Patient Comments: Gastroenteritis - Experience

Please describe your experience with gastroenteritis (stomach flu).

Comment from: verysick, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: August 24

I had nausea, stomach pain, leg weakness, on day one of gastroenteritis. I decided to go to the emergency room. I was admitted, and had CAT scans, blood tests, the whole 9 yards of medical tests. I was admitted to surgical ward the surgeon came in next day and said it's probably a virus; end of discussion. I was kept another day in hospital for food to see how I was tolerating some semisolids and then sent home. I came home, feel the same as I went in; no improvement, and I still don't know what is going on!

Comment from: tfledder, 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: March 13

I had the annual flu shot in fall 2014, but my experience with the flu started at 8 pm this past Sunday night with horrible diarrhea like never before and lasted until 5 am. Every 3 minutes I was on the pot. No fever, cramps (small gurgling only), or respiratory stuff ever! In the morning I tried some soda crackers with cream cheese and was a little better. I made it through 7 hours at work but had to make 5 very hasty trips to the bathroom so as not to mess myself. I'm still a bit weak but that's a regular thing for the last 10 years. I am not sure why. I lost 9 to 10 lb. over this stomach flu!

Comment from: yvrsun, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 26

I was feeling perfectly healthy after having a productive day. I went to meet my boyfriend after work and spend time at the casino. Then I became dizzy, faint, and felt 'off'. I thought it was the air quality. So we left. On the way home my tummy started making noises and we hightailed it home and made it to the bathroom just in time. Liquid stool, nausea and chills. Once I thought I'd finished I'd try and get up and have to run back. Then I began throwing up. I thought I had food poisoning but the chills were unbearable. I had a hot bath and couldn't warm up and by this point I was scared and weepy. I went to bed. About 6 hours later my boyfriend got it. We had spent the past weekend at the casino and think we probably picked up something there. We are on day 4 and still feeling ragged. Keeping down fluids has been a task, and keeping headaches at bay also a challenge because pills are difficult to keep down. But the most important thing we have found is to eat soup, toast, and drink lots of tea, water, and ginger ale. It's been helpful. Hoping to feel better soon.

Comment from: /59, Female (Patient) Published: June 02

Within minutes my gastroenteritis was so bad, no time to breathe; the diarrhea was explosive it was everywhere! I couldn"t control them after 8 hours I went to the hospital where they left me lying in my own feces. When doctor came I was white as ghost, severely dehydrated and was admitted to hospital for a week so weak I could hardly stand. I am home in bed, but can"t handle any food but can keep down fluids. This was the most embarrassing and horrible thing I have gone through; would rather have a baby.

Comment from: sharon, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: March 28

I had gastroenteritis. I got hospitalized for three days, and threw up everything I ate and I have a bad stomach cramps and I also had diarrhea. I"m having fever right now, I think it's still connected to this gastroenteritis. I really want to get well soon. I already lost 5 pounds on my weight.

Comment from: Lily, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: November 04

I had traveled to the Caribbean for a vacation. I got a really bad upper respiratory infection the third day. A friend of mine had me go to her doctor. He gave me some medication for the cough, and some antibiotics. Two days later, I coughed really hard and I, well, it just came out all over the bed. I never even had a chance to make it to the bathroom. It got progressively worse between vomiting and diarrhea; plus I still had the URI. When I coughed I either vomited or had diarrhea. I had to just keep a towel on the bed. The trip home by plane took two days, and I was horrified of being on the plane and coughing and either vomiting or pooping my pants. I had a friend go get me some adult diapers. I never thought I'd ever have to wear adult diapers at my age, but I did. They worked and I got home. I went right to urgent care and they gave me a Z-pak and a different cough med. Three days later I was still in a diaper so I went to my GI doctor. He tested me for C. diff, and said I definitely had gastroenteritis. I was in bed for two straight weeks. Not fun!

Gastroenteritis - Symptoms Question: What symptoms did you have with gastroenteritis (stomach flu)?
Gastroenteritis - Cause Question: Do you know what virus, bacteria, or parasite caused your case of gastroenteritis (cruise ship, traveling by plane, traveling to another country, from a family member or friend?)
Gastroenteritis - Treatment Question: What treatments were effective for your case of gastroenteritis?
Gastroenteritis - Call for Medical Help Question: Did you have to call your doctor to treat your case of gastroenteritis?
Gastroenteritis - Complications Question: Please describe the complications you suffered due to gastroenteritis.
Gastroenteritis - Diagnosed Question: How was your case of gastroenteritis diagnosed?