Patient Comments: GERD - Proton Pump Inhibitors

If your GERD symptoms were not relieved by treatment with proton pump inhibitors, did you find other effective treatments?

Published: April 23

Dear Dr. Marks, I've had serious heartburn for years. I can not eat anything that is spicy that I love. I've been taking prescription drugs for 2 years, and they have worked, but now I am concerned with the side effects of the drugs and would like to discontinue them. I've tried a product called Aloecure, and so far I find it has worked well. So how do I discontinue the drugs and continue taking just the Aloecure. I asked my doctor about this product, but he is not familiar with it. Have you heard about the product?

Published: April 22

I have acid reflux but only on several occasions had heartburn. My main complaint was sore throat and coughing. After two years of Prevacid, the coughing and sore throat have ceased. Unfortunately, I still have reflux. Even though I wait three hours to lie down after eating. Even though I only weigh 160. Even though I don't smoke, don't drink coffee, avoid tomatoes, onions, spicy and fried food. Even sitting straight up - if I fall asleep after eating, the reflux will shoot straight up my esophagus to the point I am choking on it. I'm going in next month for testing and possible stretching of the esophageal sphincter.

Published: April 22

I don't get the burning sensation, just an incessant need to belch. Many times, almost continuously. I have teen taking Prilosec with mixed results. The onset is often after eating spicy food and can last up to three days at a time. It prevents me from sleeping and makes it difficult to concentrate at work.

Published: April 22

I first went to my doctor because of various symptoms: severe heartburn, chest pain, difficulty swallowing, shortness of breath, foaming saliva, and the taste of regurgitation in my mouth. He prescribed Aciphex which relieved these symptoms but caused terrible gas and diarrhea. Today I saw a gastroenterologist who switched me to Protonix and scheduled a endoscopy. Will keep you posted. In the meantime, peppermint gels and digestive enzymes containing papaya have seemed to help.

Published: April 22

Raw carrots at breakfast had helped a bit with nausea. Eating cinnamon with liquids helps too. I drink less coffee and coke. I have found that eating a raw potato helps a bit too, eating fruits do make a difference. I took Prilosec two times for 6 months each time and did help some but, it came back.

Published: April 21

My symptoms were relieved with a three-month course of Aciphex. However, three years later, the symptoms have reoccurred. I am wondering whether I just need to do three more months of Aciphex, or what would be a better course of treatment.

Published: April 21

I often wake up with extreme pain the mid chest which comes on suddenly at night. This wakes me up and I run to the bathroom to swallow a cup of warm or hot water which quickly stops the pain. This can recur more then once a night. I began taking Prevacid regularly for about a month, then I thought maybe I didn't need to take it everyday and stopped. Immediately the pain returned at night and also a nagging pain during the day (which may or may not be related) so I've resumed the Prevacid.

Published: April 18

l have just returned home from the ER with severe pain in my chest back neck and left arm. l was told l had GERD in October of 07, but never had this much pain like today. It felt like a heart attack. l was on Nexium for a while, but it never helped. Thank god they said all the tests came back negative for any heart problems and prescribed Prevacid. I'm still not feeling well. Does anyone have these GERD symptoms?

Published: April 17

My nausea has not improved at all with Nexium.

GERD - Diet Question: What diet and lifestyle changes have you made to improve your GERD and heartburn?
GERD - Causes Question: Do you know what caused your GERD? Please discuss your experience with GERD.
GERD - Complications Question: Did you experience any complications with your GERD? What were they?
GERD - Diagnosis Question: How did your doctors arrive at a diagnosis of GERD?
GERD - Treatment Question: What types of treatment or medication have you received for GERD? What's worked and what hasn't?