Patient Comments: GERD - Proton Pump Inhibitors

If your GERD symptoms were not relieved by treatment with proton pump inhibitors, did you find other effective treatments?

Published: May 29

I was diagnosed with GERD and Barrett's esophagus about 18 months ago. I had a Nissan fundoplication done and I take Protonix daily, but I still have frequent heartburn and a phlegm problem. As much as the heartburn is uncomfortable it is the phlegm that drives me nuts. It gets caught in my neck and throat so bad that you can visible see swelling. No one could even diagnose this until I went to see an acupuncturist. It is the best relief I have gotten. When I go for treatments about every two weeks I can actually feel the phlegm draining from my throat and neck and fell almost 100% better.

Published: May 29

I have been diagnosed with GERD and have been taking antacids when I need to. Taking medication has not brought me long-term relief. Whatever I ate just gave me pain. Fortunately, I came across AloeCure at CVS one month ago and decided to give it a try. I found it worked almost immediately, and I have not felt any side effects so far.

Published: May 22

I have been diagnosed with GERD, after reporting a pain, almost like swelling in my left upper abdominal area, just below the heart. This was approx three years ago. Heart problems have been ruled out. Nexium provided relief for the past couple of years then just wouldn't cut it. I have recently changed doctors and was put on Aciphex, which made things worse. My new Doc recommended an Endoscopic Ultrasound. This would be my 5TH Endoscopy!! This time they believe that the problem is a Hiatal Hernia, along with GERD.

Published: May 22

I felt like I burped more, actually, and the feeling like something was caught in my throat did not go away.

Published: May 21

My 17 year old has been on Prevacid for three instances which helps a little but he still wakes up first in the morning with a very touchy stomach. Anything, smell or water will make him vomit. Taking a Prevacid with water makes him vomit. I have taken my son at least three different times to the doctor on this and we don't get anywhere. It seems they are using very conservative treatments.

Published: May 21

Helpful article. Out of no where about two years ago started having symptoms of ulcer or gallbladder problems--was scoped and ultra-sounded, then when nothing detected, was put on 40 mg of Nexium. Big improvement, but about six months later, had major, heart attack-feeling GERD episode--and then every night after, so I was put on two Nexium a day by my doctor. Again, big improvement, but a couple months ago, started feeling bad again--maybe gastritis? Bloated, painful, coiling digestion, up high in the stomach region. Maybe because I tried to take just a couple ibuprofen? Decided to try alternatives--stopped Nexium three weeks ago (since it didn't seem to be inhibiting any acid), eating REALLY small bland meals (blah), stopped drinking my one cup of tea a day (my only bad food), propped up my head in bed. I'm feeling a little better, but still have hoarseness (had it before stopping Nexium). I can stand to give up foods, but my biggest issue is that I can't take anti-inflammatory medications for my plantar fasciitis and a bad case of tendinitis. This is limiting my normally active lifestyle! And I don't want to continually be upping the dosage of medications.

Published: May 19

Very informative article. I have had a chronic cough for the last 6 years. Doctors thought , asthma (refuted by testing), allergies (refuted by testing), eventually thought of GERD (bronchoscopy / laryngoscopy) and was put on PPi (pantoprazole and metoclopramide) both to no avail. In the end UK NHS did not have the will to take further and suggested a lifetime of Codeine for suppression. I declined as would need to see a doctor every other day to fill a prescription as well as dependency issues. More recently a doctor suggested a PH test to be sure once and for all.

GERD - Diet Question: What diet and lifestyle changes have you made to improve your GERD and heartburn?
GERD - Causes Question: Do you know what caused your GERD? Please discuss your experience with GERD.
GERD - Complications Question: Did you experience any complications with your GERD? What were they?
GERD - Diagnosis Question: How did your doctors arrive at a diagnosis of GERD?
GERD - Treatment Question: What types of treatment or medication have you received for GERD? What's worked and what hasn't?