Patient Comments: Gastroparesis - Treatment

What kinds of treatment, including diet and medication, have you tried for gastroparesis?

Comment from: Ebyn, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: April 01

I went to a naturopath who started off by using stool samples to measure gut enzymes. We first worked to get them in balance. Instead of OTC meds for heartburn which actually decrease digestive enzymes I took DGL. Over the years an elimination diet showed increased food sensitivities and a gluten free (I do not have celiac) and vegan (due to egg allergy and lactose sensitivities) diet improved symptoms tremendously. A recent abdominal surgery to address endometriosis triggered the gastroparesis. I am told the anesthesia, pain medications, and stress on gastrointestinal tract due to procedure and post-surgical diet led to the flare up. I have used aloe vera juice to decrease pain from inflammation, and enteric coated peppermint oil to decrease spasms and pain. I take digestive enzymes with each solid food meal and use kefir and kombucha to maintain enzyme balance. Amazing Grass nutritional supplement and coconut water for electrolyte balance. My symptoms have improved since surgery but I am still well below baseline. Pressure point on wrist for nausea. I use yoga, rhythmic breathing, massage and therapy to keep my stress down. Next... acupuncture. I take up so much time each day to try to create a calm environment and to stay as healthy as possible. It gets frustrating but I am thankful I am still able to eat a little even if I am not symptom free like before.

Comment from: sad mother, 25-34 Female (Caregiver) Published: February 12

My daughter had GERD and gastroparesis. She had to have a surgical procedure called a Nissen fundoplication. She had her first one in 2005. She had to have a second one in December 2012. All the possible problems listed above, happened to her. She had yeast infection in her PICC (peripherally inserted central catheter) line, she became septic 3 or 4 times, she could no longer swallow so they placed a feeding tube through her nose. Now, that wasn"t enough so they started her on TPN (total parenteral nutrition). My daughter had her surgery December 02, 2012. She was home from December 18 to January 01, 2013 then sent back to hospital about 400 miles from our town. On March 05, 2013, they found my daughter without any vital signs. She had died due to an adverse reaction to the TPN. This had caused her lungs to crystallize. She was a 34 year old mother of 4 children, wife and daughter. I hope people take this disease seriously.

Comment from: 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: January 13

I was diagnosed with gastroparesis three years ago. I've been a diabetic for 17 years, so now I'm on a very strict diet; like no sugar, low fiber, low residue, low carb, low fat, and cutting other foods. I'm nauseous all day long and I'm in pain. I take anti-nausea pills and pain killers with a few other medications to help my stomach. It is very hard to control or predict.

Comment from: SUSAN, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 08

I was diagnosed with gastroparesis several years ago. I have a lot of nausea, bloating, and feeling full after only eating a little. I eat small meals and I don't eat after about 3 or 4 in the afternoon. I am on domperidone, neurontin, and Zofran. I also have esophageal spasms from what they call diffuse esophageal spasm (DES). I have a lot of pressure in my esophagus all the time that triggers them. I try not to eat any meat but some hamburger every now and then. I eat soft stuff and sometimes drink nutritional drinks. I am also on Nexium that helps some. Some weeks one side of my throat is sore from the reflux. Sometimes I sleep in my recliner even though the head of my bed is lifted, I just can't lie down. I have severe constipation and take Linzess for it.

Comment from: Whytee, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: July 02

I was on Motilium when I was first diagnosed with gastroparesis. It caused serious pain and inflammation. I woke up one day two sizes larger than I was the night before. I was then put on 30 mg of Tofranil. It took about six months, but I can now eat more than before. I was taking Tazac to reduce the nausea but have now switched to Nexium. The nausea is still there and I am still very sensitive to stomach infections and foods (for example, I cannot eat fatty foods or food that is near the baby's due date).

Gastroparesis - Describe Your Experience Question: Please describe your experience with gastroparesis.
Gastroparesis - Diagnosis Question: How was your gastroparesis diagnosed?
Gastroparesis - Possible Causes Question: What do you believe was the cause of your gastroparesis?
Gastroparesis - Symptoms Question: What symptoms do you experience with your gastroparesis?