Patient Comments: GERD - Diet

What diet and lifestyle changes have you made to improve your GERD and heartburn?

Comment from: Jess2783, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: April 28

I am 27 year old female I have been trying to get rid of GERD forever I lost about three pounds since I got sick last week! I tried eating and sleeping nothing worked out for me I went to the doctors and she said I have a major problem and is life threatening! I called the GI Specialist and scheduled and appointment. They are going to give me a GI surgery to correct the problem I had this for about three years now or as long as I can remember! I have a six year old daughter and it's hard to have fun with her when I feel sick all of the time! There's pretty not much you could do and at the moment. I take that OTC stuff I take two gel caps everyday but, got sick last week I threw up bile and it ruined my throat so bad I could not talk. This was for three days! I hope the surgery works and do not waste any more money on prescription med's!

Comment from: Aida, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 23

I have taken Nexium 40 mg for 1 1/2 month, a total of 42 tablets but unfortunately my GERD was not healed.

Comment from: mdh56, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: February 07

Gluten was the cause of my acid reflux. After suffering for years and taking prescription anti acids, I read that gluten can be a cause. Within 2 weeks after cutting gluten out of my diet, all of my symptoms went away.

Published: February 07

The GERD has produced another problem (uncontrolled) hiccups lasting weeks sometimes over a month none stop. Saw a Neurologist and he gave me anti-seizure medication which did not help, only made me feel sleepy all the time. I take nexium for my reflux.

Comment from: Anne, 45-54 Female Published: February 03

I am taking Nexium 30mg 1 per day but I still have pain in my chest especially on the left upper side which makes me wonder if I'm having heart problems. The doctor has said that there is nothing wrong with my heart other than I am way overweight by about 130lbs or so.

Comment from: birdcrazy624, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 06

I eat smaller meals that are low in fat. I sit upright 2 hours after I eat. I limit my caffeine, and soda intake. I take a proton pump inhibitor daily, and antacids as needed.

GERD - Proton Pump Inhibitors Question: If your GERD symptoms were not relieved by treatment with proton pump inhibitors, did you find other effective treatments?
GERD - Causes Question: Do you know what caused your GERD? Please discuss your experience with GERD.
GERD - Complications Question: Did you experience any complications with your GERD? What were they?
GERD - Diagnosis Question: How did your doctors arrive at a diagnosis of GERD?
GERD - Treatment Question: What types of treatment or medication have you received for GERD? What's worked and what hasn't?