Patient Comments: GERD - Diet

What diet and lifestyle changes have you made to improve your GERD and heartburn?

Comment from: Alembicdonj, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 22

With gingivitis, I first had a sore on my tongue. Later, I experienced pains and weakness from my gums. Eventually, I found out that parts of my gums are loose and don't support my teeth, while others are swollen and reddened. Blood easily flows out with the least disturbance. I'm still struggling with it.

Comment from: Remus, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: February 10

Thirty years ago I had duodenal ulcer for over 7 years. Tagamet and every known antacid did not help. I healed when stopped taking them. I learned later that too little acid was the cause! Now GERD is posing similar problems including ear infections. Adding 1 capful apple cider vinegar to small early meals definitely relieves heartburn. I chew ginger to salivate. For cough, I take honey with crushed garlic or onion and occasionally spray throat with diluted clove oil [1 drop to half pint water]. I have raised bedhead at least 12 inches, sleep on my left side etc. I try and relax.

Comment from: TjRjn, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 03

I injured my rotator cuff whilst working in the dive industry. We had many novice divers all needing their weight belts, (typically 6 to 8 kg) put on and taken off. We also needed to collect them regularly where they were dropped in the water, sometimes 3 to 4 belts at a time, many times per day for weeks.

Comment from: Marlene, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 08

I have had daily heartburn for several years. I have tried everything, including proton pump inhibitors. I don't want to take a medication every day forever. Tums causes a rebound effect for me. It's been very worrisome and frustrating. Quite by accident, I've found two natural foods that have taken away heartburn! I bought some snack foods, hazelnuts and dried pineapple were two of the things I bought. After two days I astonishingly noticed I did not have heartburn! I started an elimination study to discover the cause. I learned it was hazelnuts and the dried pineapple, either one alone or both together. It is a miracle for me. I just wanted to share in case it might be helpful for someone else.

Comment from: Kate D, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: September 14

Six weeks ago I fractured my right foot fifth metatarsal. The foot already has a titanium screw in it due to a previous severe Jones fracture that healed well. Luckily, this break was not a Jones fracture and I was given a boot to wear. No surgery! I am going back to the doctor tomorrow for x-ray to see how I am healing. I expect to wear the boot for another week or two. Pain and burning sensation present in foot still pretty intense. I had excruciating nauseating pain when first fractured. Not sure when the pain will abate. I can't take ibuprofen as it exacerbates my asthma and also causes stomach upset. I am currently taking half of a 5 mg hydrocodone in the morning and usually the other half late afternoon and take no other pain medicine throughout the day, foot seems to hurt more at night. I am wondering if my pain level is normal. I am concerned my foot still hurts as much as it does. Thanks for sharing your experiences and good luck to all.

GERD - Proton Pump Inhibitors Question: If your GERD symptoms were not relieved by treatment with proton pump inhibitors, did you find other effective treatments?
GERD - Causes Question: Do you know what caused your GERD? Please discuss your experience with GERD.
GERD - Complications Question: Did you experience any complications with your GERD? What were they?
GERD - Diagnosis Question: How did your doctors arrive at a diagnosis of GERD?
GERD - Treatment Question: What types of treatment or medication have you received for GERD? What's worked and what hasn't?