Patient Comments: GERD - Proton Pump Inhibitors

If your GERD symptoms were not relieved by treatment with proton pump inhibitors, did you find other effective treatments?

Published: June 18

Even with treatment of Pepcid Complete and Nexium, I still have uncomfortable burning in my throat. It's bright red and very sore.

Published: June 16

I take Nexium every day sometimes twice a day plus Zantac but nothing seems to work for the discomfort I feel every day even if I don't eat. I have a kind of soreness between the breasts where my hernia is and it sometimes shoots up my chest. I don't know what else to do for this but it is very annoying. Also the bottom of my throat burns 24/7.

Published: June 11

I also had acid reflux until I started doing the vinegar and honey treatment. Apple cider vinegar diluted with a little water and honey, enough to make it taste good, a couple of tablespoons when needed has cured my reflux. Apples help too; the stomach needs this acid and some how it cleared up my problem.

Published: June 11

I have taken all of the medications listed. I am currently on Nexium, Pepcid, and Reglan. I also have a wedge on my bed to help with incline. I still have trouble with acid reflux and the feeling in my throat like something is stuck. I have had two endoscopies and they say everything looks okay. I can't eat past 7pm or it is worse. I am miserable and with all this there is still not much relief. When I swallow it feels like something is in my throat.

Published: June 11

I was diagnosed will GERD 8 years ago. I try to stay away from caffeine, chocolate, peppermint and spicy food. All the foods that I like. Lately I've been experiencing coughing spells. I've been taking cough medicine w/codeine since a bad episode of bronchitis a few months ago. The cough syrup helps but I don't recommend taking it for long periods. I have also tried taking an over the counter digestive pill called Zypan. Usually 1-2 pills after a meal if needed. It seems to do the trick and it's not medication. I believe it is a food enzyme. Carbonated drinks, such as cola creates a real problem. If you can avoid them or have occasionally with the Zypan the problems should subside.

Published: June 09

I've been on three different proton pump inhibitors - i.e.: Prilosec, Aciphex and Prevacid. I am still having symptoms of nausea, cough and vomiting. It there is any other help out there I would appreciate hearing.

Published: June 09

I have been in hospital twice for reflux and taking all medication, but to date I'm still having to much acid build up as I have problems swallowing.

Published: June 09

I still have chest pain and bad heartburn I'm taking 40mg in the morning and 20mg at night of Omeprazole.

Published: June 06

My husband has been having a lot of pain recently with this. He has used Prilosec and Prevacid without much success. Nexium helps, but the costs are prohibitive. He is now taking Prevacid and sucralfate and still having the pain. We're both very frustrated - he is becoming very anxious - given up coffee, chocolate, is nervous about anything he eats. I know he's scared of a pre-cancer and, typically, hates to keep bothering his doctor, etc.

GERD - Diet Question: What diet and lifestyle changes have you made to improve your GERD and heartburn?
GERD - Causes Question: Do you know what caused your GERD? Please discuss your experience with GERD.
GERD - Complications Question: Did you experience any complications with your GERD? What were they?
GERD - Diagnosis Question: How did your doctors arrive at a diagnosis of GERD?
GERD - Treatment Question: What types of treatment or medication have you receive for GERD? What's worked and what hasn't?