Patient Comments: Gastroparesis - Symptoms

What symptoms do you experience with your gastroparesis?

Comment from: rapingpeterpan, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 12

I had a viral infection and was sick for a week. After the sickness went away I had a stomach ache which led to vomiting; lots of vomiting. I threw up or gagged every 30 seconds for four months. Every 30 seconds! I could not eat, sleep, watch TV, leave my house, or anything. I lived with my head in a bucket 24 hours a day, seven days a week for four long months. I hoped for death often. I was in and out of hospital, hooked up to IVs. My red blood cell count was through the roof and I really thought I was dying. Then I finally got the correct diagnosis of gastroparesis (they insisted it was acid reflux despite my protests to the contrary). I was on metoclopramide but it made me so groggy the symptom was worse than the disease. Then came domperidone and the horrendous headaches. The vomiting has calmed down but the bloating is such I can't fit into any clothes and have no money to buy a new wardrobe. I cannot work or play and have zero quality of life. Research says I might have this forever. If that happens, suicide is a viable option for me as this is existing, not living.

Comment from: MedicalIssues2, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 29

I belched what seemed like all of the time for the first month, now that's lessened to after I eat or drink. I can feel bloated and have no appetite if I've eaten too much earlier in the day. I haven't vomited since my diagnosis of gastroparesis, and rarely feel nauseous.

Comment from: Dan, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: December 22

My worst symptom of gastroparesis is nausea, crushing, debilitating nausea. It wakes me up every single morning without fail. I do get abdominal pain, but the nausea is maddening, I wish I could vomit at times in hopes that it will relieve the nausea.

Comment from: shelli458, (Patient) Published: August 13

My symptoms of gastroparesis were a 28 lb. weight gain, gas, constipation, and fatigue! I am just diagnosed and hopeful.

Comment from: Gurl8000, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 10

I was diagnosed with gastroparesis about 3 years ago. I have episodes of excessive burping. It is so annoying and embarrassing. I can't eat or drink anything without burping excessively and nothing helps. I am taking Protonix, Reglan, and erythromycin. I only eat every 8 to 10 hours and can only drink fluids at night. They removed my gallbladder but still I have no relief from the burping.

Comment from: Mamie, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 03

Gastroparesis is a critical disorder. Every part of your heath is affected by this disorder. I have lived with it for years having lost part of my stomach and part of both upper and lower intestines. Proper nutrition is critical to protect the remaining parts of your gastrointestinal (GI) tract. Because of this disorder, absorption is poor so while you miss much of the nutrition from the foods you eat you also do not get the benefits from many medicines you take. As an example, if you are on pain medicine, be aware that to control pain, higher doses will be needed. I wanted to share this because I was very depressed when not understanding why I needed more medicines for whatever came along from infections, colds or injury. It is easier to carefully monitor your healthy diets than live with this disorder so my advice is to protect your GI tract while you can. I am a diabetic so it was the cause or my problem but had I paid attention to a healthier diet, perhaps my stomach would not have died off causing such a major surgery. Talk to your doctor and learn how you can increase the nutrients for your body. Some supplements are a great source but should be carefully chosen. With this disorder you must eat several small meals day so choose them wisely. Follow the advice of your gastroenterologist and live a happy healthy life.

Gastroparesis - Describe Your Experience Question: Please describe your experience with gastroparesis.
Gastroparesis - Diagnosis Question: How was your gastroparesis diagnosed?
Gastroparesis - Possible Causes Question: What do you believe was the cause of your gastroparesis?
Gastroparesis - Treatment Question: What kinds of treatment, including diet and medication, have you tried for gastroparesis?