Patient Comments: Gastroparesis - Possible Causes

What do you believe was the cause of your gastroparesis?

Comment from: Lulu, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 22

I suddenly became violently ill, with horrible belching, diarrhea, and vomiting, until I passed out. One hour later, according to my husband, I was in the emergency room. I remember an emergency medical technician slapping my hand in the ambulance saying, “Stay with me, dear. Stay with me!” They pumped saline into me at the hospital, and tested fecal samples. I was told that I had a rare bacterial infection in my intestines. Three other people had been treated for it at that small-city hospital the same weekend, and one, we later learned, was the son of a woman my husband worked with. That is when the troubles started. I wonder if any of the other people got gastroparesis. I had intermittent spells of the vomiting and diarrhea, getting worse and more frequent, until finally, a gastroenterologist had a gastric emptying study done. After a couple of months, he had me taper off the Reglan, and I seemed fine except for a few bouts (which I attributed to food poisoning, of course) for about five years. I was in denial. Now it is back full force and I can't deny it anymore. I lost 20 pounds in 2 months, and I did not need to lose weight. We can't even think about going out to eat, because there is nothing on any menu that I can tolerate. I feel like I have had a slow death sentence given to me. I want to feel good! I want to have some energy! I want my family to understand what I go through, but they don't. They sympathize, but can't empathize. I guess I will be living on what amounts to baby-food-style puree for the rest of my life.

Comment from: My03Tundra, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: April 23

Stress and bad dietary habits caused my gastroparesis.

Comment from: gpmom, 19-24 Female (Caregiver) Published: April 21

My daughter's gastric problems started with burping several times/day. She was diagnosed with acid reflux and given Prilosec for a month. When that did not help, she was prescribed Dexilant for 4 months. During that time, she gradually developed bloating, distension, stomach pain and nausea, and her reflux remained. She was diagnosed with gastroparesis after passing out. We suspect that the PPIs (proton pump inhibitors) decreased stomach acid to the point that she developed SIBO (small intestinal bacterial overgrowth) as undigested food stayed in her small intestine, and ultimately gastroparesis. A course of rifaximin and neomycin helped with the bloating, but the gastroparesis remains.

Comment from: Barbara, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: January 12

My gastroparesis cause was due to Nissen surgery procedure where the stomach is wrapped around the bottom of the esophagus. My life would have been better with the acid reflux. It is now ruined and I have no good days; all smiles are gone from my life.

Comment from: Denise, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 12

I had a very traumatic experience when I was 12 and I had a hard time dealing with it. This experience caused me a lot of stress in coping with it and I think that's what led to my gastroparesis.

Comment from: J.T., 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: May 19

I had blood clots in the legs and later to the heart. I believe something from this condition, or medication that I was taking, or I'm on now, is the cause of my gastroparesis. I had no problem before the clots.

Comment from: Ebyn, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: April 01

My gastroparesis (GP) started a couple of months after having a laparoscopy and hysteroscopy to address endometriosis and other reproductive diseases. I also have a hiatal hernia and GERD. After emergency room visits and poor care at my primary care physician's I went to a naturopath at which time he ordered a bowel sample test and a food elimination diet. We focused on getting the stomach enzymes more balanced, used DGL for heartburn. After several months I was feeling better and found out that I had numerous food sensitivities, including eggs. I am gluten free and vegan and had my GP well controlled. A few weeks ago I had a second abdominal surgery and my GP flared up. I didn"t know I needed to tell the surgeon so they could use different medications and anesthesia. I was told the anesthesia, stress of surgery, trauma to colon and bowel due to removal of endometriosis, and pain medications were the root of the new worsening. I can only eat 3 cups of solid food a day and still have minor symptoms.

Gastroparesis - Describe Your Experience Question: Please describe your experience with gastroparesis.
Gastroparesis - Diagnosis Question: How was your gastroparesis diagnosed?
Gastroparesis - Symptoms Question: What symptoms do you experience with your gastroparesis?
Gastroparesis - Treatment Question: What kinds of treatment, including diet and medication, have you tried for gastroparesis?