Patient Comments: GERD - Proton Pump Inhibitors

If your GERD symptoms were not relieved by treatment with proton pump inhibitors, did you find other effective treatments?

Published: April 21

I often wake up with extreme pain the mid chest which comes on suddenly at night. This wakes me up and I run to the bathroom to swallow a cup of warm or hot water which quickly stops the pain. This can recur more then once a night. I began taking Prevacid regularly for about a month, then I thought maybe I didn't need to take it everyday and stopped. Immediately the pain returned at night and also a nagging pain during the day (which may or may not be related) so I've resumed the Prevacid.

Published: April 18

l have just returned home from the ER with severe pain in my chest back neck and left arm. l was told l had GERD in October of 07, but never had this much pain like today. It felt like a heart attack. l was on Nexium for a while, but it never helped. Thank god they said all the tests came back negative for any heart problems and prescribed Prevacid. I'm still not feeling well. Does anyone have these GERD symptoms?

Published: April 17

My nausea has not improved at all with Nexium.

Published: April 16

What I do to help control my acid reflux is, eat some crackers, common anti-acids, and ginger ale seems to help. The only problem with the anti-acids is, its makes me feel full and the effects only last a short time. I've gotten 2 "attacks" in 2 years. It feels like my upper stomach was just stabbed, and after a bit, my chest starts to hurt. When its gets really really bad, the only thing I can do is throw up to get rid of the acid, then take some Pepto Bismol, and it helps awhile. Because after an "attack" the spot will be really sore for a few days.

Published: April 16

I have hade reflux problems for 30 years and the medications work well for the heartburn problem but when I started coughing up stuff that I ate the day before, that explained why I have had pneumonia about 30 times. I am considering surgery because I am afraid that the next time I wake-up choking on dinner may be the last. It seams like the doctors want to treat problems and I am spending my life treating too many problems I wish they would just cure something ............anything!

Published: April 15

My symptoms have just recently started and amount to feeling like a knife is in my throat and burning pain in my upper chest. I am currently on Prevacid but have not been diagnosed.

Published: April 15

My husband has been complaining about upper back pain and a lump in the throat. He describes it as similar to having swallowed an egg as whole and having it stuck in your esophagus. He got himself admitted in hospital last week and underwent MRI tests and endoscopic tests. MRI didn't show anything wrong with him. Endoscopic tests showed he has ulcer in his esophagus. He also vomited last night. The doctors are unable to diagnose him at the moment. He was given an injection to his spine (to relive the upper back pain) and is asking to undergo physiotherapy.

Published: April 15

To April 3 I know what you are talking about with the spasms in your throat. That is the sensation that caused my last 4 years of being tested with every test imaginable. I too have acid reflux. Is is very mild. The spasms come out of nowhere and are very scary. I believe it is either a crossing of the vocal cords or vocal cord dysfunction. I keep investigating. Good Luck and check them out.

Published: April 14

I am taking the Prilosec and Zantac but they have not lessened the knot I feel just at the base of my breast bone, right dead center. It constantly feels like I need to burp. It has not gone away and causes pain in my upper chest area and pain across my shoulder blades. To date I have not tried any other treatment.

GERD - Diet Question: What diet and lifestyle changes have you made to improve your GERD and heartburn?
GERD - Causes Question: Do you know what caused your GERD? Please discuss your experience with GERD.
GERD - Complications Question: Did you experience any complications with your GERD? What were they?
GERD - Diagnosis Question: How did your doctors arrive at a diagnosis of GERD?
GERD - Treatment Question: What types of treatment or medication have you received for GERD? What's worked and what hasn't?