Patient Comments: GERD - Proton Pump Inhibitors

If your GERD symptoms were not relieved by treatment with proton pump inhibitors, did you find other effective treatments?

Published: May 13

I was diagnosed with IBS a year ago. Two months ago I was put on medication for high blood pressure and began having episodic shortness of breath, coughing and changed voice. At first the thought was it was the beta blocker or the lisinopril but I have been off of the beta blocker for a couple of weeks and the lisinopril for 10 days and still get attacks of shortness of breath and tightness in my chest. All tests, including heart check out normal. I do not have a burning sensation and I have noticed the attacks can come on at any time but often get worse after a meal. Prilosec does not seem to make a difference.

Published: May 12

For seven months now I have been having this crushing chest pain between my breast that radiated up to my right shoulder down my neck and into my shoulder blades. It started out with this pain and right side pain, leading the doctors to believe it was my gallbladder. I had a low functioning gallbladder, they removed the gallbladder and the pain is still here. The right side pain is no longer there. I have been diagnosed with a stricture (small) in my esophageus, years ago, but they did nothing about it. No, medicine is working, I have been on Prevacid, Prilosec, Aciphex, another medicine that I don't know the name off that coats the stomach. I also recently was on a round of Prevpac for H pylori. I have history of stomach ulcers. I am also having severe joint pain in almost every joint, my knees are the worst, hardly can walk especially stairs. I am tried of the pain and discomfort. I am going in about two weeks, for an endoscopy and colonoscopy, because I am having problems at the bottom of all this.

Published: May 09

My stomach is constantly upset, even before I eat in the morning. It is also upset after meals. I have acid reflux. My heartburn can be relieved by antacids, Zantac helps out with thatc but nothing seems to help me with my indigestion. I constantly have to burp, have nausea after eating, and often vomit after meals. It seems like my body is having trouble digesting, so if i eat poorly or too much, i vomit. I've tried Prilosec, Nexium and others and they help with heartburn, but not at all with my digestion problems, and acid reflux. I have no clue what to do. My doctor advised that I eat smaller meals and i did, but it seems anything I consume makes me sick...even a glass of milk will get me burping!

Published: May 08

In response to post on April 24., I also feel better when I eat. I also am on medicine for heart attack. I feel the medicine is making me sick. I'm on metoprolol (Toprol). The doctors say that the medicine is not making me have acid reflux.

Published: May 08

I have been throwing-up (vomiting) and gagging for over 2 years. I have had every type of test, endoscopy, esophageal ph monitoring, etc and every medication for GERD that is out there. At night, I gurgle and have chest pains when I am trying to sleep. No medication has helped. I also avoid all acidic foods and drinks.

Published: May 07

I have been on esomeprazole (Nexium) for 2+ years and I feel my GERD is getting worse. I've had an endoscopy and a barium enema which diagnosed GERD and IBS. My doctor just keeps changing my medication. The whole top of my stomach burns and it is now going to my back. Nights used to be worse but now it affects me during the day as well. It's just making me feel weak and tired now.

Published: May 07

I was diagnosed with GERD when I was 11 years old. I kept losing my voice and wasn't even able to let out a squeak. I had absolutely no sound. The doctors eventually saw that the acid had damaged my vocal cords. I was put on omeprazole (Prilosec), which didn't work. They then switched me to rabeprazole (Aciphex) 20mg which I have been on ever since. Now 9 years later, I still get occasional heartburn. If I miss one pill, I get extreme heartburn. Recently, I haven't missed any pills but am getting extreme heartburn, to the point of unbearable pain. I have a feeling I may be pregnant though, I've been extremely fatigued, had bad heartburn, frequent urination, and lower back and joint pain. I don't know if I am yet, I'll know in a few days, but I hope that is the cause of my horrible heartburn and not some other serious problem. I'm sure eventually in my life I'll have to have surgery to get my flap tightened.

GERD - Diet Question: What diet and lifestyle changes have you made to improve your GERD and heartburn?
GERD - Causes Question: Do you know what caused your GERD? Please discuss your experience with GERD.
GERD - Complications Question: Did you experience any complications with your GERD? What were they?
GERD - Diagnosis Question: How did your doctors arrive at a diagnosis of GERD?
GERD - Treatment Question: What types of treatment or medication have you receive for GERD? What's worked and what hasn't?