Patient Comments: Gastroenteritis - Diagnosed

How was your case of gastroenteritis diagnosed?

A Doctor's View on A Doctor's View on Gastroenteritis Diagnosis

Read the Comment by John P. Cunha, DO, FACOEP

Gastroenteritis or sometimes referred to as the stomach flu is caused by viruses or bacteria. If you have gastroenteritis accompanied by fever, blood in the stool, or dehydration tests may be ordered to confirm the diagnosis. There are also a variety of diseases that can have similar symptoms of gastroenteritis such as IBD, IBS, colon cancer, and gastritis. Read the entire Doctor's View

Comment from: 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: November 04

Mine started the same day (pretty sure it was something I ate). I didn't vomit a lot, maybe twice the first the night, but I felt lightheaded and dizzy, I went to the urgent care the same night thinking I had food poisoning. They gave me medicine for my nausea. Day 2 I worked and felt fine, just no appetite. Day 3 I worked, but left early feeling weak and bothered. Then things got bad, I was dizzy, had weird head tingles (numbness feeling) and went to the ER. I had an IV to rehydrate myself, and they told me I had gastroenteritis, everyday for up to a week (still a bit sick now) I've felt weak, tired, no appetite, groggy and my anxiety is horrible. I've been sticking to the BRAT diet, water, and Gatorade. I'm going to my doctor again soon to check up. I'm not nauseous or having diarrhea, but my body feels weak probably from not eating hardly. Hope this helps, feel better if you're reading this, I know it's hard to deal with!

Comment from: Sherry, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 04

For me, when I woke up yesterday morning, I was having a bad headache and abdominal cramps. I went to work anyway, and had very watery diarrhea at around 8 am. Later on in the day, I vomited a total of three times. The vomit was mostly very watery, and the third time I vomited, the vomit was greenish in color. I went to a family doctor in the afternoon and was diagnosed with stomach flu. I also had a fever at around evening. For all of you going through this right now, my doctor gave me the following advice that may aid faster recovery: 1. Don't gulp your water as you will tend to throw up more often that way. To prevent dehydration, take frequent sips of water. 2. Eat dry foods and avoid soupy foods such as noodle soup. I know these are what you usually eat when you are sick, but it doesn't help if you have stomach flu. Foods such as bread slices (with jam or butter) are fine. 3. If you are not hungry/have a poor appetite, try to keep your stomach empty as you will recover faster that way.

Comment from: 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: November 04

I am also going through this awesome stomach flu/ gastroenteritis. Mine started on a Sunday night and it hit very sudden with vomiting. The next day the vomiting stopped but the diarrhea began and I had the worst stomach cramps ever. I was so upset with how bad I was feeling and decided to go to a clinic where the doctor diagnosed me with gastroenteritis. I am now able to eat the foods I normally do and I make sure to drink as many fluids as possible however it is now Friday and I am still having trouble with the diarrhea. It is very little and very watery but it hits so fast and it is super annoying. I am just ready for this to go away. For everyone going through this hang in there and keep strong because as we all know it sucks terribly!

Comment from: emily, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: November 04

It was diagnosed by the hospital doctor I woke up one morning feeling tired more tired than usual, then out of nowhere I had diarrhea, I wasn't hungry but I still ate. Next day I had more diarrhea, by now I couldn't eat much as I had the worst stomach ache ever and every time I'd eat something it would shoot sharp pains through my stomach. Next morning I woke up with even worse diarrhea and I felt very faint and dizzy so my mom took me to the hospital, they took one look at me and admitted me for severe dehydration, they did some tests and said I had gastroenteritis and not to eat solids only clear liquids for 48 hours, I went home that night, the diarrhea got WORSE, to the point where I was going every 5 minutes and it was lime green and a very small amount each time, went to bed, woke up at 5 am feeling nauseous went downstairs to take gravol, then an hour later I threw up, the diarrhea continued for another day , then the next night I threw up again, It was all stomach contents, no food what so ever, after that the diarrhea slowed down and I got better, It took a while I was SO weak, I couldn't stand up without falling.

Comment from: bob, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: November 04

I got gastroenteritis on a cruise ship (I won't mention the name). I went to the ships doctor and he just told me to stay in my room and away from other people. I had horrible diarrhea and vomiting. When I got home I still had the diarrhea and vomiting so I went to my doctor, he did a stool sample, and it was Norovirus. I'm not sure how many of those other people on that ship were sick, but it was certainly no "vacation."

Gastroenteritis - Symptoms Question: What symptoms did you have with gastroenteritis (stomach flu)?
Gastroenteritis - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with gastroenteritis (stomach flu).
Gastroenteritis - Cause Question: Do you know what virus, bacteria, or parasite caused your case of gastroenteritis (cruise ship, traveling by plane, traveling to another country, from a family member or friend?)
Gastroenteritis - Treatment Question: What treatments were effective for your case of gastroenteritis?
Gastroenteritis - Call for Medical Help Question: Did you have to call your doctor to treat your case of gastroenteritis? What did our doctor prescribe and what tests did he/she order to determine the cause of gastroenteritis?
Gastroenteritis - Complications Question: Please describe the complications you suffered due to gastroenteritis.