Patient Comments: GERD - Proton Pump Inhibitors

If your GERD symptoms were not relieved by treatment with proton pump inhibitors, did you find other effective treatments?

Published: May 01

It burns when I drink tea or wine and feels like something is sitting in the back of my throat. At times it feels like a knot in my stomach. I also have hoarseness.

Published: May 01

Initially, Aciphex worked very well for me and I took one per day for nine months and was able to stop without symptoms at all for two years. Then they came back with a vengeance and nothing has helped them. Not the Aciphex not the 40mg of Nexium I have been taking for the past three months. I have constant heartburn and do not know what to do. I am worried about all the consequences that could occur due to the irritation of my esophagus but my doctors seem very nonchalant about it.

Published: April 30

I am scheduled for an upper GI tomorrow, my symptoms started about a month ago. The feeling of something stuck in my chest/throat is the most annoying, I wake up at night feeling like I can't breath at times, and my skin feels very hot - not to the touch but on the inside of my body, usually in the back of my head. I've been through many tests to find the culprit and so far everything has come back negative hence the upper GI - they gave me Nexium to take but that is not helping my symptoms at all. I'm clueless as to what I could possibly have.

Published: April 28

Since taking either Nexium or omeprazole (Prilosec), for a diagnosed inflamed esophagus I continue to have a very bitter taste no matter what I eat. It is almost continuous. I did not experience the bitter taste previous to taking these drugs. I do sleep with a wedge and make every effort to avoid any acidic foods. I have also tried eating several small meals as opposed to three larger ones. I do not experience problems during the night. I would appreciate any solution to this problem.

Published: April 25

I took Prevacid for 2 years and now take Nexium for acid reflux. However, in the past 3 months, (while still taking Prevacid) I wake up every morning and start coughing and gagging uncontrollably for about 20 minutes. I cough and gag up tons of mucus, and sometimes liquids in my stomach. I thought Nexium would give relief, but it hasn't. Now my M.D. has scheduled me for an upper G.I. I thought the gagging would be caused more by post nasal drip, but he doesn't seem to think so.

Published: April 24

I have an acid taste in mouth, nausea, incapacitating upper abdominal pain, inability to eat more than a few mouthfuls of any food.

Published: April 24

As soon as I eat something my reflux seems to go away, but when I stop eating it's right back there again. I am taking medication for high blood pressure and it seems to me that my reflux has come back since I have been on this medication. Other then that I have not had reflux in about 3 years. Is it possible my high blood pressure medication is giving me reflux?

Published: April 23

Dear Dr. Marks, I've had serious heartburn for years. I can not eat anything that is spicy that I love. I've been taking prescription drugs for 2 years, and they have worked, but now I am concerned with the side effects of the drugs and would like to discontinue them. I've tried a product called Aloecure, and so far I find it has worked well. So how do I discontinue the drugs and continue taking just the Aloecure. I asked my doctor about this product, but he is not familiar with it. Have you heard about the product?

Published: April 22

I have acid reflux but only on several occasions had heartburn. My main complaint was sore throat and coughing. After two years of Prevacid, the coughing and sore throat have ceased. Unfortunately, I still have reflux. Even though I wait three hours to lie down after eating. Even though I only weigh 160. Even though I don't smoke, don't drink coffee, avoid tomatoes, onions, spicy and fried food. Even sitting straight up - if I fall asleep after eating, the reflux will shoot straight up my esophagus to the point I am choking on it. I'm going in next month for testing and possible stretching of the esophageal sphincter.

GERD - Diet Question: What diet and lifestyle changes have you made to improve your GERD and heartburn?
GERD - Causes Question: Do you know what caused your GERD? Please discuss your experience with GERD.
GERD - Complications Question: Did you experience any complications with your GERD? What were they?
GERD - Diagnosis Question: How did your doctors arrive at a diagnosis of GERD?
GERD - Treatment Question: What types of treatment or medication have you receive for GERD? What's worked and what hasn't?