Patient Comments: GERD - Proton Pump Inhibitors

If your GERD symptoms were not relieved by treatment with proton pump inhibitors, did you find other effective treatments?

Published: April 25

I took Prevacid for 2 years and now take Nexium for acid reflux. However, in the past 3 months, (while still taking Prevacid) I wake up every morning and start coughing and gagging uncontrollably for about 20 minutes. I cough and gag up tons of mucus, and sometimes liquids in my stomach. I thought Nexium would give relief, but it hasn't. Now my M.D. has scheduled me for an upper G.I. I thought the gagging would be caused more by post nasal drip, but he doesn't seem to think so.

Published: April 24

I have an acid taste in mouth, nausea, incapacitating upper abdominal pain, inability to eat more than a few mouthfuls of any food.

Published: April 24

As soon as I eat something my reflux seems to go away, but when I stop eating it's right back there again. I am taking medication for high blood pressure and it seems to me that my reflux has come back since I have been on this medication. Other then that I have not had reflux in about 3 years. Is it possible my high blood pressure medication is giving me reflux?

Published: April 23

Dear Dr. Marks, I've had serious heartburn for years. I can not eat anything that is spicy that I love. I've been taking prescription drugs for 2 years, and they have worked, but now I am concerned with the side effects of the drugs and would like to discontinue them. I've tried a product called Aloecure, and so far I find it has worked well. So how do I discontinue the drugs and continue taking just the Aloecure. I asked my doctor about this product, but he is not familiar with it. Have you heard about the product?

Published: April 22

I have acid reflux but only on several occasions had heartburn. My main complaint was sore throat and coughing. After two years of Prevacid, the coughing and sore throat have ceased. Unfortunately, I still have reflux. Even though I wait three hours to lie down after eating. Even though I only weigh 160. Even though I don't smoke, don't drink coffee, avoid tomatoes, onions, spicy and fried food. Even sitting straight up - if I fall asleep after eating, the reflux will shoot straight up my esophagus to the point I am choking on it. I'm going in next month for testing and possible stretching of the esophageal sphincter.

Published: April 22

I don't get the burning sensation, just an incessant need to belch. Many times, almost continuously. I have teen taking Prilosec with mixed results. The onset is often after eating spicy food and can last up to three days at a time. It prevents me from sleeping and makes it difficult to concentrate at work.

Published: April 22

I first went to my doctor because of various symptoms: severe heartburn, chest pain, difficulty swallowing, shortness of breath, foaming saliva, and the taste of regurgitation in my mouth. He prescribed Aciphex which relieved these symptoms but caused terrible gas and diarrhea. Today I saw a gastroenterologist who switched me to Protonix and scheduled a endoscopy. Will keep you posted. In the meantime, peppermint gels and digestive enzymes containing papaya have seemed to help.

Published: April 22

Raw carrots at breakfast had helped a bit with nausea. Eating cinnamon with liquids helps too. I drink less coffee and coke. I have found that eating a raw potato helps a bit too, eating fruits do make a difference. I took Prilosec two times for 6 months each time and did help some but, it came back.

Published: April 21

My symptoms were relieved with a three-month course of Aciphex. However, three years later, the symptoms have reoccurred. I am wondering whether I just need to do three more months of Aciphex, or what would be a better course of treatment.

GERD - Diet Question: What diet and lifestyle changes have you made to improve your GERD and heartburn?
GERD - Causes Question: Do you know what caused your GERD? Please discuss your experience with GERD.
GERD - Complications Question: Did you experience any complications with your GERD? What were they?
GERD - Diagnosis Question: How did your doctors arrive at a diagnosis of GERD?
GERD - Treatment Question: What types of treatment or medication have you received for GERD? What's worked and what hasn't?