Patient Comments: GERD - Diet

What diet and lifestyle changes have you made to improve your GERD and heartburn?

Comment from: Remus, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: February 10

Thirty years ago I had duodenal ulcer for over 7 years. Tagamet and every known antacid did not help. I healed when stopped taking them. I learned later that too little acid was the cause! Now GERD is posing similar problems including ear infections. Adding 1 capful apple cider vinegar to small early meals definitely relieves heartburn. I chew ginger to salivate. For cough, I take honey with crushed garlic or onion and occasionally spray throat with diluted clove oil [1 drop to half pint water]. I have raised bedhead at least 12 inches, sleep on my left side etc. I try and relax.

Comment from: TjRjn, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 03

I injured my rotator cuff whilst working in the dive industry. We had many novice divers all needing their weight belts, (typically 6 to 8 kg) put on and taken off. We also needed to collect them regularly where they were dropped in the water, sometimes 3 to 4 belts at a time, many times per day for weeks.

Comment from: Marlene, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 08

I have had daily heartburn for several years. I have tried everything, including proton pump inhibitors. I don't want to take a medication every day forever. Tums causes a rebound effect for me. It's been very worrisome and frustrating. Quite by accident, I've found two natural foods that have taken away heartburn! I bought some snack foods, hazelnuts and dried pineapple were two of the things I bought. After two days I astonishingly noticed I did not have heartburn! I started an elimination study to discover the cause. I learned it was hazelnuts and the dried pineapple, either one alone or both together. It is a miracle for me. I just wanted to share in case it might be helpful for someone else.

Comment from: concerned, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 03

My menopause is over since 10 years ago, I am still getting terrible night sweats. I have no other symptoms. I wonder how long these sweats can last.

Comment from: shivani k., 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 03

We only need to maintain cleanliness around ourselves. The dengue is never spread because mosquitos develop only in dirty places, so maintaining cleanliness we can prevent dengue.

Comment from: Simba, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: January 08

I found out today that I have antibodies for herpes 1 (oral). No cold sores. However, symptoms have been white tongue, and awful mouth odor. I continue to have vaginal odor itching, burning sensation, however, test results negative for vaginal herpes. I'm 65 years old.

Comment from: me, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: December 15

My first costochondritis attack was when I was 14, I got kicked in the chest by a horse. It was long (approximately 2 weeks) before I started to have chest pains. At the time my mom and dad thought I was just trying to get attention because I was the 4th child out of 5. Years went by, and my nephew (my sister's boy) started having attacks in high school (16). They did all kinds of tests, and after all these years my parents realized there was something going on. I was very athletic in high school as my nephew was. I learned how to live with it every day; some attacks are worse than others. The only fear I have is I will have a heart attack and pass it off as one of these and heart disease runs in both sides of my family. I hope I never have to find out. I had a little attack today and my co-workers pretty much freaked. The worse is when I wait for days off before going to the doctor and all he can do is give my hydrocodone and I hate that medicine, makes me feel drunk all the time. Thank goodness it has been a couple of years now that I had to take something for it. My leg does not work well and my left arm might as well be amputated on some of these attacks.

GERD - Proton Pump Inhibitors Question: If your GERD symptoms were not relieved by treatment with proton pump inhibitors, did you find other effective treatments?
GERD - Causes Question: Do you know what caused your GERD? Please discuss your experience with GERD.
GERD - Complications Question: Did you experience any complications with your GERD? What were they?
GERD - Diagnosis Question: How did your doctors arrive at a diagnosis of GERD?
GERD - Treatment Question: What types of treatment or medication have you received for GERD? What's worked and what hasn't?