Patient Comments: GERD - Causes

Do you know what caused your GERD? Please discuss your experience with GERD.

Comment from: Meriban, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: August 12

I have had GERD all of my life, as far back as I can remember. I just ate Tums or drank milk or baking soda. About 16 years ago I went to doctor who scoped me for a hernia, but he found none. So he put me on omeprazole. I have been taking that since. Four years ago, I was diagnosed with oropharyngeal squamous cell carcinoma and had an operation where they did a neck resection, took out my tonsil and cut out the cancer in the soft palate. So far, NED (no evidence of disease). Just over a year ago I heard a gastrointestinal naturopathic doctor advertising. So, I went to see her. She did an exam and asked me all kinds of questions. She said she would start off with a blood allergy test. I got the results and It turns out I was allergic to 63 different foods, dairy, some legumes, turkey, wheat and gluten. She put some good bacteria back into my gut and I have been on a diet of no allergens for over a year. It is like night and day with me. My GERD is not cured however, it is so much improved. I had no idea I had all those allergies. Now, if I eat any of them it is almost instantaneously felt.

Comment from: Alison1114, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: November 06

My GERD is caused by pregnancy, and took 5 months to diagnose. During those months, I endured severe pain, and they discovered it also caused ulcers. It is now controlled with Protonix 40 mg. Before this, we tried Zantac and Pepcid, with no relief of symptoms. Protonix is my god-send and alleviated all symptoms within 3 to 5 days' time.

Comment from: Jan, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: March 26

I have valley fever from being in Phoenix... possibly causing the GERD from medications to relieve its symptoms.

Comment from: Nancycatxx, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 21

I have not talked to the doctor about this yet. But I have COPD and I use rescue inhaler and take a lung opening medication two times a day as well. From what I"ve read, the rescue inhaler could be the cause of my stomach problems, or what I believe to be GERD.

Comment from: maky59, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 30

I believe that my GERD is due to an underlying rare blood disease. Patients with polycythemia vera have high levels of histamine. I am taking a newer PPI (proton pump inhibitor) drug called Dexilant DR. It is 60mg and long acting.

Comment from: ArmyCSM, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: September 25

I have IBS and extensive diverticulosis throughout my entire colon. My IBS symptoms began with almost constant diarrhea. Anywhere from one to three hours after eating, my bowels would suddenly fill up with liquid. I would have to hold it until a bathroom was available. Often I would feel a backwards release of the pressure upwards into my stomach. I had almost constant bloating, distention, and intraluminal pressure. I believe this is what caused my GERD. My Barrett's and Schatzki's Ring have been temporarily resolved and the GERD is controlled with 80mg of Omeprazole daily.

GERD - Proton Pump Inhibitors Question: If your GERD symptoms were not relieved by treatment with proton pump inhibitors, did you find other effective treatments?
GERD - Diet Question: What diet and lifestyle changes have you made to improve your GERD and heartburn?
GERD - Complications Question: Did you experience any complications with your GERD? What were they?
GERD - Diagnosis Question: How did your doctors arrive at a diagnosis of GERD?
GERD - Treatment Question: What types of treatment or medication have you received for GERD? What's worked and what hasn't?