Patient Comments: GERD - Proton Pump Inhibitors

If your GERD symptoms were not relieved by treatment with proton pump inhibitors, did you find other effective treatments?

Comment from: brandon7, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: January 14

I was having heartburn, belching and pain on my right side and chest after eating, for over a month. My doctor did an ultrasound thinking it was gallstones. Results came back negative. He put me on once a day Prilosec but it wasn't helping. I tried Prevacid and it made me feel bloated and gassy but I was still in pain. My doctor referred me to a gastroenterologist and he immediately put me on twice a day pantoprazole and sent me to have an endoscopy two weeks later. Twice a day pantoprazole helped quite a bit but I still felt pain. After the endoscopy, he said I had possible Barrett's esophagus but the pathology report came back negative for Barrett's a week later (thank goodness). I was diagnosed with a hiatal hernia and mild gastritis. The 2 times a day pantoprazole was making me feel awful, bloated and gassy and constipated but was helping my pain. I switched to Nexium and immediately felt much better (reduced pain and no gas or bloating). I also purchased a sleeping wedge and it greatly helped my symptoms. I am now down to one Nexium per day and 99 percent pain free. I would say to try several proton pump inhibitors to see what works best. I tried Prilosec, Prevacid, pantoprazole and finally Nexium. Also, consider a sleeping wedge, it also seemed to greatly help. I no longer wake at night with pain and when I get up in the morning I don't feel anything. I also now watch my diet better (no coffee or chocolate or spicy foods) and don't seem to have problems. I was worried I might need surgery but my gastroenterologist kept telling me not to do it and he was confident he could help me get back to feeling good again. It has taken a couple months but I'm not feeling like I'm back to my old self.

Comment from: here to help, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 30

I recently had an upper endoscopy done. I was having things get stuck in throat; hard to swallow my own spit (sorry), even water, hiccups, and my throat felt swollen. I felt full all the time and nauseated. I was found to have candida (yeast or thrush). The doctor took biopsy. Plus, I had so much fat sitting in my stomach that wasn"t digested, he suctioned it out. I did have a scope last year. I don"t think it was called an endoscopy. I have GERD, hernia, and gastroparesis which is slow emptying of stomach by 50%. You needed to eat a radioactive egg to see how fast you digest food; it"s also good to see how you digest medications. This can be a big problem if food is sitting in your stomach longer than it should. It could cause problems from your throat to your colon. I know because I now need a colon resection and have outer rectal prolapse at age 42. I need part of stomach removed and looking at esophagus surgery. I do hope this message helps at least one person out there. I found a great internal medicine doctor, bless his heart.

Comment from: artchick, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 06

For past two years I have been getting extensive blood work, CAT scans etc., to try to find answers for another medical problem they can"t explain why. But searching I was just diagnosed about 8 months ago with GERD and a small hiatal hernia. I have never suffered from heartburn. I changed my diet stopped sodas and fast food two years ago and started with omeprazole about 8 months ago. Everything was fine until I had an attack for eating something spicy in December and I ended up in the emergency room. Nothing works. I just started Nexium will see how that works. I tried the apple cider vinegar with water and honey which made it worse. I get bad sinus tension headaches as result too.

Published: June 23

I was diagnosed five years ago with GERD and hiatal hernia. I've been treated with PPIs during this time, with little success. Having made all the lifestyle changes to diet, sleep habits, etc., and still no significant relief, I also developed symptoms of LPR -- trouble swallowing, lump in the throat, and hoarseness. My treating GI and a speech therapist counseled me and the GI upped my PPI dosage. Now, the LPR is only occasional, but the reflux symptoms at night have become chronic, even though I've eliminated all coffee and chocolate at night and do not eat after 6 pm. Recent tests show only low average acid levels and NO hiatal hernia. What's going on? A head and neck surgical specialist has recommended a throat biopsy to look for non-acidic reflux.

GERD - Diet Question: What diet and lifestyle changes have you made to improve your GERD and heartburn?
GERD - Causes Question: Do you know what caused your GERD? Please discuss your experience with GERD.
GERD - Complications Question: Did you experience any complications with your GERD? What were they?
GERD - Diagnosis Question: How did your doctors arrive at a diagnosis of GERD?
GERD - Treatment Question: What types of treatment or medication have you received for GERD? What's worked and what hasn't?