Patient Comments: Gastroenteritis - Treatment

What treatments were effective for your case of gastroenteritis?

A Doctor's View on A Doctor's View on Gastroenteritis Treatment

Read the Comment by John P. Cunha, DO, FACOEP

Gastroenteritis, or as some people refer to it as the "stomach flu," is an infection caused by viruses or bacteria that causes inflammation of the stomach and intestines. Symptoms of gastroenteritis include diarrhea, nausea, vomiting, and abdominal pain. Treatment generally can be managed at home with a BRAT diet, keeping hydrated by drinking plenty of fluids, and rest. If you feel severely dehydrated, develop a fever, or have blood in your stool or vomit, seek medical care. Read the entire Doctor's View

Comment from: 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: November 04

This is my second time getting this. The first time was a one-time vomiting. After that I was fine. The second time was different. It started with eating some Stroganoff. I woke up at 3am in the morning with terrible stomach pains Nausea came after that I vomited two to three times after that. The pain went away only if I were sleeping. I drank Sprite to hydrate well and Alka Selzer for the stomach pains. It soothed my stomach for a moment but has since returned.

Comment from: checker, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: November 04

Mine started at about 2:30 a.m., waking me from a deep sleep with stomach cramps. I thought I had heartburn, so I took something for the heartburn and used the restroom. Everything was normal and I got back in bed. About 45 minutes later, I was vomiting in the trash can, trying to make it to the restroom, because I now have diarrhea. So, I'm sitting on the toilet with trash can in hand and diarrhea running out the other end. My stomach kept gurgling. By the time the clock went off for me to go to work at 5 a.m., I was exhausted and also had a horrible headache. I got in to see my doctor the same day, who gave me promethazine for the nausea and vomiting. The doctor said it was a 24-48-hour virus, but it was more like 48-72 hours. I hope this never hits me again.

Gastroenteritis - Symptoms Question: What symptoms did you have with gastroenteritis (stomach flu)?
Gastroenteritis - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with gastroenteritis (stomach flu).
Gastroenteritis - Cause Question: Do you know what virus, bacteria, or parasite caused your case of gastroenteritis (cruise ship, traveling by plane, traveling to another country, from a family member or friend?)
Gastroenteritis - Call for Medical Help Question: Did you have to call your doctor to treat your case of gastroenteritis?
Gastroenteritis - Complications Question: Please describe the complications you suffered due to gastroenteritis.
Gastroenteritis - Diagnosed Question: How was your case of gastroenteritis diagnosed?