Patient Comments: Gastroenteritis - Treatment

What treatments were effective for your case of gastroenteritis?

Comment from: checker, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: November 04

Mine started at about 2:30 a.m., waking me from a deep sleep with stomach cramps. I thought I had heartburn, so I took something for the heartburn and used the restroom. Everything was normal and I got back in bed. About 45 minutes later, I was vomiting in the trash can, trying to make it to the restroom, because I now have diarrhea. So, I'm sitting on the toilet with trash can in hand and diarrhea running out the other end. My stomach kept gurgling. By the time the clock went off for me to go to work at 5 a.m., I was exhausted and also had a horrible headache. I got in to see my doctor the same day, who gave me promethazine for the nausea and vomiting. The doctor said it was a 24-48-hour virus, but it was more like 48-72 hours. I hope this never hits me again.

Published: July 22

Mine started at 5:30 am with some fierce diarrhea. Then I started getting nauseous during the diarrhea episodes and wouldn't know which end it was coming out of first. The forceful vomiting caused the diarrhea to squirt out everywhere and I had to throw away my pants and get in the shower. The vomiting lasted a couple more hours. Then it was nausea, heartburn, stomach gurgling/noises for the next week. Horrible time! The only thing that helped was drinking tiny sips of ice water and Propel water.

Published: July 21

My symptoms usually last about a week, maybe longer. And that depends upon how soon I can see my Dr. for him to prescribe an antidiarrheal, anti spasmodic and pain reliever. Librax helped, but made me pretty dizzy & a bit groggy. Levsin also helped quite a bit. I chewed Maalox chewables for the incredible belching. That worked pretty well. When the cramping, diarrhea and dry heaves were over, the pain sometimes persisted as well as a lot of shakiness. I took Ativan that worked well for the shakiness.

Published: June 20

Day one: I started the day with an irritating stomach cramp. It progressed into severe nausea by the afternoon. Uncontrollable vomiting and watery stools ensued. I would vomit to the point of painful dry-heaving and almost passing out. By the time it exhausted me, my lips had a weird tingly sensation, and then I had a cold sweat. This same cycle would continue for nearly 10 hours with only half an hour in between at best. Before I would get sick again, I would get progressive shortness of breath that turned into heaving. I tried to keep down water and Gatorade. Day two: I slept through most of the night from exhaustion. By the time I awoke, I was completely dehydrated. I had severe stomach pain. I drank minimal amounts of fluid because my stomach would easily be overloaded. My BMs were watery for most of the day. I had shortness of breath with the lack of energy. I vomited any food eaten. Day three: I had to work today. I shouldn't have though. I kept down most of my fluids but any food eaten triggered vomiting. The color returned to my stool but it is far from solid. I just got home, and I'm going to rest until I can finally be well again.

Comment from: Cocopuffs, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: August 13

I have had this viral infection for about 5 days already. I only get nausea no vomit and i do not have diarrhea. I have some abdominal pain, i feel like i have a fever, my ears feel warmer than usual, eyes feel like when you are catching a cold and my neck feels tired and stiff. My stool still has yellow mucus I read it was the stomach enzymes (stomach producing too much so it can smooth out things in there). It is also a little black. I went to ER they gave me IV fluids, checked for blood in stool it was negative told me it was viral it will go away. It gets bad in the mornings the nausea and dizziness tiredness all that. I Drink ORS (oral re-hydration solutions) buy at pharmacy, vegetable soup, crackers, toast, water, apple sauce. can some one tell me if it has lasted more than 8 days? thanks

Comment from: 19-24 (Patient) Published: August 13

Started around bed time with stomach pain and a high fever (my thermometer was broken but based on past experience i'm guessing 102-103), it's august and I was shivering in sweats in bed with multiple blankets. Didn't sleep for more than 2 hours at a time for the next 2 days with diarrhea, fever, headache, stomache ache and body aches. After all the food cleared out of my digestive tract i was just letting loose watery yellow stuff with a smidge of brown sand-like stool at the bottom. Fever finally cleared after around 36-48 hours and diarrhea went from persistent to only after meals, but it's been 8 days and I still can't keep down any food without lomitil, and even then it sort of just delays loose stool.

Gastroenteritis - Symptoms Question: What symptoms did you have with gastroenteritis (stomach flu)?
Gastroenteritis - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with gastroenteritis (stomach flu).
Gastroenteritis - Cause Question: Do you know what virus, bacteria, or parasite caused your case of gastroenteritis (cruise ship, traveling by plane, traveling to another country, from a family member or friend?)
Gastroenteritis - Call for Medical Help Question: Did you have to call your doctor to treat your case of gastroenteritis?
Gastroenteritis - Complications Question: Please describe the complications you suffered due to gastroenteritis.
Gastroenteritis - Diagnosed Question: How was your case of gastroenteritis diagnosed?