Patient Comments: GERD - Causes

Do you know what caused your GERD? Please discuss your experience with GERD.

Comment from: Jan, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: March 26

I have valley fever from being in Phoenix... possibly causing the GERD from medications to relieve its symptoms.

Comment from: Nancycatxx, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 21

I have not talked to the doctor about this yet. But I have COPD and I use rescue inhaler and take a lung opening medication two times a day as well. From what I"ve read, the rescue inhaler could be the cause of my stomach problems, or what I believe to be GERD.

Comment from: maky59, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 30

I believe that my GERD is due to an underlying rare blood disease. Patients with polycythemia vera have high levels of histamine. I am taking a newer PPI (proton pump inhibitor) drug called Dexilant DR. It is 60mg and long acting.

Comment from: ArmyCSM, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: September 25

I have IBS and extensive diverticulosis throughout my entire colon. My IBS symptoms began with almost constant diarrhea. Anywhere from one to three hours after eating, my bowels would suddenly fill up with liquid. I would have to hold it until a bathroom was available. Often I would feel a backwards release of the pressure upwards into my stomach. I had almost constant bloating, distention, and intraluminal pressure. I believe this is what caused my GERD. My Barrett's and Schatzki's Ring have been temporarily resolved and the GERD is controlled with 80mg of Omeprazole daily.

GERD - Proton Pump Inhibitors Question: If your GERD symptoms were not relieved by treatment with proton pump inhibitors, did you find other effective treatments?
GERD - Diet Question: What diet and lifestyle changes have you made to improve your GERD and heartburn?
GERD - Complications Question: Did you experience any complications with your GERD? What were they?
GERD - Diagnosis Question: How did your doctors arrive at a diagnosis of GERD?
GERD - Treatment Question: What types of treatment or medication have you received for GERD? What's worked and what hasn't?