Patient Comments: GERD - Proton Pump Inhibitors

If your GERD symptoms were not relieved by treatment with proton pump inhibitors, did you find other effective treatments?

Published: June 23

I used Prilosec for about six months. My symptoms immediately improved; I was instructed to discontinue use. I was symptom-free for about three months, but then I began using Prilosec again for about 12 months with mixed results. I experienced painful nighttime heartburn episodes, which hadn't occurred in the past. I discontinued Prilosec and started 600 mg of Zantac, per my doctor. I've been on that for three years but am now experiencing hair loss, low libido, and profuse sweating.

Published: June 23

I have been suffering from these problems for years. I have had all of the tests and the only thing that has shown up is a hiatal hernia. I have tried Protonix, Aciphex, Nexium and Zegerid. None have relieved the problem. Stress seems to set the really bad episodes into motion; although I seem to have at least one episode a week anyhow. The doctor just put me on Pepcid twice a day and it is having no effect. I am chewing Maalox continuously and trying to decide when to call her back. Sleeping is very difficult and requires a slanted pillow. Even still I wake up most nights nauseous and with dull pain in the middle of my stomach. I'm trying to change my diet as I know I drink too many diet sodas with caffeine. Maybe that will help.

Published: June 18

Even with treatment of Pepcid Complete and Nexium, I still have uncomfortable burning in my throat. It's bright red and very sore.

Published: June 16

I take Nexium every day sometimes twice a day plus Zantac but nothing seems to work for the discomfort I feel every day even if I don't eat. I have a kind of soreness between the breasts where my hernia is and it sometimes shoots up my chest. I don't know what else to do for this but it is very annoying. Also the bottom of my throat burns 24/7.

Published: June 11

I also had acid reflux until I started doing the vinegar and honey treatment. Apple cider vinegar diluted with a little water and honey, enough to make it taste good, a couple of tablespoons when needed has cured my reflux. Apples help too; the stomach needs this acid and some how it cleared up my problem.

Published: June 11

I have taken all of the medications listed. I am currently on Nexium, Pepcid, and Reglan. I also have a wedge on my bed to help with incline. I still have trouble with acid reflux and the feeling in my throat like something is stuck. I have had two endoscopies and they say everything looks okay. I can't eat past 7pm or it is worse. I am miserable and with all this there is still not much relief. When I swallow it feels like something is in my throat.

Published: June 11

I was diagnosed will GERD 8 years ago. I try to stay away from caffeine, chocolate, peppermint and spicy food. All the foods that I like. Lately I've been experiencing coughing spells. I've been taking cough medicine w/codeine since a bad episode of bronchitis a few months ago. The cough syrup helps but I don't recommend taking it for long periods. I have also tried taking an over the counter digestive pill called Zypan. Usually 1-2 pills after a meal if needed. It seems to do the trick and it's not medication. I believe it is a food enzyme. Carbonated drinks, such as cola creates a real problem. If you can avoid them or have occasionally with the Zypan the problems should subside.

Published: June 09

I've been on three different proton pump inhibitors - i.e.: Prilosec, Aciphex and Prevacid. I am still having symptoms of nausea, cough and vomiting. It there is any other help out there I would appreciate hearing.

GERD - Diet Question: What diet and lifestyle changes have you made to improve your GERD and heartburn?
GERD - Causes Question: Do you know what caused your GERD? Please discuss your experience with GERD.
GERD - Complications Question: Did you experience any complications with your GERD? What were they?
GERD - Diagnosis Question: How did your doctors arrive at a diagnosis of GERD?
GERD - Treatment Question: What types of treatment or medication have you received for GERD? What's worked and what hasn't?