Patient Comments: GERD - Proton Pump Inhibitors

If your GERD symptoms were not relieved by treatment with proton pump inhibitors, did you find other effective treatments?

Published: May 13

Approximately nine years ago I was diagnosed with a Gastroparesis like condition and total digestive hypomotility. At this time I was prescribed Domperidone 1/2 hr. before meals and a dose in the a.m. I only had relief when the domperidone was increased. Through time I have been able to reduce the domperidone to one before meals. I also take Lactulose syrup daily to increase the lower intestinal motility. However, about twice a year I have a return of the GERD symptoms which up until recently have been controlled by increase of the Losec to two in the a.m. At these times of flair up I now have to revert to two Domperidone before meals, up to the maximum daily dosage of eight tablets a day.

As I am at maximum dosage of both medications and still have flair ups of GERD symptoms and depending greatly on Gaviscon for some relief.

Published: May 13

PPI's generally help with the heartburn but not the reflux. I consistently have reflux every single night. I rarely have problems during the day. But every morning I wake up with a sour/bitter taste in my mouth and with small chunks of food lodged in my throat. I am also hoarse in the mornings which I suppose is a result of gastric contents refluxing into the larynx. Nothing I have ever taken has helped. I don't know what to do. This has been a problem for about seven years. I am now having trouble breathing and I think it's related to the reflux.

Published: May 13

I was diagnosed with IBS a year ago. Two months ago I was put on medication for high blood pressure and began having episodic shortness of breath, coughing and changed voice. At first the thought was it was the beta blocker or the lisinopril but I have been off of the beta blocker for a couple of weeks and the lisinopril for 10 days and still get attacks of shortness of breath and tightness in my chest. All tests, including heart check out normal. I do not have a burning sensation and I have noticed the attacks can come on at any time but often get worse after a meal. Prilosec does not seem to make a difference.

Published: May 12

For seven months now I have been having this crushing chest pain between my breast that radiated up to my right shoulder down my neck and into my shoulder blades. It started out with this pain and right side pain, leading the doctors to believe it was my gallbladder. I had a low functioning gallbladder, they removed the gallbladder and the pain is still here. The right side pain is no longer there. I have been diagnosed with a stricture (small) in my esophageus, years ago, but they did nothing about it. No, medicine is working, I have been on Prevacid, Prilosec, Aciphex, another medicine that I don't know the name off that coats the stomach. I also recently was on a round of Prevpac for H pylori. I have history of stomach ulcers. I am also having severe joint pain in almost every joint, my knees are the worst, hardly can walk especially stairs. I am tried of the pain and discomfort. I am going in about two weeks, for an endoscopy and colonoscopy, because I am having problems at the bottom of all this.

Published: May 09

My stomach is constantly upset, even before I eat in the morning. It is also upset after meals. I have acid reflux. My heartburn can be relieved by antacids, Zantac helps out with thatc but nothing seems to help me with my indigestion. I constantly have to burp, have nausea after eating, and often vomit after meals. It seems like my body is having trouble digesting, so if i eat poorly or too much, i vomit. I've tried Prilosec, Nexium and others and they help with heartburn, but not at all with my digestion problems, and acid reflux. I have no clue what to do. My doctor advised that I eat smaller meals and i did, but it seems anything I consume makes me sick...even a glass of milk will get me burping!

Published: May 08

In response to post on April 24., I also feel better when I eat. I also am on medicine for heart attack. I feel the medicine is making me sick. I'm on metoprolol (Toprol). The doctors say that the medicine is not making me have acid reflux.

Published: May 08

I have been throwing-up (vomiting) and gagging for over 2 years. I have had every type of test, endoscopy, esophageal ph monitoring, etc and every medication for GERD that is out there. At night, I gurgle and have chest pains when I am trying to sleep. No medication has helped. I also avoid all acidic foods and drinks.

GERD - Diet Question: What diet and lifestyle changes have you made to improve your GERD and heartburn?
GERD - Causes Question: Do you know what caused your GERD? Please discuss your experience with GERD.
GERD - Complications Question: Did you experience any complications with your GERD? What were they?
GERD - Diagnosis Question: How did your doctors arrive at a diagnosis of GERD?
GERD - Treatment Question: What types of treatment or medication have you received for GERD? What's worked and what hasn't?