Patient Comments: GERD - Diet

What diet and lifestyle changes have you made to improve your GERD and heartburn?

Comment from: lllaro , 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: September 08

With my GERD, I get a burning feeling in my throat, especially if I eat something spicy.

Comment from: Davis47702, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 15

Leaving alcohol, ketchup, onions, peppers, spicy foods, and caffiene (in all forms). This lessened the amount of times a week I suffer from GERD.

Comment from: jlj, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 06

I have suffered from GERD for years and didn't know that was what I had. I assumed the coughing came from allergies to some unknown substance. Its genesis was in gluten intolerance and I quit eating things with wheat in them about five years ago. The GERD was too far advanced and did not go away. I currently take 4-5 Prilosec a day and am working on losing weight since the surgery is more successful when one weighs less. I have chronic sinusitis and have had bronchitis from all the coughing.

Comment from: saffire, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 25

I have eliminated diet sodas, which I was drinking 64 ounces of every day. I have quit smoking for more than four months. I have started exercising more, and I'm trying to drop 20 pounds. I went to see the doctor and got a prescription for GERD.

Comment from: Paige, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: January 27

I've reduced my caloric intake, reduced the fats and acids I intake, and I try to avoid LES-relaxing food. I've elevated the head of my bed, I don't eat anything 4-5 hours before bed, and I drink aloe Vera juice when it gets really bad. Even though I'm under healthy weight, have never smoked, and detest alcohol - GERD still is a huge part of my life. It's been a couple of years since I last woke up without feeling like there's a brick in my chest and a lump in my throat.

Comment from: peter, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: January 10

I have suffered from acid reflux for the last two years, I have been on antacids and ppi's (nexium) with no results. What worries me so much is the bad odor from the mouth and nose when simply breathing, it's so embarrassing.Please help with ideas of getting rid of this problem.

Comment from: emereness, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: December 27

I had my gall bladder out a year ago Sept. At first I was fine then started having heart burn and gas. My doctor put me on protonix , once daily, poeosid in the evening and a questran daily to help regulate me. This seemed to work and after a few months I was off this. Then just 5 months ago the symptoms returned. I again was put on the same medication, and once again it worked. Once again I was off it and continued the questran and pepsid (as needed). The symptoms have returned and I am on the medicine but now I have itching (terrible), gas, heartburn and bloating. What could be causing this? I went to the doctors last week and they took blood test and I go back on the 4th of January but I am worried.

Comment from: Judy, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 30

After nearly 35 years of GERD, a homeopathic dr told me I not only had wheat gluten intolerance, but also soy gluten intolerance, leaving soy alone, (like all the non dairy coffee creamers, etc) had dramatically improved my health. Only have GERD now when I eat store bought bread, cookies, and too many tomatoes.

Comment from: Melony Montoya, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 07

I have had Gerd disease for over 30 years, have taken every kind of medication and none have worked for me, at the age of 63 have gotten worse. Last year I had an Endoscopy test done and another test done yesterday. I have Barrett's and R/O residual erosive esophagitis, there were four polyps removed and send to the lab. There is cancer in the family and I told my doctor I need to have surgery so I can feel better, over 30 years suffering from Gerd is ridiculous, I'm tired of living my life this way.

GERD - Proton Pump Inhibitors Question: If your GERD symptoms were not relieved by treatment with proton pump inhibitors, did you find other effective treatments?
GERD - Causes Question: Do you know what caused your GERD? Please discuss your experience with GERD.
GERD - Complications Question: Did you experience any complications with your GERD? What were they?
GERD - Diagnosis Question: How did your doctors arrive at a diagnosis of GERD?
GERD - Treatment Question: What types of treatment or medication have you received for GERD? What's worked and what hasn't?