Patient Comments: Gastroparesis - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with gastroparesis.

Comment from: lj, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 14

I was diagnosed with gastroparesis about 3 years after they took out my gallbladder, and then a hysterectomy. I had many tests, and I mean many tests. I have constant pain and nausea and I have episodes where I start to vomit and won't stop, and have to be hospitalized. Of course I take Reglan and Zofran, and the gastroenterologist along with pain clinic prescribed me the pain medicines, and a stool softener because of the narcotics. When I get these episodes, I get hospitalized and get treated as a pill seeker. I get some doctors who won't treat my pain even though they know stopping cold turkey will cause withdrawals, and I suffer for days. One time I even ended up in kidney failure. I have lost everything because of this disease. I'm tired of it and tired of being mistreated by hospitals.

Comment from: Waldo22, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: February 15

I had my esophagus removed 19 years ago. I had sleeping problems and other GERD related problems but didn't develop gastroparesis until about 5 years ago. I am 65 and only seem to have gastroparesis problems in the morning after breakfast.

Comment from: Kiffy, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: September 12

After receiving a gastrointestinal work up prior to HCV (hepatitis C virus) treatment, it was noted that I have some gastroparesis due to chronic pain treatment. I've never received specific treatment for it. I ate a heavy meal last night that contained fat and a lot of fiber. I am sick in bed today. I have had nausea and vomiting 4 times since dawn. How can my chronic back pain be treated if I can't take the morphine! I have lost much weight and am 119 on a 5 ft 2 inch frame.

Comment from: BeeBrielle94, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: August 01

I have been suffering intense heartburn, nausea and bloating for nearly 4 years. I finally went to my general physician about 2.5 years ago and was given Nexium and Maxolon (5 tablets a day in total) before having a gastroscopy. This then led to having a gastric emptying study done, which showed that I have gastroparesis. My specialist on the other hand has provided me with no support on how to manage my condition and has frequently told me to just try and manage the symptoms. I am still taking 5 tablets a day, plus a metabolism booster and I still cannot enjoy a meal without it making me unwell some hours after. I am also having a massive issue in losing weight, despite going to the gym (mostly for cardio) 4 to 6 times a week and eating relatively healthy. I cannot get any relief or any explanation as to why I have this condition as I am 22, a non-smoker, non-drinker and I am not a diabetic. I have tried exclusion diets, liquid diets and have even resorted to not eating for a few days to see if it helped but regardless, I have had terrible heartburn. I have read that a few of you have said that weight loss has helped and I am trying but despite my best efforts I cannot get it to lower or get my heartburn to go away. I am in so much pain and I really need suggestions.

Comment from: SL, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: July 06

I have had this disease for a very long time (over 30 years) but the attacks are infrequent. The first attack I had at the age of 24 and lasted around four hours. The frequency of attacks was typically around once a year. I was diagnosed a diabetic around ten years after that initial attack. The result of being diagnosed a diabetic led to a gradual reduction of weight. Today, I have a BMI of around 25. Dropping weight has lengthened the time between gastroparesis attacks but the duration of the attack has gotten longer. The most recent attack lasted over 24 hours and I had to contact my physician.

Gastroparesis - Diagnosis Question: How was your gastroparesis diagnosed?
Gastroparesis - Possible Causes Question: What do you believe was the cause of your gastroparesis?
Gastroparesis - Symptoms Question: What symptoms do you experience with your gastroparesis?
Gastroparesis - Treatment Question: What kinds of treatment, including diet and medication, have you tried for gastroparesis?