Patient Comments: GERD - Diet

What diet and lifestyle changes have you made to improve your GERD and heartburn?

Comment from: james, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: June 02

Home brewed Kambucha tea!!! I started drinking 3-4 oz. twice a day. Haven't had a symptom return since. 7 months now. It's all natural and cheaper than any other reflux medication if you brew it yourself.

Comment from: 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: May 12

I'm sorry for all of you who share this condition with me. For those of you who say you've been trying to get rid of your GERD, unless you get the surgery, you'll have it for your whole life. I've had acid reflex since I was seven and have recently been diagnosed with GERD and I'm only sixteen years old. I've even had a stomach ulcer thanks to stress and my acid reflux acting up because of it. I grew very sick back in December last year and couldn't keep food down and refused to eat, because if I did, it felt like my stomach was on fire. It grew to the point that I lost seven pounds three weeks of this going on before one night I just burst into tears because I was thirsty and had taken a sip of water only for my stomach to feel like someone had dropped a match in it. The doctor didn't do anything immediately, they merely did an ultrasound and gave me some sort of numbing concoction. It continued, minus the burning, for months afterward. In March, I met a gastrologist who told me I could have two possible things. H. Pylori, which one of my relatives has and causes gastritis, or GERD. I got an endoscopy the following week and found out that my acid reflex had worsened into GERD. I'm on one of the pills they give to help keep my food down, but a lot of the time, I still feel weak and fatigued. Just walking my yorkie around the street leaves me breathless some days. I'm not telling you this for sympathy, merely for anyone who reads this to know that you aren't alone.

Comment from: Jess2783, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: April 28

I am 27 year old female I have been trying to get rid of GERD forever I lost about three pounds since I got sick last week! I tried eating and sleeping nothing worked out for me I went to the doctors and she said I have a major problem and is life threatening! I called the GI Specialist and scheduled and appointment. They are going to give me a GI surgery to correct the problem I had this for about three years now or as long as I can remember! I have a six year old daughter and it's hard to have fun with her when I feel sick all of the time! There's pretty not much you could do and at the moment. I take that OTC stuff I take two gel caps everyday but, got sick last week I threw up bile and it ruined my throat so bad I could not talk. This was for three days! I hope the surgery works and do not waste any more money on prescription med's!

Comment from: Aida, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 23

I have taken Nexium 40 mg for 1 1/2 month, a total of 42 tablets but unfortunately my GERD was not healed.

Comment from: mdh56, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: February 07

Gluten was the cause of my acid reflux. After suffering for years and taking prescription anti acids, I read that gluten can be a cause. Within 2 weeks after cutting gluten out of my diet, all of my symptoms went away.

Published: February 07

The GERD has produced another problem (uncontrolled) hiccups lasting weeks sometimes over a month none stop. Saw a Neurologist and he gave me anti-seizure medication which did not help, only made me feel sleepy all the time. I take nexium for my reflux.

Comment from: Anne, 45-54 Female Published: February 03

I am taking Nexium 30mg 1 per day but I still have pain in my chest especially on the left upper side which makes me wonder if I'm having heart problems. The doctor has said that there is nothing wrong with my heart other than I am way overweight by about 130lbs or so.

Comment from: birdcrazy624, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 06

I eat smaller meals that are low in fat. I sit upright 2 hours after I eat. I limit my caffeine, and soda intake. I take a proton pump inhibitor daily, and antacids as needed.

GERD - Proton Pump Inhibitors Question: If your GERD symptoms were not relieved by treatment with proton pump inhibitors, did you find other effective treatments?
GERD - Causes Question: Do you know what caused your GERD? Please discuss your experience with GERD.
GERD - Complications Question: Did you experience any complications with your GERD? What were they?
GERD - Diagnosis Question: How did your doctors arrive at a diagnosis of GERD?
GERD - Treatment Question: What types of treatment or medication have you received for GERD? What's worked and what hasn't?