Patient Comments: GERD - Proton Pump Inhibitors

If your GERD symptoms were not relieved by treatment with proton pump inhibitors, did you find other effective treatments?

Published: June 03

I have been treated for GERD for over 5 yrs. This was even though no diagnostic tests really gave a positive diagnosis. However my symptoms were becoming more severe even on my usual acid-reducer prescriptions. My major symptom was some indigestion following every meal or even when my stomach was empty. I really had a sever feeling of pure nausea sometimes linked with some indigestion. Never any real burning sensation or heartburn. Mostly nauseated as though I wanted to throw-up and feel better. I have been living with this 24-7. I had gone off of my Nexium since this started. I went to another Gastroenterologist and tests were repeated. Hooray I finally had a real diagnosis of acid-reflux per radiology with my upper Gi. EGD only showed sm hiatal hernia this time but no Barrets Thank God probably because I had been using photonics, acid-reducers for the last 5 yrs. However my Doc doesn't want to prescribe any of these I am to take Zantac, Pepcid whatever and he now prescribed Compazine for the nausea. I am to try this for a month and come back. What is with this? So I am taking over the counter acid-reducers before 2 of my 3 meals because that is max. Allowed and now a nausea pill Q 8 hrs. PRN for nausea. Please help I continue to be nauseated non-stop. This is worse feeling all the time worse than morning sickness yrs ago when I had my 2 children. I do not understand what to do.

Published: June 02

I was diagnosed with GERD two years ago and put on Nexium. Nexium greatly relieved the problem and I went on maintenance (1 Nexium per day). I began to have spells of serious coughing most of the time resulting in regurgitation. The regurgitation did not contain stomach contents, only a thick clear mucus-like substance. My doctor put me back on 2 Nexium per day and it seemed to control the coughing. However, last night, I had the worst spell I've ever had. I ate late and about 10 minutes after eating I began to cough and my mouth repeated filled with mucus and, this time, stomach contents. I took a Nexium when I got home and the symptoms ceased. To battle GERD and obesity, I am scheduled for a lap band procedure...am wondering if I should have the surgery with this recent development for fear of complications.

Published: June 02

I am witnessing my mother (83 years-old) worsen with a regimen of Aciphex and Reglan. She is now in the hospital in a weakened state and the doctor keeps prescribing this to her while her caretakers observe she has deteriorated as a result. Her symptoms: extreme nausea, extreme weakness, and for the first time in the 16 months since being diagnosed with CHF, mother has said she is dying though all her vitals are good. Her GERD symptoms are difficulty swallowing, coughing and increased mucous.

Published: June 02

I have had several conditions that I have been diagnosed with such as gastroparesis, I.B.S, a hiatal hernia, and G.E.R.D the GERD got so bad that I was puking up acid in the middle of the night and my teeth were suffering for it, I tried everything, but nothing seemed to do me justice, finally my gp doc told me about esophageal fundoplication Nissen I decided to get the surgery and it worked very well, I can not throw up any more but that is a good thing, it hurts when I need to but I am glad I did it over all. Some of you should look into the surgery its amazing. It's also called a stomach wrap around the esophagus.

Published: May 29

I was diagnosed with GERD and Barrett's esophagus about 18 months ago. I had a Nissan fundoplication done and I take Protonix daily, but I still have frequent heartburn and a phlegm problem. As much as the heartburn is uncomfortable it is the phlegm that drives me nuts. It gets caught in my neck and throat so bad that you can visible see swelling. No one could even diagnose this until I went to see an acupuncturist. It is the best relief I have gotten. When I go for treatments about every two weeks I can actually feel the phlegm draining from my throat and neck and fell almost 100% better.

Published: May 29

I have been diagnosed with GERD and have been taking antacids when I need to. Taking medication has not brought me long-term relief. Whatever I ate just gave me pain. Fortunately, I came across AloeCure at CVS one month ago and decided to give it a try. I found it worked almost immediately, and I have not felt any side effects so far.

GERD - Diet Question: What diet and lifestyle changes have you made to improve your GERD and heartburn?
GERD - Causes Question: Do you know what caused your GERD? Please discuss your experience with GERD.
GERD - Complications Question: Did you experience any complications with your GERD? What were they?
GERD - Diagnosis Question: How did your doctors arrive at a diagnosis of GERD?
GERD - Treatment Question: What types of treatment or medication have you receive for GERD? What's worked and what hasn't?