Patient Comments: GERD - Proton Pump Inhibitors

If your GERD symptoms were not relieved by treatment with proton pump inhibitors, did you find other effective treatments?

Published: April 14

I was diagnosed with GERD and hiatal hernia two months ago. I tried proton pump inhibitors but got no relief. The only thing that has given me relief is slippery elm powder.

Published: April 13

Dried papaya spears work wonderfully! I used to take Prilosec, then Nexium, then Aciphex. They all stopped working after awhile and gave me other problems besides GERD. I then took Rolaids soft chews at the first sign of heartburn, which seemed to really help except they made me nauseous. Someone suggested eating dried papaya spears when I have a sour stomach and heartburn. I thought, "well' it can't hurt." To my amazement it worked just as fast as any antacid without any of the nausea, etc. I now keep them by my bedside. You can find them in any health food store.

Published: April 13

I've been taking Prilosec for awhile and it helps some. However, I seem to want to belch but can't most of time. I've been nauseated for four days now and it leaves for a short time, I feel bad. I've also had gas, which I have never had before. I'd like to know if it is normal to feel nauseated.

Published: April 11

My symptoms are like burning skin. It starts at my upper stomach and runs up to my neck. My upper stomach becomes bloated and I look six months pregnant at times! I have been taking Prilosec to no avail.

Published: April 10

Relating to Comment [dated April 9]. Go to your doctor immediately - symptoms of someone sitting on your chest, can't clear throat, gurgling sound in the esophagus = heart attack - just went through that with my husband - congestive heart failure!!!!

Published: April 09

I have had GERD for several years and taken several proton pump inhibitors with little relief. I have had several diagnostic tests done, including the esophageal manometry which showed that my lower sphincter was not making the full contraction. The gastroenterologist I saw wanted me to take the drug Reglan, but after consulting my primary I decided not to take metoclopramide (Reglan) due to my history of depression and the Parkinson-like symptoms that can result. I continue to have symptoms in my chest, feeling of something sitting in my chest and I can feel and hear a gurgling noise in my esophagus which is loud enough for others to hear. I also have excessive phlegm in my through which requires constant clearing and makes me voice hoarse as well.

Published: April 08

I have been on lansoprazole (Prevacid) for about one year, when was diagnosed with GERD. I still have problems, I feel if something is stuck in my throat. I cannot cough it up and sometimes when I bend over I feel as if I am going to vomit, sometimes I do. I do not have any heartburn symptoms or burning sensations in my chest. Sometimes I think it is post-nasal drip. I do have bad sinus problems. I keep having to clear my nose a lot which goes down my throat. I do not know what else it could be. I just had a double mastectomy back in Dec 2007 and I am schedule for my second surgery on May 8, 2008

Published: April 07

I am currently taking Prevpac. It is for helicobacter pylori and GERD. It doesn't seem to be working to keep the acid down. I experience heartburn with vibrations somewhere inside my body in between treatment. I sometimes have to take Mylanta or some other form of antacid.

Published: April 04

My mother (71 years old) was diagnosed with GERD, h-pylori and esophagitis last December 2007 via endoscopy. She has been taking Prilosec and some of the symptoms have gone away - for example. bloating, fullness; however some symptoms are still there such as excessive belching. A new symptom that started after a bad cold in October 2007 is having coughing/choking episodes and bringing up foamy and someone thick saliva. These episodes occur every morning upon waking and sometimes after meals. She is now taking 40mgs of Prilosec twice a day and Zyrtec-D twice a day, but no relief from the episodes.

GERD - Diet Question: What diet and lifestyle changes have you made to improve your GERD and heartburn?
GERD - Causes Question: Do you know what caused your GERD? Please discuss your experience with GERD.
GERD - Complications Question: Did you experience any complications with your GERD? What were they?
GERD - Diagnosis Question: How did your doctors arrive at a diagnosis of GERD?
GERD - Treatment Question: What types of treatment or medication have you received for GERD? What's worked and what hasn't?