Patient Comments: GERD - Diet

What diet and lifestyle changes have you made to improve your GERD and heartburn?

Comment from: Simba, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: January 08

I found out today that I have antibodies for herpes 1 (oral). No cold sores. However, symptoms have been white tongue, and awful mouth odor. I continue to have vaginal odor itching, burning sensation, however, test results negative for vaginal herpes. I'm 65 years old.

Comment from: sona, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: December 05

I have been suffering of GERD for more than 20 years. a year ago I saw a gastro enteric specialist and he advised me to raise the head of my bed about 4 inches and prescribed anti-acidity medication. I feel better, but I still have it occasionally. It started when I was in high school and stress makes it worse and one time I had a severe pain that made the doctor to give me strong medicine for pain.

Comment from: Kat, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: October 08

Chocolate is my GERD enemy and lately ice cream seems to be a problem, so much so that I awake with an urgent need to vomit. The last couple of times I noticed small red dots on my face the next morning. I have stopped eating both of these foods but am curious if the severity of the vomiting caused the red dots. It's tough having to give up my favorite foods... I have long since gave up spicy food for dinner.

Comment from: elvin, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: May 06

About two years ago I first experience this kind of stomachache with heartburn. There's nothing I can do but wait for a few hours because no medicine can keep it away. It seldom happens – like every two or three months. But lately, it attacks me like every month. My parents advised me to see a doctor because whenever I have this stomachache I look like I'm dying. It really hurts. I visited a doctor and was prescribed the medicine for acid reflux. She said to take it 30 minutes before meal for two weeks. I thought it will never go back. It's my fault because I did not change my eating habits. Now when I feel like it will attack me again, I will eat something and it's fine. I don't drink soft drinks and juice any more – only water. I eat an apple every day.

Comment from: Happy, Published: January 10

I too was just diagnoiced with GERD. I went to the ER because I thought I was having a heart attack. The EKG test came back negative, the chest x-ray also came out negative. I even had a stress test and it also came back negative. I am relieved. Now I need to focus on what not to eat or drink. I am also taking medication to prevent another occurrence.

Comment from: Michelle, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: September 25

I just got back from the hospital, I took an ambulance ride. I thought I was having a heart attack. My chest feels like someone hit it with a sledgehammer and it went straight through to my back. The diagnosis was GERD. I have smoked for 32 years but I had no idea that it would worsen the symptoms. I am going to have to change everything about my diet and lifestyle. No more coffee (ouch), sodas, or any caffeine at all. I have to be careful not to eat huge meals and never lie down after a meal (guilty pleasure). And I have to quit smoking. But, this pain is horrible so I guess I will do it!

Comment from: healthynow, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: July 27

My heartburn became chronic about ten years ago and I was diagnosed with a hiatus hernia and initially required prescription drugs to bring it under control. These are the things I find help me avoid heartburn. Do not eat anything for at least three hours before sleeping and preferably four or five hours. Do not eat very fatty, very rich or hot spicy food. Drink water with and after your meal. Eat meals that satisfy without feeling stuffed. Chew sugarfree gum. Try and lose some weight. Find ways to avoid or reduce your level of stress. Try and pay attention to your posture sitting and standing.

GERD - Proton Pump Inhibitors Question: If your GERD symptoms were not relieved by treatment with proton pump inhibitors, did you find other effective treatments?
GERD - Causes Question: Do you know what caused your GERD? Please discuss your experience with GERD.
GERD - Complications Question: Did you experience any complications with your GERD? What were they?
GERD - Diagnosis Question: How did your doctors arrive at a diagnosis of GERD?
GERD - Treatment Question: What types of treatment or medication have you received for GERD? What's worked and what hasn't?