Patient Comments: GERD - Proton Pump Inhibitors

If your GERD symptoms were not relieved by treatment with proton pump inhibitors, did you find other effective treatments?

Published: May 30

About 10 years ago, I was diagnosed with a large hiatal hernia after being hospitalized with dehydration because I couldn't keep anything in my stomach. When I recovered everything was fine with some occasional heartburn. The about 3-4 years ago I developed a chronic cough which I thought was due to post-nasal drip -- however the ENT doctor could find nothing with the sinuses, so when I told him of the hiatal hernia, be had me try Nexium. After two weeks, the cough was gone. He told me to try coming off the Nexium after about 8 weeks. I did and within 2 months the cough was back bad as ever. I went back on the Nexium, but this time it took about 1-1/2 months before it seemed to work. It's now usually enough to take Nexium in the morning 1/2 hour before meals - however, whenever I get a cold or allergy symptoms, it seems to aggravate the the ARD again and I'm coughing long after the cold is gone. Sometimes the addition of Gavison to my day starting with Nexium helps until the rekindled ARD is under control again. Sometimes it doesn't work - like now. I think I will try the gum chewing route/the ginger and see if that works.

Published: June 23

I used Prilosec for about six months. My symptoms immediately improved; I was instructed to discontinue use. I was symptom-free for about three months, but then I began using Prilosec again for about 12 months with mixed results. I experienced painful nighttime heartburn episodes, which hadn't occurred in the past. I discontinued Prilosec and started 600 mg of Zantac, per my doctor. I've been on that for three years but am now experiencing hair loss, low libido, and profuse sweating.

Published: May 29

I have been taking Zegerid for the past four months. I also have recently finished treatment for H. pylori. I have noticed less stomach pain and less vomiting/nausea since beginning treatment. The frequency of belching after meals has decreased, but I am still affected by certain foods. The abdominal gas has increased and is accompanied by alternating diarrhea and constipation.

Published: June 23

I have been suffering from these problems for years. I have had all of the tests and the only thing that has shown up is a hiatal hernia. I have tried Protonix, Aciphex, Nexium and Zegerid. None have relieved the problem. Stress seems to set the really bad episodes into motion; although I seem to have at least one episode a week anyhow. The doctor just put me on Pepcid twice a day and it is having no effect. I am chewing Maalox continuously and trying to decide when to call her back. Sleeping is very difficult and requires a slanted pillow. Even still I wake up most nights nauseous and with dull pain in the middle of my stomach. I'm trying to change my diet as I know I drink too many diet sodas with caffeine. Maybe that will help.

Published: June 18

Even with treatment of Pepcid Complete and Nexium, I still have uncomfortable burning in my throat. It's bright red and very sore.

Published: June 16

I take Nexium every day sometimes twice a day plus Zantac but nothing seems to work for the discomfort I feel every day even if I don't eat. I have a kind of soreness between the breasts where my hernia is and it sometimes shoots up my chest. I don't know what else to do for this but it is very annoying. Also the bottom of my throat burns 24/7.

Published: June 11

I also had acid reflux until I started doing the vinegar and honey treatment. Apple cider vinegar diluted with a little water and honey, enough to make it taste good, a couple of tablespoons when needed has cured my reflux. Apples help too; the stomach needs this acid and some how it cleared up my problem.

GERD - Diet Question: What diet and lifestyle changes have you made to improve your GERD and heartburn?
GERD - Causes Question: Do you know what caused your GERD? Please discuss your experience with GERD.
GERD - Complications Question: Did you experience any complications with your GERD? What were they?
GERD - Diagnosis Question: How did your doctors arrive at a diagnosis of GERD?
GERD - Treatment Question: What types of treatment or medication have you received for GERD? What's worked and what hasn't?