Patient Comments: GERD - Diet

What diet and lifestyle changes have you made to improve your GERD and heartburn?

Comment from: saffire, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 25

I have eliminated diet sodas, which I was drinking 64 ounces of every day. I have quit smoking for more than four months. I have started exercising more, and I'm trying to drop 20 pounds. I went to see the doctor and got a prescription for GERD.

Comment from: Paige, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: January 27

I've reduced my caloric intake, reduced the fats and acids I intake, and I try to avoid LES-relaxing food. I've elevated the head of my bed, I don't eat anything 4-5 hours before bed, and I drink aloe Vera juice when it gets really bad. Even though I'm under healthy weight, have never smoked, and detest alcohol - GERD still is a huge part of my life. It's been a couple of years since I last woke up without feeling like there's a brick in my chest and a lump in my throat.

Comment from: peter, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: January 10

I have suffered from acid reflux for the last two years, I have been on antacids and ppi's (nexium) with no results. What worries me so much is the bad odor from the mouth and nose when simply breathing, it's so embarrassing.Please help with ideas of getting rid of this problem.

Comment from: emereness, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: December 27

I had my gall bladder out a year ago Sept. At first I was fine then started having heart burn and gas. My doctor put me on protonix , once daily, poeosid in the evening and a questran daily to help regulate me. This seemed to work and after a few months I was off this. Then just 5 months ago the symptoms returned. I again was put on the same medication, and once again it worked. Once again I was off it and continued the questran and pepsid (as needed). The symptoms have returned and I am on the medicine but now I have itching (terrible), gas, heartburn and bloating. What could be causing this? I went to the doctors last week and they took blood test and I go back on the 4th of January but I am worried.

Comment from: Judy, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 30

After nearly 35 years of GERD, a homeopathic dr told me I not only had wheat gluten intolerance, but also soy gluten intolerance, leaving soy alone, (like all the non dairy coffee creamers, etc) had dramatically improved my health. Only have GERD now when I eat store bought bread, cookies, and too many tomatoes.

Comment from: Melony Montoya, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 07

I have had Gerd disease for over 30 years, have taken every kind of medication and none have worked for me, at the age of 63 have gotten worse. Last year I had an Endoscopy test done and another test done yesterday. I have Barrett's and R/O residual erosive esophagitis, there were four polyps removed and send to the lab. There is cancer in the family and I told my doctor I need to have surgery so I can feel better, over 30 years suffering from Gerd is ridiculous, I'm tired of living my life this way.

Comment from: james, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: June 02

Home brewed Kambucha tea!!! I started drinking 3-4 oz. twice a day. Haven't had a symptom return since. 7 months now. It's all natural and cheaper than any other reflux medication if you brew it yourself.

Comment from: 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: May 12

I'm sorry for all of you who share this condition with me. For those of you who say you've been trying to get rid of your GERD, unless you get the surgery, you'll have it for your whole life. I've had acid reflex since I was seven and have recently been diagnosed with GERD and I'm only sixteen years old. I've even had a stomach ulcer thanks to stress and my acid reflux acting up because of it. I grew very sick back in December last year and couldn't keep food down and refused to eat, because if I did, it felt like my stomach was on fire. It grew to the point that I lost seven pounds three weeks of this going on before one night I just burst into tears because I was thirsty and had taken a sip of water only for my stomach to feel like someone had dropped a match in it. The doctor didn't do anything immediately, they merely did an ultrasound and gave me some sort of numbing concoction. It continued, minus the burning, for months afterward. In March, I met a gastrologist who told me I could have two possible things. H. Pylori, which one of my relatives has and causes gastritis, or GERD. I got an endoscopy the following week and found out that my acid reflex had worsened into GERD. I'm on one of the pills they give to help keep my food down, but a lot of the time, I still feel weak and fatigued. Just walking my yorkie around the street leaves me breathless some days. I'm not telling you this for sympathy, merely for anyone who reads this to know that you aren't alone.

GERD - Proton Pump Inhibitors Question: If your GERD symptoms were not relieved by treatment with proton pump inhibitors, did you find other effective treatments?
GERD - Causes Question: Do you know what caused your GERD? Please discuss your experience with GERD.
GERD - Complications Question: Did you experience any complications with your GERD? What were they?
GERD - Diagnosis Question: How did your doctors arrive at a diagnosis of GERD?
GERD - Treatment Question: What types of treatment or medication have you received for GERD? What's worked and what hasn't?