Patient Comments: Gastroenteritis - Treatment

What treatments were effective for your case of gastroenteritis?

A Doctor's View on A Doctor's View on Gastroenteritis Treatment

Read the Comment by John P. Cunha, DO, FACOEP

Gastroenteritis, or as some people refer to it as the "stomach flu," is an infection caused by viruses or bacteria that causes inflammation of the stomach and intestines. Symptoms of gastroenteritis include diarrhea, nausea, vomiting, and abdominal pain. Treatment generally can be managed at home with a BRAT diet, keeping hydrated by drinking plenty of fluids, and rest. If you feel severely dehydrated, develop a fever, or have blood in your stool or vomit, seek medical care. Read the entire Doctor's View

Comment from: tiredmomma, 7-12 Female (Caregiver) Published: March 24

After all 4 of my kids having the stomach flu (gastroenteritis), here's my advice. Drink plenty of Gatorade and water. My 7 year old needed 5 ml every 5 minutes to stay hydrated. Popsicles are great when you can't eat, they help with hydration. Take Zofran and clean everything with Lysol, bleach, and GermX. Sleep with a towel under you, and a bucket by the bed for vomit, because there will be times that you cannot make it to the bathroom. Any signs of dehydration or lethargy seek medical help.

Comment from: ahartmeyer25, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: March 26

I"ve had the stomach flu for 6 days now. First day was vomiting profusely and diarrhea at the same time. After several hours I decided to go to the hospital. I was so dehydrated the doctor admitted me for the night, gave me some Phenergan and fluid through IV. I felt better the next day, just exhausted from the night's events. I vomited so hard that the blood vessels in my face and eyes busted, so I looked rather gross as blood pooled in the whites of my eyes. By day 3 I was a lot better, just had no appetite and slept a lot. Day 4 and 5 I finally ate solid food and was able to keep it down. Day 6 I still have diarrhea and my stomach is making loud gurgling sounds with bad gas. Not sure what that"s about, but I feel 90% better and will return to work on Monday after being out for four days.

Comment from: Barry, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: November 04

I got gastroenteritis while I was on vacation. Vomiting and severe diarrhea. When I got home I went to my GI doctor because by that time it had been 5 days and I was getting dehydrated. He gave me Flagyl and within a couple of days I was feeling much better.

Comment from: A Doctor, 7-12 Male (Caregiver) Published: November 04

The following liquids should be taken in sips as required to prevent dehydration if you have gastroenteritis. One liter of water plus 8 teaspoons of sugar 1 teaspoonful of salt, a glass of orange juice with a pinch of salt, a glass of buttermilk with a pinch of salt and a glass of rice water with a pinch of salt.

Comment from: nursemumsy, 7-12 Female (Caregiver) Published: November 04

Mere hours after my almost 11 year-old daughter came home from gymnastics practice last night all happy and full of energy, she became violently ill and vomited her entire stomach contents onto the bathroom floor. The volume was really impressive. She had intermittent bouts of vomiting throughout the night with only gastric juices left in her stomach to bring up. This morning she's had a few bouts of vomiting and diarrhea. Preventing dehydration is key in treating gastroenteritis, so I've found that ginger ale and a few saltine crackers help with that and calm the stomach. So far, my daughter has tolerated that fairly well with only one small bout of vomiting since. We'll try a little chicken soup later, if she's up for it.

Comment from: Dr troy, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: January 03

After 2 kids and wife got sick, I ended up with stomach flu. I had watery diarrhea, then nausea and headache. Best cure was bed and heating pad, get hot! Fever kills the virus. Drink fluids when you can. Zofran helped the kids. I did not get the vomiting. But the kids and wife, vomited within 30 seconds of feeling stomach pain. Rest and fever then chills helped. Once my fever broke I was on the mend.

Comment from: 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: November 04

This is my second time getting this. The first time was a one-time vomiting. After that I was fine. The second time was different. It started with eating some Stroganoff. I woke up at 3am in the morning with terrible stomach pains Nausea came after that I vomited two to three times after that. The pain went away only if I were sleeping. I drank Sprite to hydrate well and Alka Selzer for the stomach pains. It soothed my stomach for a moment but has since returned.

Gastroenteritis - Symptoms Question: What symptoms did you have with gastroenteritis (stomach flu)?
Gastroenteritis - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with gastroenteritis (stomach flu).
Gastroenteritis - Cause Question: Do you know what virus, bacteria, or parasite caused your case of gastroenteritis (cruise ship, traveling by plane, traveling to another country, from a family member or friend?)
Gastroenteritis - Call for Medical Help Question: Did you have to call your doctor to treat your case of gastroenteritis?
Gastroenteritis - Complications Question: Please describe the complications you suffered due to gastroenteritis.
Gastroenteritis - Diagnosed Question: How was your case of gastroenteritis diagnosed?