Patient Comments: GERD - Proton Pump Inhibitors

If your GERD symptoms were not relieved by treatment with proton pump inhibitors, did you find other effective treatments?

Published: May 08

In response to post on April 24., I also feel better when I eat. I also am on medicine for heart attack. I feel the medicine is making me sick. I'm on metoprolol (Toprol). The doctors say that the medicine is not making me have acid reflux.

Published: May 08

I have been throwing-up (vomiting) and gagging for over 2 years. I have had every type of test, endoscopy, esophageal ph monitoring, etc and every medication for GERD that is out there. At night, I gurgle and have chest pains when I am trying to sleep. No medication has helped. I also avoid all acidic foods and drinks.

Published: May 07

I have been on esomeprazole (Nexium) for 2+ years and I feel my GERD is getting worse. I've had an endoscopy and a barium enema which diagnosed GERD and IBS. My doctor just keeps changing my medication. The whole top of my stomach burns and it is now going to my back. Nights used to be worse but now it affects me during the day as well. It's just making me feel weak and tired now.

Published: May 07

I was diagnosed with GERD when I was 11 years old. I kept losing my voice and wasn't even able to let out a squeak. I had absolutely no sound. The doctors eventually saw that the acid had damaged my vocal cords. I was put on omeprazole (Prilosec), which didn't work. They then switched me to rabeprazole (Aciphex) 20mg which I have been on ever since. Now 9 years later, I still get occasional heartburn. If I miss one pill, I get extreme heartburn. Recently, I haven't missed any pills but am getting extreme heartburn, to the point of unbearable pain. I have a feeling I may be pregnant though, I've been extremely fatigued, had bad heartburn, frequent urination, and lower back and joint pain. I don't know if I am yet, I'll know in a few days, but I hope that is the cause of my horrible heartburn and not some other serious problem. I'm sure eventually in my life I'll have to have surgery to get my flap tightened.

Published: May 06

My husband takes pantoprazole (Protonix) every day. Two to three times a month he jumps out of bed and has acid in his throat that he says gives him pain and affects his breathing. Then he coughs nonstop for at least an hour.

Published: May 06

I have had GERD for 18 years now and my Dr. has gave me a medication called pantoprazole (Protonix, Somac), which has worked very well for me. I have also found that eating regular small meals and avoiding foods that seem to react with my disease is a good preventive.

Published: May 05

I have previously used esomeprazole (Nexium) short-term and started again last week because of a recurrence of symptoms. While the burning feeling is pretty much under control now, I still get nauseous and frequent belching. I don't remember having those symptoms the previous times I took it. Also I have fibromyalgia and the Nexium always seems to make that flare-up and become much worse.

Published: May 04

At the beginning my symptoms were chest pain and some belching. I was prescribed rabeprazole (Aciphex) and the chest pain is less, but the belching is almost constant mostly in the morning and a little less the rest of the day and evening. I have never had heartburn.

Published: May 04

It feels like something is stuck in the back of my throat, burning chest pain, and regurgitation (burping up acidic liquid). The more anxious I get the more pronounced my symptoms are. I took Prilosec OTC for about a week but received no improvement so I stopped.

GERD - Diet Question: What diet and lifestyle changes have you made to improve your GERD and heartburn?
GERD - Causes Question: Do you know what caused your GERD? Please discuss your experience with GERD.
GERD - Complications Question: Did you experience any complications with your GERD? What were they?
GERD - Diagnosis Question: How did your doctors arrive at a diagnosis of GERD?
GERD - Treatment Question: What types of treatment or medication have you received for GERD? What's worked and what hasn't?