Patient Comments: GERD - Proton Pump Inhibitors

If your GERD symptoms were not relieved by treatment with proton pump inhibitors, did you find other effective treatments?

Published: April 22

I don't get the burning sensation, just an incessant need to belch. Many times, almost continuously. I have teen taking Prilosec with mixed results. The onset is often after eating spicy food and can last up to three days at a time. It prevents me from sleeping and makes it difficult to concentrate at work.

Published: April 22

I first went to my doctor because of various symptoms: severe heartburn, chest pain, difficulty swallowing, shortness of breath, foaming saliva, and the taste of regurgitation in my mouth. He prescribed Aciphex which relieved these symptoms but caused terrible gas and diarrhea. Today I saw a gastroenterologist who switched me to Protonix and scheduled a endoscopy. Will keep you posted. In the meantime, peppermint gels and digestive enzymes containing papaya have seemed to help.

Published: April 22

Raw carrots at breakfast had helped a bit with nausea. Eating cinnamon with liquids helps too. I drink less coffee and coke. I have found that eating a raw potato helps a bit too, eating fruits do make a difference. I took Prilosec two times for 6 months each time and did help some but, it came back.

Published: April 21

My symptoms were relieved with a three-month course of Aciphex. However, three years later, the symptoms have reoccurred. I am wondering whether I just need to do three more months of Aciphex, or what would be a better course of treatment.

Published: April 21

I often wake up with extreme pain the mid chest which comes on suddenly at night. This wakes me up and I run to the bathroom to swallow a cup of warm or hot water which quickly stops the pain. This can recur more then once a night. I began taking Prevacid regularly for about a month, then I thought maybe I didn't need to take it everyday and stopped. Immediately the pain returned at night and also a nagging pain during the day (which may or may not be related) so I've resumed the Prevacid.

Published: April 18

l have just returned home from the ER with severe pain in my chest back neck and left arm. l was told l had GERD in October of 07, but never had this much pain like today. It felt like a heart attack. l was on Nexium for a while, but it never helped. Thank god they said all the tests came back negative for any heart problems and prescribed Prevacid. I'm still not feeling well. Does anyone have these GERD symptoms?

Published: April 17

My nausea has not improved at all with Nexium.

Published: April 16

What I do to help control my acid reflux is, eat some crackers, common anti-acids, and ginger ale seems to help. The only problem with the anti-acids is, its makes me feel full and the effects only last a short time. I've gotten 2 "attacks" in 2 years. It feels like my upper stomach was just stabbed, and after a bit, my chest starts to hurt. When its gets really really bad, the only thing I can do is throw up to get rid of the acid, then take some Pepto Bismol, and it helps awhile. Because after an "attack" the spot will be really sore for a few days.

Published: April 16

I have hade reflux problems for 30 years and the medications work well for the heartburn problem but when I started coughing up stuff that I ate the day before, that explained why I have had pneumonia about 30 times. I am considering surgery because I am afraid that the next time I wake-up choking on dinner may be the last. It seams like the doctors want to treat problems and I am spending my life treating too many problems I wish they would just cure something ............anything!

GERD - Diet Question: What diet and lifestyle changes have you made to improve your GERD and heartburn?
GERD - Causes Question: Do you know what caused your GERD? Please discuss your experience with GERD.
GERD - Complications Question: Did you experience any complications with your GERD? What were they?
GERD - Diagnosis Question: How did your doctors arrive at a diagnosis of GERD?
GERD - Treatment Question: What types of treatment or medication have you receive for GERD? What's worked and what hasn't?