Patient Comments: GERD - Diet

What diet and lifestyle changes have you made to improve your GERD and heartburn?

Comment from: nareflux, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 19

I am happy to know that I am not alone. I cry every day because of GERD. I took the H. pylori test and my doctor told me I will deal with Halitosis permanently. I never knew GERD had such an effect on a person's health. My currently have pain in my right ear and lymph nodes on the right side of my neck. I request that my doctor do the fundoplication surgery but he refuse. I fell that no person should have to deal with this. I currently deal with the co-worker and my boss treating my so coldly. I'm just praying to get fired so I can focus on getting my help in order. I am tired of crying over something I cannot fix.

Published: February 09

I suffer from Gerd and heartburn and I also have a hiatal hernia. Sometime I wake with a burning in my chest and nausea in the morning. What has helps me is taking Zypan by standard process you get it at a health food store. I also take acidophilus chewable this has help me better than other prescription drugs such as zantac and protonix. I have been to doctor. Now I don't have any problems with heartburn or feeling sick to my stomach.

Comment from: Heather, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 01

I have gone to my family Dr. and feel she does not fully understand what I am saying, believing that my systems are on in my "head". Very upsetting. I have, in the morning, a draining that last about an hours, constant clearing of the throat, draining, spitting thick clear mucus and blowing my nose with same thick clear "spit". I use a nose wash, which helps little. During the day, if I drink pop, or acidy drinks, eat tomatoes it gets worse. Water seems to help. But at least 3 or more times a day, I am clearing my throat, trying to swallow. I always feel like there is a knot in my throat, and I am being choked. Please help me. I know I am NOT making this up, where do I go for answers and validation.

Comment from: jane, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 15

Diagnosed with GERD and Barrett's Esophagus and ulcers via Endoscopy 1 month ago. Am taking prilosec. Stunned, although I suspected ulcers, I have stopped drinking coffee, wine and all of the other things on the list. Frankly, I hardly know what to eat anymore. I don't have heartburn, but do have throat pain and hoarseness a lot, in spite of 5 weeks on Prilosec. I am not overweight, exercise everyday, don't smoke and have always eaten a low fat diet. I am sleeping with a slanted pillow. I have gone to a Esophageal Center for another opinion. They want to repeat endoscopy, do ph monitoring, bsrium swallow etc. Am reading everything I can find, but given a pretty healthy lifestyle, I wonder how much more I can do.

Comment from: andre, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: February 17

Hi am a 26 year old male having a chronic problem with breathing since I was 16. It first started out as I woke up and went to basketball practice, when I started running I noticed I was getting short of breath like I was a heavy smoker or something. Then came fatigue I was tired every day and that's how it is every day for the last 10 years always tired and always shortness of breath. The worst time of the day is always morning if I feel little better at night in morning it all disappears and it is bad like before. Also I wake up earlier many times because I need to pee often. It's like I have some kind of pressure in my diaphragm area which doesn't let me breathe in fully. I made lots of examinations when I made my first x-ray I was diagnosed with a hernia and then when I did my next x-ray there was no hernia which confused me even more. I did also swallowing of that tube and it showed lots of acidity the doctor even asked me if I was eating something that morning because it was acidic or something while I haven't eaten for 12 hours. I have taken controloc for a month and it didn't help me, I also took lansoprasole for a month and it didn't help me either. I was also tested for pylori which was negative. The most frustrating part about this is that I am tired every day and short of breath and it sometimes is a little better in morning then it is all back to square one. Tired and feeling of pressure abdomen and short of breath and it's like that throughout the whole day so it's not an attack of some kind.

Comment from: Kat, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: October 08

Chocolate is my GERD enemy and lately ice cream seems to be a problem, so much so that I awake with an urgent need to vomit. The last couple of times I noticed small red dots on my face the next morning. I have stopped eating both of these foods but am curious if the severity of the vomiting caused the red dots. It's tough having to give up my favorite foods... I have long since gave up spicy food for dinner.

GERD - Proton Pump Inhibitors Question: If your GERD symptoms were not relieved by treatment with proton pump inhibitors, did you find other effective treatments?
GERD - Causes Question: Do you know what caused your GERD? Please discuss your experience with GERD.
GERD - Complications Question: Did you experience any complications with your GERD? What were they?
GERD - Diagnosis Question: How did your doctors arrive at a diagnosis of GERD?
GERD - Treatment Question: What types of treatment or medication have you received for GERD? What's worked and what hasn't?