Patient Comments: Gastroenteritis - Diagnosed

How was your case of gastroenteritis diagnosed?

A Doctor's View on A Doctor's View on Gastroenteritis Diagnosis

Read the Comment by John P. Cunha, DO, FACOEP

Gastroenteritis or sometimes referred to as the stomach flu is caused by viruses or bacteria. If you have gastroenteritis accompanied by fever, blood in the stool, or dehydration tests may be ordered to confirm the diagnosis. There are also a variety of diseases that can have similar symptoms of gastroenteritis such as IBD, IBS, colon cancer, and gastritis. Read the entire Doctor's View

Comment from: Firefly427, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: February 26

My gastroenteritis started off with having no appetite and feeling very bloated. As I suffer from IBS-C (irritable bowel syndrome with constipation) I thought it was that flaring up. After 2 days of feeling weak, bloated and no appetite, that evening I woke up writhing around in sweat in the worst pain ever due to serious stomach cramps. I crawled to the bathroom and laid on the floor as I was so light headed. I then threw up a chicken noodle soup I had eaten the previous night. Then the diarrhea started and stayed for 4 days along with horrific constant stomach cramps, headaches, chills, anxiety, light headedness and severe weakness. I know I am dehydrated and I am trying to sip water and Lucozade. On day 5 now, I still have severe stomach cramps and just a few sips of water bloats me up like a whale. This is the most distressing illness I have ever suffered from, including actual flu and I hope it will go away soon. No idea where I caught it from either, which doesn't help as it's making me nervous of everything I have done or eaten over the past 2 weeks!

Comment from: 65-74 (Patient) Published: May 30

Having been born with it in England, 14 other children died from gastroenteritis. I was fed through tubes for over 6 months. Only 2 of us lived out of 16 (I had to be revived once). I am not partial to food. I often have an upset stomach. Fast foods really make me sick, even the smell of it. My husband thought it was all in my head, from a past food poisoning. I eat breakfast and supper after work. I do not snack. I constantly feel bloated, for as long as I can remember! Doctors have never offered any relief. I am extremely sensitive to any pain pills (vomiting). Therefore, they tell me there is nothing they can do for me. Recently, I began taking probiotics. Some relief, very little.

Comment from: 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: November 04

Mine started the same day (pretty sure it was something I ate). I didn't vomit a lot, maybe twice the first the night, but I felt lightheaded and dizzy, I went to the urgent care the same night thinking I had food poisoning. They gave me medicine for my nausea. Day 2 I worked and felt fine, just no appetite. Day 3 I worked, but left early feeling weak and bothered. Then things got bad, I was dizzy, had weird head tingles (numbness feeling) and went to the ER. I had an IV to rehydrate myself, and they told me I had gastroenteritis, everyday for up to a week (still a bit sick now) I've felt weak, tired, no appetite, groggy and my anxiety is horrible. I've been sticking to the BRAT diet, water, and Gatorade. I'm going to my doctor again soon to check up. I'm not nauseous or having diarrhea, but my body feels weak probably from not eating hardly. Hope this helps, feel better if you're reading this, I know it's hard to deal with!

Comment from: Sherry, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 04

For me, when I woke up yesterday morning, I was having a bad headache and abdominal cramps. I went to work anyway, and had very watery diarrhea at around 8 am. Later on in the day, I vomited a total of three times. The vomit was mostly very watery, and the third time I vomited, the vomit was greenish in color. I went to a family doctor in the afternoon and was diagnosed with stomach flu. I also had a fever at around evening. For all of you going through this right now, my doctor gave me the following advice that may aid faster recovery: 1. Don't gulp your water as you will tend to throw up more often that way. To prevent dehydration, take frequent sips of water. 2. Eat dry foods and avoid soupy foods such as noodle soup. I know these are what you usually eat when you are sick, but it doesn't help if you have stomach flu. Foods such as bread slices (with jam or butter) are fine. 3. If you are not hungry/have a poor appetite, try to keep your stomach empty as you will recover faster that way.

Comment from: 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: November 04

I am also going through this awesome stomach flu/ gastroenteritis. Mine started on a Sunday night and it hit very sudden with vomiting. The next day the vomiting stopped but the diarrhea began and I had the worst stomach cramps ever. I was so upset with how bad I was feeling and decided to go to a clinic where the doctor diagnosed me with gastroenteritis. I am now able to eat the foods I normally do and I make sure to drink as many fluids as possible however it is now Friday and I am still having trouble with the diarrhea. It is very little and very watery but it hits so fast and it is super annoying. I am just ready for this to go away. For everyone going through this hang in there and keep strong because as we all know it sucks terribly!

Gastroenteritis - Symptoms Question: What symptoms did you have with gastroenteritis (stomach flu)?
Gastroenteritis - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with gastroenteritis (stomach flu).
Gastroenteritis - Cause Question: Do you know what virus, bacteria, or parasite caused your case of gastroenteritis (cruise ship, traveling by plane, traveling to another country, from a family member or friend?)
Gastroenteritis - Treatment Question: What treatments were effective for your case of gastroenteritis?
Gastroenteritis - Call for Medical Help Question: Did you have to call your doctor to treat your case of gastroenteritis?
Gastroenteritis - Complications Question: Please describe the complications you suffered due to gastroenteritis.