Patient Comments: Gastroparesis - Symptoms

What symptoms do you experience with your gastroparesis?

Comment from: Dan, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: December 22

My worst symptom of gastroparesis is nausea, crushing, debilitating nausea. It wakes me up every single morning without fail. I do get abdominal pain, but the nausea is maddening, I wish I could vomit at times in hopes that it will relieve the nausea.

Comment from: shelli458, (Patient) Published: August 13

My symptoms of gastroparesis were a 28 lb. weight gain, gas, constipation, and fatigue! I am just diagnosed and hopeful.

Comment from: Gurl8000, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 10

I was diagnosed with gastroparesis about 3 years ago. I have episodes of excessive burping. It is so annoying and embarrassing. I can't eat or drink anything without burping excessively and nothing helps. I am taking Protonix, Reglan, and erythromycin. I only eat every 8 to 10 hours and can only drink fluids at night. They removed my gallbladder but still I have no relief from the burping.

Comment from: jamiescoffee, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 20

I have had excessive belching now for two years and it has only gotten worse. I have had endoscopies and just had a tube inserted down nose into esophagus to measure the waves. The doctor said it was normal. I stopped taking all medicines and it seemed to help, but then the gastroparesis returned. I called the doctor again and they said to try taking peppermint pills, so I tried that and again it helped for about two to three days then it returned. The belching goes on for hours (15 or more hours a day) and by that time my stomach is so upset, I can"t even eat anything. I am at my wits end.

Comment from: psusanb, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 03

I have been told that I have gastroparesis. I have had this problem for three years, and they have just found out what is wrong. I do not throw up or have thin bowel movements. I stay constipated and bloated all the time, and have gained weight. My left side looks like I'm four months pregnant and I hurt all the time. I don't really know what to do!

Comment from: Mamie, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 03

Gastroparesis is a critical disorder. Every part of your heath is affected by this disorder. I have lived with it for years having lost part of my stomach and part of both upper and lower intestines. Proper nutrition is critical to protect the remaining parts of your gastrointestinal (GI) tract. Because of this disorder, absorption is poor so while you miss much of the nutrition from the foods you eat you also do not get the benefits from many medicines you take. As an example, if you are on pain medicine, be aware that to control pain, higher doses will be needed. I wanted to share this because I was very depressed when not understanding why I needed more medicines for whatever came along from infections, colds or injury. It is easier to carefully monitor your healthy diets than live with this disorder so my advice is to protect your GI tract while you can. I am a diabetic so it was the cause or my problem but had I paid attention to a healthier diet, perhaps my stomach would not have died off causing such a major surgery. Talk to your doctor and learn how you can increase the nutrients for your body. Some supplements are a great source but should be carefully chosen. With this disorder you must eat several small meals day so choose them wisely. Follow the advice of your gastroenterologist and live a happy healthy life.

Comment from: simple man, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: August 29

I am 38 years old. I have bad smell and gas problem in my stomach. I have meet many doctors but any medicine did not help me.

Gastroparesis - Describe Your Experience Question: Please describe your experience with gastroparesis.
Gastroparesis - Diagnosis Question: How was your gastroparesis diagnosed?
Gastroparesis - Possible Causes Question: What do you believe was the cause of your gastroparesis?
Gastroparesis - Treatment Question: What kinds of treatment, including diet and medication, have you tried for gastroparesis?