Patient Comments: Gastroenteritis - Treatment

What treatments were effective for your case of gastroenteritis?

A Doctor's View on A Doctor's View on Gastroenteritis Treatment

Read the Comment by John P. Cunha, DO, FACOEP

Gastroenteritis, or as some people refer to it as the "stomach flu," is an infection caused by viruses or bacteria that causes inflammation of the stomach and intestines. Symptoms of gastroenteritis include diarrhea, nausea, vomiting, and abdominal pain. Treatment generally can be managed at home with a BRAT diet, keeping hydrated by drinking plenty of fluids, and rest. If you feel severely dehydrated, develop a fever, or have blood in your stool or vomit, seek medical care. Read the entire Doctor's View

Comment from: ahartmeyer25, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: March 26

I"ve had the stomach flu for 6 days now. First day was vomiting profusely and diarrhea at the same time. After several hours I decided to go to the hospital. I was so dehydrated the doctor admitted me for the night, gave me some Phenergan and fluid through IV. I felt better the next day, just exhausted from the night's events. I vomited so hard that the blood vessels in my face and eyes busted, so I looked rather gross as blood pooled in the whites of my eyes. By day 3 I was a lot better, just had no appetite and slept a lot. Day 4 and 5 I finally ate solid food and was able to keep it down. Day 6 I still have diarrhea and my stomach is making loud gurgling sounds with bad gas. Not sure what that"s about, but I feel 90% better and will return to work on Monday after being out for four days.

Comment from: Barry, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: November 04

I got gastroenteritis while I was on vacation. Vomiting and severe diarrhea. When I got home I went to my GI doctor because by that time it had been 5 days and I was getting dehydrated. He gave me Flagyl and within a couple of days I was feeling much better.

Comment from: Dr troy, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: January 03

After 2 kids and wife got sick, I ended up with stomach flu. I had watery diarrhea, then nausea and headache. Best cure was bed and heating pad, get hot! Fever kills the virus. Drink fluids when you can. Zofran helped the kids. I did not get the vomiting. But the kids and wife, vomited within 30 seconds of feeling stomach pain. Rest and fever then chills helped. Once my fever broke I was on the mend.

Comment from: 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: November 04

This is my second time getting this. The first time was a one-time vomiting. After that I was fine. The second time was different. It started with eating some Stroganoff. I woke up at 3am in the morning with terrible stomach pains Nausea came after that I vomited two to three times after that. The pain went away only if I were sleeping. I drank Sprite to hydrate well and Alka Selzer for the stomach pains. It soothed my stomach for a moment but has since returned.

Comment from: checker, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: November 04

Mine started at about 2:30 a.m., waking me from a deep sleep with stomach cramps. I thought I had heartburn, so I took something for the heartburn and used the restroom. Everything was normal and I got back in bed. About 45 minutes later, I was vomiting in the trash can, trying to make it to the restroom, because I now have diarrhea. So, I'm sitting on the toilet with trash can in hand and diarrhea running out the other end. My stomach kept gurgling. By the time the clock went off for me to go to work at 5 a.m., I was exhausted and also had a horrible headache. I got in to see my doctor the same day, who gave me promethazine for the nausea and vomiting. The doctor said it was a 24-48-hour virus, but it was more like 48-72 hours. I hope this never hits me again.

Published: July 22

Mine started at 5:30 am with some fierce diarrhea. Then I started getting nauseous during the diarrhea episodes and wouldn't know which end it was coming out of first. The forceful vomiting caused the diarrhea to squirt out everywhere and I had to throw away my pants and get in the shower. The vomiting lasted a couple more hours. Then it was nausea, heartburn, stomach gurgling/noises for the next week. Horrible time! The only thing that helped was drinking tiny sips of ice water and Propel water.

Published: July 21

My symptoms usually last about a week, maybe longer. And that depends upon how soon I can see my Dr. for him to prescribe an antidiarrheal, anti spasmodic and pain reliever. Librax helped, but made me pretty dizzy & a bit groggy. Levsin also helped quite a bit. I chewed Maalox chewables for the incredible belching. That worked pretty well. When the cramping, diarrhea and dry heaves were over, the pain sometimes persisted as well as a lot of shakiness. I took Ativan that worked well for the shakiness.

Gastroenteritis - Symptoms Question: What symptoms did you have with gastroenteritis (stomach flu)?
Gastroenteritis - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with gastroenteritis (stomach flu).
Gastroenteritis - Cause Question: Do you know what virus, bacteria, or parasite caused your case of gastroenteritis (cruise ship, traveling by plane, traveling to another country, from a family member or friend?)
Gastroenteritis - Call for Medical Help Question: Did you have to call your doctor to treat your case of gastroenteritis?
Gastroenteritis - Complications Question: Please describe the complications you suffered due to gastroenteritis.
Gastroenteritis - Diagnosed Question: How was your case of gastroenteritis diagnosed?