Patient Comments: GERD - Diet

What diet and lifestyle changes have you made to improve your GERD and heartburn?

Comment from: jane, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 15

Diagnosed with GERD and Barrett's Esophagus and ulcers via Endoscopy 1 month ago. Am taking prilosec. Stunned, although I suspected ulcers, I have stopped drinking coffee, wine and all of the other things on the list. Frankly, I hardly know what to eat anymore. I don't have heartburn, but do have throat pain and hoarseness a lot, in spite of 5 weeks on Prilosec. I am not overweight, exercise everyday, don't smoke and have always eaten a low fat diet. I am sleeping with a slanted pillow. I have gone to a Esophageal Center for another opinion. They want to repeat endoscopy, do ph monitoring, bsrium swallow etc. Am reading everything I can find, but given a pretty healthy lifestyle, I wonder how much more I can do.

Comment from: andre, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: February 17

Hi am a 26 year old male having a chronic problem with breathing since I was 16. It first started out as I woke up and went to basketball practice, when I started running I noticed I was getting short of breath like I was a heavy smoker or something. Then came fatigue I was tired every day and that's how it is every day for the last 10 years always tired and always shortness of breath. The worst time of the day is always morning if I feel little better at night in morning it all disappears and it is bad like before. Also I wake up earlier many times because I need to pee often. It's like I have some kind of pressure in my diaphragm area which doesn't let me breathe in fully. I made lots of examinations when I made my first x-ray I was diagnosed with a hernia and then when I did my next x-ray there was no hernia which confused me even more. I did also swallowing of that tube and it showed lots of acidity the doctor even asked me if I was eating something that morning because it was acidic or something while I haven't eaten for 12 hours. I have taken controloc for a month and it didn't help me, I also took lansoprasole for a month and it didn't help me either. I was also tested for pylori which was negative. The most frustrating part about this is that I am tired every day and short of breath and it sometimes is a little better in morning then it is all back to square one. Tired and feeling of pressure abdomen and short of breath and it's like that throughout the whole day so it's not an attack of some kind.

Comment from: sona, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: December 05

I have been suffering of GERD for more than 20 years. a year ago I saw a gastro enteric specialist and he advised me to raise the head of my bed about 4 inches and prescribed anti-acidity medication. I feel better, but I still have it occasionally. It started when I was in high school and stress makes it worse and one time I had a severe pain that made the doctor to give me strong medicine for pain.

Comment from: Kat, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: October 08

Chocolate is my GERD enemy and lately ice cream seems to be a problem, so much so that I awake with an urgent need to vomit. The last couple of times I noticed small red dots on my face the next morning. I have stopped eating both of these foods but am curious if the severity of the vomiting caused the red dots. It's tough having to give up my favorite foods... I have long since gave up spicy food for dinner.

Comment from: elvin, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: May 06

About two years ago I first experience this kind of stomachache with heartburn. There's nothing I can do but wait for a few hours because no medicine can keep it away. It seldom happens – like every two or three months. But lately, it attacks me like every month. My parents advised me to see a doctor because whenever I have this stomachache I look like I'm dying. It really hurts. I visited a doctor and was prescribed the medicine for acid reflux. She said to take it 30 minutes before meal for two weeks. I thought it will never go back. It's my fault because I did not change my eating habits. Now when I feel like it will attack me again, I will eat something and it's fine. I don't drink soft drinks and juice any more – only water. I eat an apple every day.

Comment from: Happy, Published: January 10

I too was just diagnoiced with GERD. I went to the ER because I thought I was having a heart attack. The EKG test came back negative, the chest x-ray also came out negative. I even had a stress test and it also came back negative. I am relieved. Now I need to focus on what not to eat or drink. I am also taking medication to prevent another occurrence.

GERD - Proton Pump Inhibitors Question: If your GERD symptoms were not relieved by treatment with proton pump inhibitors, did you find other effective treatments?
GERD - Causes Question: Do you know what caused your GERD? Please discuss your experience with GERD.
GERD - Complications Question: Did you experience any complications with your GERD? What were they?
GERD - Diagnosis Question: How did your doctors arrive at a diagnosis of GERD?
GERD - Treatment Question: What types of treatment or medication have you received for GERD? What's worked and what hasn't?