Patient Comments: GERD - Diet

What diet and lifestyle changes have you made to improve your GERD and heartburn?

Comment from: elvin, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: May 06

About two years ago I first experience this kind of stomachache with heartburn. There's nothing I can do but wait for a few hours because no medicine can keep it away. It seldom happens – like every two or three months. But lately, it attacks me like every month. My parents advised me to see a doctor because whenever I have this stomachache I look like I'm dying. It really hurts. I visited a doctor and was prescribed the medicine for acid reflux. She said to take it 30 minutes before meal for two weeks. I thought it will never go back. It's my fault because I did not change my eating habits. Now when I feel like it will attack me again, I will eat something and it's fine. I don't drink soft drinks and juice any more – only water. I eat an apple every day.

Comment from: Happy, Published: January 10

I too was just diagnoiced with GERD. I went to the ER because I thought I was having a heart attack. The EKG test came back negative, the chest x-ray also came out negative. I even had a stress test and it also came back negative. I am relieved. Now I need to focus on what not to eat or drink. I am also taking medication to prevent another occurrence.

Comment from: Heather, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 01

I have gone to my family Dr. and feel she does not fully understand what I am saying, believing that my systems are on in my "head". Very upsetting. I have, in the morning, a draining that last about an hours, constant clearing of the throat, draining, spitting thick clear mucus and blowing my nose with same thick clear "spit". I use a nose wash, which helps little. During the day, if I drink pop, or acidy drinks, eat tomatoes it gets worse. Water seems to help. But at least 3 or more times a day, I am clearing my throat, trying to swallow. I always feel like there is a knot in my throat, and I am being choked. Please help me. I know I am NOT making this up, where do I go for answers and validation.

Comment from: jane, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 15

Diagnosed with GERD and Barrett's Esophagus and ulcers via Endoscopy 1 month ago. Am taking prilosec. Stunned, although I suspected ulcers, I have stopped drinking coffee, wine and all of the other things on the list. Frankly, I hardly know what to eat anymore. I don't have heartburn, but do have throat pain and hoarseness a lot, in spite of 5 weeks on Prilosec. I am not overweight, exercise everyday, don't smoke and have always eaten a low fat diet. I am sleeping with a slanted pillow. I have gone to a Esophageal Center for another opinion. They want to repeat endoscopy, do ph monitoring, bsrium swallow etc. Am reading everything I can find, but given a pretty healthy lifestyle, I wonder how much more I can do.

Comment from: andre, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: February 17

Hi am a 26 year old male having a chronic problem with breathing since I was 16. It first started out as I woke up and went to basketball practice, when I started running I noticed I was getting short of breath like I was a heavy smoker or something. Then came fatigue I was tired every day and that's how it is every day for the last 10 years always tired and always shortness of breath. The worst time of the day is always morning if I feel little better at night in morning it all disappears and it is bad like before. Also I wake up earlier many times because I need to pee often. It's like I have some kind of pressure in my diaphragm area which doesn't let me breathe in fully. I made lots of examinations when I made my first x-ray I was diagnosed with a hernia and then when I did my next x-ray there was no hernia which confused me even more. I did also swallowing of that tube and it showed lots of acidity the doctor even asked me if I was eating something that morning because it was acidic or something while I haven't eaten for 12 hours. I have taken controloc for a month and it didn't help me, I also took lansoprasole for a month and it didn't help me either. I was also tested for pylori which was negative. The most frustrating part about this is that I am tired every day and short of breath and it sometimes is a little better in morning then it is all back to square one. Tired and feeling of pressure abdomen and short of breath and it's like that throughout the whole day so it's not an attack of some kind.

Comment from: Michelle, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: September 25

I just got back from the hospital, I took an ambulance ride. I thought I was having a heart attack. My chest feels like someone hit it with a sledgehammer and it went straight through to my back. The diagnosis was GERD. I have smoked for 32 years but I had no idea that it would worsen the symptoms. I am going to have to change everything about my diet and lifestyle. No more coffee (ouch), sodas, or any caffeine at all. I have to be careful not to eat huge meals and never lie down after a meal (guilty pleasure). And I have to quit smoking. But, this pain is horrible so I guess I will do it!

GERD - Proton Pump Inhibitors Question: If your GERD symptoms were not relieved by treatment with proton pump inhibitors, did you find other effective treatments?
GERD - Causes Question: Do you know what caused your GERD? Please discuss your experience with GERD.
GERD - Complications Question: Did you experience any complications with your GERD? What were they?
GERD - Diagnosis Question: How did your doctors arrive at a diagnosis of GERD?
GERD - Treatment Question: What types of treatment or medication have you receive for GERD? What's worked and what hasn't?