Patient Comments: GERD - Proton Pump Inhibitors

If your GERD symptoms were not relieved by treatment with proton pump inhibitors, did you find other effective treatments?

Published: May 19

After several serious surgeries my reflux has gotten so bad that it has gone into my sinuses and ears. I have had nasal polyps removed and suspect that they may have returned. I also have Barrett's esophagus but cannot have treatment at this time due to ongoing gastroenterology problems and a large surgical hernia in the upper abdominal region. I am on Nexium 40 mg bid and Zantac 150.

Published: May 19

I have reflux 24 hours a day. It is worst when I eat carbohydrates. If I eat NO carbohydrates (only eggs, cheese, greens, meat) then I feel pretty good (other than getting very tired of eating the same things). I have tried omeprazole and Protonix and they provide a slight improvement in symptoms of stomach, throat, and tooth pain, but they do not stop the reflux which is my main symptom. In November I had the Plicator procedure performed on me and there was a big improvement, but it was not enough for me. I am probably going to get the Nissen fundoplication. I am often fatigued and depressed from my symptoms.

Published: May 19

The first year that I had symptoms of GERD my doctor ordered Protonix which worked well for me but after using the medication for that period my symptoms seemed to get worse and I noticed when I went off the proton pump inhibitor my symptoms decreased for a few months but then would flare up again and I would start the process over again, now my symptoms are increasing again. I don't know what to do at this point.

Published: May 19

I feel pressure like feeling or lump in throat when I burp or swallow at various times.

Published: May 19

I continue to have chest sensations and shortness of breath after two days of treatment. I went to the ER, they said it was not heart related or lung related. There diagnosis was gerd and anxiety.

Published: May 15

I've tried all Aciphex or Nexium twice a day and Pepcid in between. I still have and uncomfortable feeling in the upper stomach area, it feels like my stomach is in spasm and a terrible permanent sour-bitter taste in my mouth that won't go away, I've tried Reglan (once a day) but it makes me sleepy and I feel dizzy from it. I watch my diet all the time. I've even tried Apple Cider Vinegar for a while and nothing changed. I don't know what to do. Thank you.

Published: May 14

I have had a gastric and food intolerance for a long time and I am under medication Omeprazole 20g per day. But not improvement. I did food allergy test in march, and noticed that i have a lot food intolerance.

Published: May 14

I took Aciphex for gastris last summer, after a couple months of treatment it went away and then in February I began coughing in the morning, sometimes shortly after getting up, other times not until after breakfast. Later in the day meals, or even a VERY small snack will start the coughing and throating clearing. Finished the Aciphex, I had and now starting on Protinex. Only occasional heartburn. Barium swallow showed no aspiration, but a thickening or scarring of the vocal cords. Reducing acid is all well and good but it doesn't stop the reflux. Even a small bend at the waist can prompt a feeling of regurgitation. Haven't had a scope yet but see the doctor again in a couple days and I suspect that is next. My Internet research reveals A LOT of people out there suffering from this and can't get any relief. I'm not overweight, I don't drink alcohol, pop, or coffee. I don't eat spicy or greasy food. ANY kind of food in my stomach no matter how healthy or easy to digest causes reflux. I suspect my original gastris was brought on by stress and the excess acid damaged my sphincter. I've also come to the conclusion that a large meal for some strange reason seems to cause less coughing.

GERD - Diet Question: What diet and lifestyle changes have you made to improve your GERD and heartburn?
GERD - Causes Question: Do you know what caused your GERD? Please discuss your experience with GERD.
GERD - Complications Question: Did you experience any complications with your GERD? What were they?
GERD - Diagnosis Question: How did your doctors arrive at a diagnosis of GERD?
GERD - Treatment Question: What types of treatment or medication have you received for GERD? What's worked and what hasn't?