Patient Comments: GERD - Diet

What diet and lifestyle changes have you made to improve your GERD and heartburn?

Comment from: Sandy S, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 23

I have suffered many years with acid reflux and discovered recently that along with not eating a huge meal in the evening, I will eat an apple before going to bed. I don't know why but it keeps me from having any reflux. It also helps to eat an apple if you are suffering from an episode of reflux.

Comment from: UCgal, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 04

I have had acid reflux for over 20 years now. I have had my gallbladder removed and it was not successful. I have been on Prilosec, Prevacid and Dexilant again. I take digestive enzymes and probiotics which help a lot. I was only on 15 mg of Prevacid OTC when I recently got another flare up of acid reflux; horrible. So now I'm back on Dexilant for 4 weeks and follow a diet. It does help if you watch what you eat, do things in moderation, meaning the things you love, and exercise. My flare up of GERD is due to my not following my diet.

Comment from: Ollie, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 31

Was just released from hospital after 3 days. Went to ER for severe/acute upper abdominal pain and vomiting. Had all kinds of tests and finally on 3rd day was told I had GERD, ekg great, x-rays clear, ultrasound for gall bladder negative. It is hard to believe that because of GERD I ended up in ER and was given morphine for the pain. Has anyone ever experienced this kind of pain associated with GERD.

Comment from: lewlew, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 09

I have had the symptoms of GERD for years for as long as I can remember. My physician had just always given me a heartburn pill and called it a day. My pain and symptoms have gotten unbearable and to the point where it's somewhat controlling how I interact throughout my daily routine. After researching this site and realizing that there is and can be a major issue going on with me I have to admit that I feel a lot better by just knowing about GERD. Now all I have to do is find a different physician and follow up!

Comment from: nareflux, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 19

I am happy to know that I am not alone. I cry every day because of GERD. I took the H. pylori test and my doctor told me I will deal with Halitosis permanently. I never knew GERD had such an effect on a person's health. My currently have pain in my right ear and lymph nodes on the right side of my neck. I request that my doctor do the fundoplication surgery but he refuse. I fell that no person should have to deal with this. I currently deal with the co-worker and my boss treating my so coldly. I'm just praying to get fired so I can focus on getting my help in order. I am tired of crying over something I cannot fix.

Comment from: sona, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: December 05

I have been suffering of GERD for more than 20 years. a year ago I saw a gastro enteric specialist and he advised me to raise the head of my bed about 4 inches and prescribed anti-acidity medication. I feel better, but I still have it occasionally. It started when I was in high school and stress makes it worse and one time I had a severe pain that made the doctor to give me strong medicine for pain.

Comment from: Kat, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: October 08

Chocolate is my GERD enemy and lately ice cream seems to be a problem, so much so that I awake with an urgent need to vomit. The last couple of times I noticed small red dots on my face the next morning. I have stopped eating both of these foods but am curious if the severity of the vomiting caused the red dots. It's tough having to give up my favorite foods... I have long since gave up spicy food for dinner.

GERD - Proton Pump Inhibitors Question: If your GERD symptoms were not relieved by treatment with proton pump inhibitors, did you find other effective treatments?
GERD - Causes Question: Do you know what caused your GERD? Please discuss your experience with GERD.
GERD - Complications Question: Did you experience any complications with your GERD? What were they?
GERD - Diagnosis Question: How did your doctors arrive at a diagnosis of GERD?
GERD - Treatment Question: What types of treatment or medication have you received for GERD? What's worked and what hasn't?