Patient Comments: Gastroparesis - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with gastroparesis.

Comment from: Lost, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 16

I had an operation in October 2001 after which I developed an infection. I got admitted to the hospital for the infection. I did not eat. A nurse told me I had to eat before getting released. Since then I have been ill with gastroparesis. I went down to 98 lb. I could not eat and had feeding tubes. I was in and out of hospital. I had to take an early retirement and divorced after 35 years. Since the fall of 2012 I have been better. I no longer have feeding tubes. However, still get ill.

Comment from: CASemler, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 04

I was diagnosed with gastroparesis in August 2014; I had 8 plus years of daily stomach pains, acid reflux, bloating, nausea and just feeling like my stomach didn't want to digest anything I ate. It would feel like someone stuck a hook knife in my stomach and was trying to twist and pull my guts apart. It was always convulsing. I also have chronic allergies to all plants, so I thought my nausea was from that. Due to my age, my gastroenterologist did not expect this diagnosis. At first, I was just put on a carb free diet; no bread, pasta or rice. He changed my reflux medicines to Nexium and gave me some nausea medications. Then I had several rounds of testing. First, an ultrasound which came back clear. Then an endoscopy, which revealed yesterday afternoon's cookout food was still in my belly. Then the wonderful barium test, which also included the lemon-lime pop rocks, which blow up your stomach. That test revealed how slow my stomach was digesting. After confirmation, my doctor added Iberogast to my diet. I drink it before every meal. It has changed my situation to one that I can maintain. I also had to make a lot of diet changes like no longer drinking water/fluids with my meals (something the diet world taught me to do), no longer eating raw veggies and really watching out for foods that bloat. I also eat a small breakfast every day and lots of small ones throughout the day. I still run into problems with certain foods, but hopefully I'll be able to continue to change my ways and heal my belly.

Comment from: MaryBeth J, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 21

I was diagnosed with gastroparesis in February of 2014. My symptoms started 7/4/13. At first, the only symptom was uncontrollable burping. The burping has continued to worsen causing me to go out on disability on 12/14/13. On 12/14/13 I was wearing a size 1X. I am now wearing a small. I have lost over 70 pounds now and continue to lose. Many other symptoms have now manifested and I am unable to eat enough to support my body. The doctors are very blasé about it but I think I will be dead before next Christmas. Fortunately for me, my gastroparesis has taken a different turn than most and I am not in any pain. I just burp, pass gas, have insomnia, get dizzy, feel weak, have at least one upset stomach each day and continue to lose weight.

Comment from: MaryBeth, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 24

I was diagnosed with gastroparesis about a year ago. My symptoms started with constant burping. I was overweight and have lost 60 lb. in the last year. I don't have nausea or vomiting so the gastroenterologists say there is nothing wrong with me. They basically won't do anything but give me horrible medications because my gastroparesis is not that severe. It can't be severe because I don't vomit. I have very little appetite and can only maintain my weight by loading up on sugars. I absolutely refuse to go the feeding tube route. I will starve to death first. Of course, the added sugars will give me diabetes so I try to stay away from them but that just means I keep losing weight. I've been told that my weight will magically stabilize when I am no longer overweight. I have just a couple of pounds to go. Then I'm going to magically get well! Hooray!

Comment from: minnie, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 09

I have been misdiagnosed for stomach problems when in reality it was gastroparesis. I suffered extreme pain like no other, it felt like my insides were ready to burst with pain and then it went back to my mid-spine. Nothing I did would help; I wound up twice in two day in the emergency room (ER). I am new at this and cannot imagine going through this over again. I am taking Reglan and a capsule to help the acid in the stomach. Doctors tell me there is no cure and eventually it will paralyze by stomach.

Comment from: thisbudcando, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 25

I have gastroparesis believed to be gotten from a car accident in 2009. I went until February 2014, they had been telling me for years there is nothing to do but pills. But thanks to a doctor I now have an experimental pace maker called the Enterra pacemaker. It is on the abdomen. At first the thing seemed to cause loads of pain and never seemed to keep me from vomiting on a daily basis. Now after many setting changes on the machine, we seem to have found a setting and it's been 30 plus days without vomiting. There is hope out there! I lost over 200 pounds and my heart and liver were in failure due to lack of nutrients. I am eating and holding food down and my weight is stable for the first time in a year!

Gastroparesis - Diagnosis Question: How was your gastroparesis diagnosed?
Gastroparesis - Possible Causes Question: What do you believe was the cause of your gastroparesis?
Gastroparesis - Symptoms Question: What symptoms do you experience with your gastroparesis?
Gastroparesis - Treatment Question: What kinds of treatment, including diet and medication, have you tried for gastroparesis?