Patient Comments: Gastroenteritis (Stomach Flu) - Diagnosis

How was your gastroenteritis (stomach flu) diagnosed?

Comment from: =), 19-24 Male (Caregiver) Published: December 07

I work as an RN and 2 days ago I was taking care of a person with symptoms of gastroenteritis. I did my best to wash my hands every time I get out of that person's room. But about 24-36 hours later I started to feel nauseous and had a couple watery BMs. I knew right away that I have gastroenteritis. Luckily I'm off for 3 days and I'm treating myself with lots of Gatorade, forcing myself to drink more than what I put-out. Fellow RNs told me to go to the ED, but I refused coz first hospitalization costs a lot and I'm sure gastroenteritis can be treated at home as long as you can tolerate to take fluids by mouth. The best thing I or we can do is stay well-hydrated. But if you're having severe nausea/vomiting and can't tolerate to take fluids by mouth, you may need medical intervention and get rapid hydration through an IV (replacing fluids and electrolytes through a vein). ALWAYS WASH YOUR HANDS!!! And meditation can help a lot with the nausea. Take care!!!

Comment from: 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: May 21

I got sick Wednesday night, vomiting and diarrhea. I slept all day Thursday, still vomiting and throwing up, Friday felt a little better then it hit again. Saturday I started drinking Gatorade and now I feel a lot better. Every day while I was sick I took a dose of vitamin C. I think it helped a little. This stomach flu is horrible and it lasts at least 4 to 5 days. I think if I would"ve started on Gatorade sooner it would"ve been a lot better.

Comment from: cinderella, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 30

Stomach pains were the worst. I had headaches and burning up but not running a fever. I left work early on Tuesday and missed next 3 days with aches, pains and headaches. It is weekend now, I ate very little. Sunday I woke up puking and had many trips to the toilet not knowing if I needed to sit or stand. I'm feeling horrible!

Comment from: hydi, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 23

My gastroenteritis symptoms started on Monday with super severe watery stools. I thought I had eaten something bad. On Tuesday it continued and vomit came along. I went to the clinic on Tuesday night where I was diagnosed with "stomach flu." Wednesday was the worse day, vomiting and toilet trips all day long. I also experienced a severe headache all day which could be from lack of food or a side effect of the medicine that was prescribed to me. Thursday I finally felt better and began to eat, and then threw up again. I feel like there is no end in sight, and this is so miserable! Good luck to all of you who are experiencing this!

Comment from: DMH, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 26

I'm still getting tested for more detailed diagnoses than gastroenteritis. But, my symptoms started with severe headaches, fever and diarrhea lasting eight days. Today is day 10 and I still have symptoms. No other person in my home has the same. Appendicitis and pancreatitis have been ruled out.

Comment from: Vi, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: September 07

On Thursday evening after dinner I laid down on the sofa feeling very fatigued. After a couple of hours I woke up with abdominal pains when suddenly I rushed to a bowl in the kitchen and threw up uncontrollably. My stomach pains continued followed by cold chills. I went to bed thinking I'd feel better when throughout the night I was awakened by more abdominal pains and I continued vomiting throughout the night. Based on my symptoms, I was convinced I had the stomach flu since I had it in the past. The next morning I went into work thinking I was feeling better and that it was only a 24 hour flu. Big mistake! I had no energy, no appetite and my stomach pains continued (almost like someone had punched me in the stomach a hundred times!). I left work early and went straight to bed at two in the afternoon. I slept until 10:30 the next morning. I felt a little better but my abdominal pains didn't disappear until day 4.

Gastroenteritis - Symptoms Question: What symptoms did you have with gastroenteritis (stomach flu)?
Gastroenteritis - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with gastroenteritis (stomach flu).
Gastroenteritis - Cause Question: Do you know what virus, bacteria, or parasite caused your case of gastroenteritis (cruise ship, traveling by plane, traveling to another country, from a family member or friend?)
Gastroenteritis - Treatment Question: What treatments were effective for your case of gastroenteritis?
Gastroenteritis - Call for Medical Help Question: Did you have to call your doctor to treat your case of gastroenteritis?
Gastroenteritis - Complications Question: Please describe the complications you suffered due to gastroenteritis.
Gastroenteritis - Diagnosed Question: How was your case of gastroenteritis diagnosed?