Patient Comments: GERD - Proton Pump Inhibitors

If your GERD symptoms were not relieved by treatment with proton pump inhibitors, did you find other effective treatments?

Published: May 06

My husband takes pantoprazole (Protonix) every day. Two to three times a month he jumps out of bed and has acid in his throat that he says gives him pain and affects his breathing. Then he coughs nonstop for at least an hour.

Published: May 06

I have had GERD for 18 years now and my Dr. has gave me a medication called pantoprazole (Protonix, Somac), which has worked very well for me. I have also found that eating regular small meals and avoiding foods that seem to react with my disease is a good preventive.

Published: May 05

I have previously used esomeprazole (Nexium) short-term and started again last week because of a recurrence of symptoms. While the burning feeling is pretty much under control now, I still get nauseous and frequent belching. I don't remember having those symptoms the previous times I took it. Also I have fibromyalgia and the Nexium always seems to make that flare-up and become much worse.

Published: May 04

At the beginning my symptoms were chest pain and some belching. I was prescribed rabeprazole (Aciphex) and the chest pain is less, but the belching is almost constant mostly in the morning and a little less the rest of the day and evening. I have never had heartburn.

Published: May 04

It feels like something is stuck in the back of my throat, burning chest pain, and regurgitation (burping up acidic liquid). The more anxious I get the more pronounced my symptoms are. I took Prilosec OTC for about a week but received no improvement so I stopped.

Published: May 03

I use ginger to help get rid of GERD. I notice that when I have 3-4 pieces a day (crystallized, raw, or dried), I find my GERD almost disappears.

Published: May 02

For the past six months I have suffered from the globus sensation - the feeling of something stuck in the throat. Also, I have a gurgling sound often when I swallow things, as if liquid is getting 'hung up' at the back of my throat. The worst of it though is that when my throat is at its worst the muscles of my throat feel like they are strained and tight. It's very akin to the feeling of being emotionally upset, although this sensation just occurs at random and doesn't follow any strong emotion. Talking was also difficult as my voice would tire easily and become somewhat raspy.

I was put on Nexium twice/day for a month. The Nexium caused improvement for about two weeks and then no more. I went back and was given Reglan. The Reglan seems to help, but the problem is certainly not gone. I've been on Reglan now for two months. I don't experience as much gurgling at all, and the super tight constricted feeling in my throat has only come when I haven't been compliant with the medicine. However, the lump is still there, albeit not quite as badly as it was before. The problem is, I can't take Reglan for the rest of my life, because of its side effects. I think Tardive dyskinesia would be worse than this horrible throat situation, and both would certainly be terrible.

Published: May 02

I was prescribed esomeprazole (Nexium) 20mg once a day, but I continue to get burning in my throat and sometimes it affects me when I talk on the phone for more then 20 minutes. My doctor increased that dosage to 20mg twice a day, but I have been on that dosage for a week and so far the burning continues. I have an acid taste in my mouth and sore and dry throat. I am thinking of trying 40 mg once a day. I have a hiatal hernia diagnosed in 2004 and have had reflux since then.

Published: May 01

I am having pains in my neck and back after I eat and I feel tired, and I can't belch or pas gas. I take Nexium for acid reflux and I have anxiety. I have never associated the two. But when I feel bad after eating and I can't belch and I feel pain in my chest. My heart beats very loud in my ear at night and it is races very fast.

GERD - Diet Question: What diet and lifestyle changes have you made to improve your GERD and heartburn?
GERD - Causes Question: Do you know what caused your GERD? Please discuss your experience with GERD.
GERD - Complications Question: Did you experience any complications with your GERD? What were they?
GERD - Diagnosis Question: How did your doctors arrive at a diagnosis of GERD?
GERD - Treatment Question: What types of treatment or medication have you receive for GERD? What's worked and what hasn't?