Patient Comments: GERD - Diet

What diet and lifestyle changes have you made to improve your GERD and heartburn?

Comment from: elvin, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: May 06

About two years ago I first experience this kind of stomachache with heartburn. There's nothing I can do but wait for a few hours because no medicine can keep it away. It seldom happens – like every two or three months. But lately, it attacks me like every month. My parents advised me to see a doctor because whenever I have this stomachache I look like I'm dying. It really hurts. I visited a doctor and was prescribed the medicine for acid reflux. She said to take it 30 minutes before meal for two weeks. I thought it will never go back. It's my fault because I did not change my eating habits. Now when I feel like it will attack me again, I will eat something and it's fine. I don't drink soft drinks and juice any more – only water. I eat an apple every day.

Comment from: Happy, Published: January 10

I too was just diagnoiced with GERD. I went to the ER because I thought I was having a heart attack. The EKG test came back negative, the chest x-ray also came out negative. I even had a stress test and it also came back negative. I am relieved. Now I need to focus on what not to eat or drink. I am also taking medication to prevent another occurrence.

Comment from: Michelle, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: September 25

I just got back from the hospital, I took an ambulance ride. I thought I was having a heart attack. My chest feels like someone hit it with a sledgehammer and it went straight through to my back. The diagnosis was GERD. I have smoked for 32 years but I had no idea that it would worsen the symptoms. I am going to have to change everything about my diet and lifestyle. No more coffee (ouch), sodas, or any caffeine at all. I have to be careful not to eat huge meals and never lie down after a meal (guilty pleasure). And I have to quit smoking. But, this pain is horrible so I guess I will do it!

Comment from: healthynow, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: July 27

My heartburn became chronic about ten years ago and I was diagnosed with a hiatus hernia and initially required prescription drugs to bring it under control. These are the things I find help me avoid heartburn. Do not eat anything for at least three hours before sleeping and preferably four or five hours. Do not eat very fatty, very rich or hot spicy food. Drink water with and after your meal. Eat meals that satisfy without feeling stuffed. Chew sugarfree gum. Try and lose some weight. Find ways to avoid or reduce your level of stress. Try and pay attention to your posture sitting and standing.

Comment from: Lima62, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 13

I've suffered with reflux for several years. With the last 12 months chronic GERD,I have to sleep upright, stomach continually gurgling & squelching, with that awful cold fire burning feeling,& burping like crazy. Currently on 2 40mg Nexium daily which works minimally. I have been gluten free the last 4-5 weeks and dairy/caffeine/soy free for 4 days now. I slept on my side last night for the first time in 12 months. I am cautiously optimistic. One thing I didn't realize is that soy has gluten,so now I've stopped that as well. Apparently you can develop a food intolerance(usually dairy or gluten) due to a 'dietary upset'. How many of those have you had? It's worth a try.

Comment from: TipsandTricks, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: April 13

Hello everyone, I know we are all on here to find a magic cure. I wish it was that easy. I've been fighting with GERD for about 8 years and nothing was helping. I've been on and off of various prescriptions, and changed my diet around. This is what I have had the best results with: -as far as prescriptions go; Prevacid was great for a bit but my symptoms came back depending on my diet; Tecta is what I am currently on and it is by far the best medicine I have tried, for once in my life I can eat a meal and not feel burning pain to the point where I want to cry and vomit all at the same time.. -exercise -diet; this was the trickiest part because everyone kept giving me "advice"; eventually I followed my gut and this is what is working for me- no coffee, stay away from caffeinated tea, no pop or carbonated water, no apple juice, no orange juice, soy milk is good for you, I don't drink regular milk, no spicy food, nothing too salty, nothing sour, sweets like chocolate are okay in moderation, surprisingly pickles are great because they help balance out the acids in your stomach, water with freshly squeezed lemon in it with no sugar is also great to try and help your body regulate the acidity levels.. Good luck!

GERD - Proton Pump Inhibitors Question: If your GERD symptoms were not relieved by treatment with proton pump inhibitors, did you find other effective treatments?
GERD - Causes Question: Do you know what caused your GERD? Please discuss your experience with GERD.
GERD - Complications Question: Did you experience any complications with your GERD? What were they?
GERD - Diagnosis Question: How did your doctors arrive at a diagnosis of GERD?
GERD - Treatment Question: What types of treatment or medication have you received for GERD? What's worked and what hasn't?