Patient Comments: GERD - Proton Pump Inhibitors

If your GERD symptoms were not relieved by treatment with proton pump inhibitors, did you find other effective treatments?

Published: April 16

What I do to help control my acid reflux is, eat some crackers, common anti-acids, and ginger ale seems to help. The only problem with the anti-acids is, its makes me feel full and the effects only last a short time. I've gotten 2 "attacks" in 2 years. It feels like my upper stomach was just stabbed, and after a bit, my chest starts to hurt. When its gets really really bad, the only thing I can do is throw up to get rid of the acid, then take some Pepto Bismol, and it helps awhile. Because after an "attack" the spot will be really sore for a few days.

Published: April 16

I have hade reflux problems for 30 years and the medications work well for the heartburn problem but when I started coughing up stuff that I ate the day before, that explained why I have had pneumonia about 30 times. I am considering surgery because I am afraid that the next time I wake-up choking on dinner may be the last. It seams like the doctors want to treat problems and I am spending my life treating too many problems I wish they would just cure something ............anything!

Published: April 15

My symptoms have just recently started and amount to feeling like a knife is in my throat and burning pain in my upper chest. I am currently on Prevacid but have not been diagnosed.

Published: April 15

My husband has been complaining about upper back pain and a lump in the throat. He describes it as similar to having swallowed an egg as whole and having it stuck in your esophagus. He got himself admitted in hospital last week and underwent MRI tests and endoscopic tests. MRI didn't show anything wrong with him. Endoscopic tests showed he has ulcer in his esophagus. He also vomited last night. The doctors are unable to diagnose him at the moment. He was given an injection to his spine (to relive the upper back pain) and is asking to undergo physiotherapy.

Published: April 15

To April 3 I know what you are talking about with the spasms in your throat. That is the sensation that caused my last 4 years of being tested with every test imaginable. I too have acid reflux. Is is very mild. The spasms come out of nowhere and are very scary. I believe it is either a crossing of the vocal cords or vocal cord dysfunction. I keep investigating. Good Luck and check them out.

Published: April 14

I am taking the Prilosec and Zantac but they have not lessened the knot I feel just at the base of my breast bone, right dead center. It constantly feels like I need to burp. It has not gone away and causes pain in my upper chest area and pain across my shoulder blades. To date I have not tried any other treatment.

Published: April 14

I was diagnosed with GERD and hiatal hernia two months ago. I tried proton pump inhibitors but got no relief. The only thing that has given me relief is slippery elm powder.

Published: April 13

Dried papaya spears work wonderfully! I used to take Prilosec, then Nexium, then Aciphex. They all stopped working after awhile and gave me other problems besides GERD. I then took Rolaids soft chews at the first sign of heartburn, which seemed to really help except they made me nauseous. Someone suggested eating dried papaya spears when I have a sour stomach and heartburn. I thought, "well' it can't hurt." To my amazement it worked just as fast as any antacid without any of the nausea, etc. I now keep them by my bedside. You can find them in any health food store.

Published: April 13

I've been taking Prilosec for awhile and it helps some. However, I seem to want to belch but can't most of time. I've been nauseated for four days now and it leaves for a short time, I feel bad. I've also had gas, which I have never had before. I'd like to know if it is normal to feel nauseated.

GERD - Diet Question: What diet and lifestyle changes have you made to improve your GERD and heartburn?
GERD - Causes Question: Do you know what caused your GERD? Please discuss your experience with GERD.
GERD - Complications Question: Did you experience any complications with your GERD? What were they?
GERD - Diagnosis Question: How did your doctors arrive at a diagnosis of GERD?
GERD - Treatment Question: What types of treatment or medication have you received for GERD? What's worked and what hasn't?