Patient Comments: Gastroparesis - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with gastroparesis.

Comment from: Terriann, 75 or over Female (Caregiver) Published: February 23

My mother was diagnosed with diverticulitis in April which I don't think was what she had. In November the doctor then said she had gastroparesis. This is what she probably had all along because she was at the point where she could not eat or drink anything. All medications prescribed did not help. She went from 160 lb. to 105 and in December died of starvation. This disease needs to be diagnosed quickly and correctly or you can die from it. Watching my mother go through this was the worst thing I have ever gone through in my entire life! Make sure you get 2nd opinions and get to the right doctors if you ever have gastroparesis.

Comment from: TiffenyG., 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 08

I have been sick for a little over a year and was finally diagnosed with gastroparesis. I also have GERD and (laryngopharyngeal reflux) LPR. I am currently using 40 mg of omeprazole 2 times a day. I tried Reglan but could not tolerate it. My gastroenterologist is planning on doing Botox injections in my stomach to treat the gastroparesis. I was wondering if anyone had had this procedure and if so, how it went. Also, I was wondering if anyone has had the Stretta Procedure. It has shown to not only strengthen the LES (lower esophageal sphincter), but also help with gastroparesis. It's non-invasive and something I'd like to hear more patient experience about. Thank You!

Comment from: ren, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: January 19

I have had gastroparesis for 4 years, only vomiting in the morning. I am diabetic and also have Addison's disease. I have had every test, and been to all specialists. I seem to make about 2 weeks and am back in hospital for 3 hours to a week or more. I am on domperidone, Buscopan. Metoclopramide, and Zofran. I have tried acupuncture point ST 36, and drinking hot fluids gives some relief some days. I have lost 40 pounds over the years and not getting any back. I am frustrated and ready for something to give. Blood sugars run good. I can't eat very much, I stop eating and drinking at 9 pm, take domperidone at bed up to 4 pills but no difference, and clear food diet. My doctors are just going through all the pills I have been on again. I am pretty much down to a feeding tube or gastro electric stimulation.

Comment from: Ed's wife, 65-74 Male (Caregiver) Published: December 01

His gastroparesis began about a month and a half ago. He had his gall bladder and bile duct removed and the symptoms are continuing exactly the same as before the surgery; horrible tasting belching, rock-hard abdomen, nausea, eventual vomiting, and gas.

Comment from: Moving on hopefully, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 21

I had gastroparesis for 3 years on and off I lost about 20 to 30 pounds; tried everything. Zofran gave some relief from vomiting and Zantac helped some with terrible heartburn. Then I had Botox injection into the pyloric valve and within 2 weeks I felt like a new person. It has been 10 months and it is just starting to return. It has been wonderful, I would like to offer the treatment to everyone and hope it helps you like it did me.

Comment from: Jeremy, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: April 02

My wife has been diagnosed with gastroparesis after having her gallbladder removed. It has been horrible. She is on medication but it has not helped. She is limited to five foods that she does not throw up. Last Monday she couldn't even keep down water or Gatorade. We are in the hospital now and they don't know what to do.

Comment from: helped, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: March 10

I have gastroparesis and my doctor put me on buspirone 10 mg before each meal and it worked. He gave me my life back. I had been suffering from malnutrition which affected my brain and gave me symptoms of Alzheimer's. After eating properly for 2 months my brain fog cleared and I'm feeling so much better! I hope this helps!

Gastroparesis - Diagnosis Question: How was your gastroparesis diagnosed?
Gastroparesis - Possible Causes Question: What do you believe was the cause of your gastroparesis?
Gastroparesis - Symptoms Question: What symptoms do you experience with your gastroparesis?
Gastroparesis - Treatment Question: What kinds of treatment, including diet and medication, have you tried for gastroparesis?