female and I have been living with gastroparesis (GP) and a hiatal hernia for 11 years. I've lost 50 lbs and am at the emergency room every month. The pain is so intense and I'm on Reglan, Zofran, Bentyl, Protonix, Xanax and Percocet. Over the years I've tried everything, endoscopy, stomach emptying scans, PH studies, the works. I've gotten no results and the hospital thinks you are seeking drugs or going through withdrawal. It's not fair, I'm in intense pain every day and I've gotten no results. At first they said it was mental but when they did the right testing they saw it wasn't. This is running my life and no one can help or wants to, they just label you.

Comment from: Snowflake Warrior, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 12

I was diagnosed with gastroparesis 2 months ago after an episode that at first appeared to be cardiac related. All heart studies came back negative so the gastrointestinal consult was next. I have myasthenia gravis and have been diagnosed for about 14 years and thought I knew everything there is to know about MG. Apparently I missed the memo about gastroparesis being associated with myasthenia gravis. I am trying to stay on the low residue diet but I have always preferred a healthy, high fiber low fat diet so this is totally against the foods I enjoy eating. I have no appetite for these foods and would rather not eat. I will adjust but this is a very difficult condition to deal with.

Comment from: Countrymon51, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 16

I was diagnosed in December 2012 with idiopathic gastroparesis. I got it from oral surgery. I had a bone graft done and two days later my symptoms started up. I was directed to a gastroenterologist who sent me to numerous tests. A gastric emptying test revealed I had severe delayed emptying. I was on so many medication changes, and diet changes. I lost about 35 pounds in the first year. Although I started my symptoms from oral surgery, my doctor thinks I got it from a virus. Just two months ago I was placed on the stimulator. I suffer mostly from constant nausea and vomiting. I just seem to vomit every time after I eat. I have been vomiting up to 7 or 8 times a day. Even with the stimulator I am still vomiting. It started out great, but in a short time it all came back.

Comment from: Linda, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 28

I was recently told I have GP (gastroparesis) after several severe bouts of uncontrollable diarrhea and decidedly nasty vomiting that smelled and tasted like sulfur. I'm type 2 diabetic and have recently started insulin hoping to stave off more problems. I've barely started any major testing because I've had a hard time getting any appointments that anyone would consider timely. I don't vomit much, but I do suffer from fluctuating diarrhea and constipation along with major bloating. When the diarrhea returns, it is always preceded by what I call a "liquefied gut." By this, I mean there is a decidedly loud grumbling in my lower abdomen coupled with a fair amount of pain. When this starts, I know it's only a matter of time before the diarrhea returns. I think I may also have IBS (irritable bowel syndrome) because I find myself lactose intolerant, fructose intolerant, and mildly gluten intolerant. I've had a colonoscopy and an endoscopy and only found that I have a tortuous esophagus. Along with all of this, I constantly feel full after eating the smallest amount of food. Doing an abbreviated liquidation diet does nothing to provide me with the nutrition I need to remain healthy. My hope is that I find out what is going on in my body and that no one else ever has to suffer this horrible disorder/disease in the future.

Comment from: AP, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: December 04

I was diagnosed with gastroparesis two years ago after having a gastric motility scan. My gastroenterologist told me it probably came from a bad stomach virus I had suffered previously. We were hopeful I might overcome the gastroparesis in time, and for a while, I had a very mild case. (I was even was able to get off Prevacid by making changes in my diet.) Unfortunately, stress and another minor stomach bug appear to have erased those gains. I now have constant reflux that is barely controlled by Prevacid (taken twice every day), and I am on Carafate to protect my throat. I'm nearly at the end of the diet and lifestyle changes I can make: I do not smoke, drink, or drink soda. I am a vegetarian, so most of the big triggers were not in my daily routine even before I got gastroparesis. I've moved to small frequent meals and away from anything fried or fatty. The hardest part is the nausea and throat pain, I am finding that having no food in my stomach is as much a nausea trigger as having too much. Some days it's not clear what is triggering things to be worse or better. I do still drink coffee, but only in small amounts and on a full stomach. I cannot tolerate Reglan, and I am afraid to take domperidone. (The arrhythmia side effects scare me.) Coffee or a little bit of chocolate does seem to help get things moving after I eat. I can't take them on an empty stomach though; they make me feel sick if I do that.

Gastroparesis - Diagnosis Question: How was your gastroparesis diagnosed?
Gastroparesis - Possible Causes Question: What do you believe was the cause of your gastroparesis?
Gastroparesis - Symptoms Question: What symptoms do you experience with your gastroparesis?
Gastroparesis - Treatment Question: What kinds of treatment, including diet and medication, have you tried for gastroparesis?