Patient Comments: GERD - Diet

What diet and lifestyle changes have you made to improve your GERD and heartburn?

Comment from: Debo, 13-18 Male (Patient) Published: May 04

I got stung by a catfish on my back.

Comment from: concerned, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 03

My menopause is over since 10 years ago, I am still getting terrible night sweats. I have no other symptoms. I wonder how long these sweats can last.

Comment from: shivani k., 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 03

We only need to maintain cleanliness around ourselves. The dengue is never spread because mosquitos develop only in dirty places, so maintaining cleanliness we can prevent dengue.

Comment from: me, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: December 15

My first costochondritis attack was when I was 14, I got kicked in the chest by a horse. It was long (approximately 2 weeks) before I started to have chest pains. At the time my mom and dad thought I was just trying to get attention because I was the 4th child out of 5. Years went by, and my nephew (my sister's boy) started having attacks in high school (16). They did all kinds of tests, and after all these years my parents realized there was something going on. I was very athletic in high school as my nephew was. I learned how to live with it every day; some attacks are worse than others. The only fear I have is I will have a heart attack and pass it off as one of these and heart disease runs in both sides of my family. I hope I never have to find out. I had a little attack today and my co-workers pretty much freaked. The worse is when I wait for days off before going to the doctor and all he can do is give my hydrocodone and I hate that medicine, makes me feel drunk all the time. Thank goodness it has been a couple of years now that I had to take something for it. My leg does not work well and my left arm might as well be amputated on some of these attacks.

Comment from: gerdified, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: August 20

Chewing gum while experiencing heartburns helps me a lot. it does help when you feel acid up your throat, because it increases saliva that helps in the flow in your esophagus, thus, acid is washed off, thereby causing decrease in heartburns.

Comment from: Sandy S, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 23

I have suffered many years with acid reflux and discovered recently that along with not eating a huge meal in the evening, I will eat an apple before going to bed. I don't know why but it keeps me from having any reflux. It also helps to eat an apple if you are suffering from an episode of reflux.

Comment from: UCgal, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 04

I have had acid reflux for over 20 years now. I have had my gallbladder removed and it was not successful. I have been on Prilosec, Prevacid and Dexilant again. I take digestive enzymes and probiotics which help a lot. I was only on 15 mg of Prevacid OTC when I recently got another flare up of acid reflux; horrible. So now I'm back on Dexilant for 4 weeks and follow a diet. It does help if you watch what you eat, do things in moderation, meaning the things you love, and exercise. My flare up of GERD is due to my not following my diet.

Comment from: Ollie, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 31

Was just released from hospital after 3 days. Went to ER for severe/acute upper abdominal pain and vomiting. Had all kinds of tests and finally on 3rd day was told I had GERD, ekg great, x-rays clear, ultrasound for gall bladder negative. It is hard to believe that because of GERD I ended up in ER and was given morphine for the pain. Has anyone ever experienced this kind of pain associated with GERD.

GERD - Proton Pump Inhibitors Question: If your GERD symptoms were not relieved by treatment with proton pump inhibitors, did you find other effective treatments?
GERD - Causes Question: Do you know what caused your GERD? Please discuss your experience with GERD.
GERD - Complications Question: Did you experience any complications with your GERD? What were they?
GERD - Diagnosis Question: How did your doctors arrive at a diagnosis of GERD?
GERD - Treatment Question: What types of treatment or medication have you received for GERD? What's worked and what hasn't?