Patient Comments: Gastroenteritis - Treatment

What treatments were effective for your case of gastroenteritis?

Published: June 20

Day one: I started the day with an irritating stomach cramp. It progressed into severe nausea by the afternoon. Uncontrollable vomiting and watery stools ensued. I would vomit to the point of painful dry-heaving and almost passing out. By the time it exhausted me, my lips had a weird tingly sensation, and then I had a cold sweat. This same cycle would continue for nearly 10 hours with only half an hour in between at best. Before I would get sick again, I would get progressive shortness of breath that turned into heaving. I tried to keep down water and Gatorade. Day two: I slept through most of the night from exhaustion. By the time I awoke, I was completely dehydrated. I had severe stomach pain. I drank minimal amounts of fluid because my stomach would easily be overloaded. My BMs were watery for most of the day. I had shortness of breath with the lack of energy. I vomited any food eaten. Day three: I had to work today. I shouldn't have though. I kept down most of my fluids but any food eaten triggered vomiting. The color returned to my stool but it is far from solid. I just got home, and I'm going to rest until I can finally be well again.

Comment from: Cocopuffs, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: August 13

I have had this viral infection for about 5 days already. I only get nausea no vomit and i do not have diarrhea. I have some abdominal pain, i feel like i have a fever, my ears feel warmer than usual, eyes feel like when you are catching a cold and my neck feels tired and stiff. My stool still has yellow mucus I read it was the stomach enzymes (stomach producing too much so it can smooth out things in there). It is also a little black. I went to ER they gave me IV fluids, checked for blood in stool it was negative told me it was viral it will go away. It gets bad in the mornings the nausea and dizziness tiredness all that. I Drink ORS (oral re-hydration solutions) buy at pharmacy, vegetable soup, crackers, toast, water, apple sauce. can some one tell me if it has lasted more than 8 days? thanks

Comment from: 19-24 (Patient) Published: August 13

Started around bed time with stomach pain and a high fever (my thermometer was broken but based on past experience i'm guessing 102-103), it's august and I was shivering in sweats in bed with multiple blankets. Didn't sleep for more than 2 hours at a time for the next 2 days with diarrhea, fever, headache, stomache ache and body aches. After all the food cleared out of my digestive tract i was just letting loose watery yellow stuff with a smidge of brown sand-like stool at the bottom. Fever finally cleared after around 36-48 hours and diarrhea went from persistent to only after meals, but it's been 8 days and I still can't keep down any food without lomitil, and even then it sort of just delays loose stool.

Comment from: Adrian, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: July 24

I had the stomach flu for the last 6 days. No vomiting or the runs but things like fever, night sweats, back ache and a violent stomach ache. I have also had a running temperature. This flu is brutal. At one stage I was on the floor in a fetal position in agony. Just starting to get back on my feet now. I have had 4 days off work.

Comment from: Ugh, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: April 10

For me, the symptoms lasted a week. On the first day, I had nasty bouts of diarrhea, awful vomiting, and dry-heaving. I couldn't consume anything except for ice chips without vomiting a half hour or so later. Over the next few days as the symptoms decreased, I found that I could drink things like Propel, and close to the end I could take Vitamin Water. I did not take any medicine, because the last time I had this flu, taking medicine only kept it in my body longer.

Comment from: nania1, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 01

I have had the stomach flu for five days now with all of the related symptoms. It felt like I had rocks in my stomach. I finally called the doctor and he prescribed Phernagin and started me on it last night. It has settled my stomach so today I feel like maybe eating some toast or rice. I have missed a whole week of work due to this stuff! It is for sure no fun.

Published: July 21

I got gastroenteritis and I only got the vomiting side of it. It has been happening every hour for the past week and a half now and I'm still getting pains in my stomach. I had to go to hospital because I was dehydrated.

Gastroenteritis - Symptoms Question: What symptoms did you have with gastroenteritis (stomach flu)?
Gastroenteritis - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with gastroenteritis (stomach flu).
Gastroenteritis - Cause Question: Do you know what virus, bacteria, or parasite caused your case of gastroenteritis (cruise ship, traveling by plane, traveling to another country, from a family member or friend?)
Gastroenteritis - Call for Medical Help Question: Did you have to call your doctor to treat your case of gastroenteritis?
Gastroenteritis - Complications Question: Please describe the complications you suffered due to gastroenteritis.
Gastroenteritis - Diagnosed Question: How was your case of gastroenteritis diagnosed?