Patient Comments: GERD - Proton Pump Inhibitors

If your GERD symptoms were not relieved by treatment with proton pump inhibitors, did you find other effective treatments?

Published: April 11

My symptoms are like burning skin. It starts at my upper stomach and runs up to my neck. My upper stomach becomes bloated and I look six months pregnant at times! I have been taking Prilosec to no avail.

Published: April 10

Relating to Comment [dated April 9]. Go to your doctor immediately - symptoms of someone sitting on your chest, can't clear throat, gurgling sound in the esophagus = heart attack - just went through that with my husband - congestive heart failure!!!!

Published: April 09

I have had GERD for several years and taken several proton pump inhibitors with little relief. I have had several diagnostic tests done, including the esophageal manometry which showed that my lower sphincter was not making the full contraction. The gastroenterologist I saw wanted me to take the drug Reglan, but after consulting my primary I decided not to take metoclopramide (Reglan) due to my history of depression and the Parkinson-like symptoms that can result. I continue to have symptoms in my chest, feeling of something sitting in my chest and I can feel and hear a gurgling noise in my esophagus which is loud enough for others to hear. I also have excessive phlegm in my through which requires constant clearing and makes me voice hoarse as well.

Published: April 08

I have been on lansoprazole (Prevacid) for about one year, when was diagnosed with GERD. I still have problems, I feel if something is stuck in my throat. I cannot cough it up and sometimes when I bend over I feel as if I am going to vomit, sometimes I do. I do not have any heartburn symptoms or burning sensations in my chest. Sometimes I think it is post-nasal drip. I do have bad sinus problems. I keep having to clear my nose a lot which goes down my throat. I do not know what else it could be. I just had a double mastectomy back in Dec 2007 and I am schedule for my second surgery on May 8, 2008

Published: April 07

I am currently taking Prevpac. It is for helicobacter pylori and GERD. It doesn't seem to be working to keep the acid down. I experience heartburn with vibrations somewhere inside my body in between treatment. I sometimes have to take Mylanta or some other form of antacid.

Published: April 04

My mother (71 years old) was diagnosed with GERD, h-pylori and esophagitis last December 2007 via endoscopy. She has been taking Prilosec and some of the symptoms have gone away - for example. bloating, fullness; however some symptoms are still there such as excessive belching. A new symptom that started after a bad cold in October 2007 is having coughing/choking episodes and bringing up foamy and someone thick saliva. These episodes occur every morning upon waking and sometimes after meals. She is now taking 40mgs of Prilosec twice a day and Zyrtec-D twice a day, but no relief from the episodes.

Published: April 03

I know that I have GERD, I have had three endoscopies over the years. I have had long periods of PPI's. There is one symptom that in the last 5 years (about) I have had. Very infrequently I have what seems like a very scary and painful contraction type pain of my throat, this is the one thing that seems not to have improved with PPI's. It happens at any time but mostly at night and can wake me instantly. I sit up and slowly sip water until the painful contraction subsides. It is a spasm of some sort and it frightens me. I have all the more normal symptoms of acid reflux and know that it will always be down to management. I am OK with all of that but worried about these infrequent and unpredictable spasms.

Published: April 01

I have reflux in the middle of the night which wakes me up. I do not have any symptoms during the day. I am taking Prilosec OTC 40 mg in the morning 30 minutes before a meal.

GERD - Diet Question: What diet and lifestyle changes have you made to improve your GERD and heartburn?
GERD - Causes Question: Do you know what caused your GERD? Please discuss your experience with GERD.
GERD - Complications Question: Did you experience any complications with your GERD? What were they?
GERD - Diagnosis Question: How did your doctors arrive at a diagnosis of GERD?
GERD - Treatment Question: What types of treatment or medication have you received for GERD? What's worked and what hasn't?