Patient Comments: Gastroenteritis - Symptoms

What symptoms did you have with gastroenteritis (stomach flu)?

Comment from: NapsWithCats, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 02

I went to emergency hospital last night as I was suffering; I mean crying in pain (rare occurrence). I already have colitis (since I was 19), hiatal hernia and GERD, but last night I was slammed with immediate watery diarrhea, severe stomach cramps to the point I was unable to pet my cats even. Leaning over hurt, standing up straight hurt. I called my friend who took me to emergency last night. They took CT scan and also an x-ray and found I had gastroenteritis that has been 'probably caused by a virus. I believe it is norovirus. I was given prescription for aluminum hydroxide/magnesium hydroxide/simethicone 200/200/20 to be taken 4 times/day, and also another one that I am not going to fill because I was feeling nauseous, but never threw up. The other is Zofran ODT 4 mg (1 tablet every 8 hours). I won't be filling this one, I am very low on money. What a painful thing to go through! I had headaches for about a month (never got headaches before), I have regular colitis, but yesterday it went crazy, and then the intolerable stomach cramping; horrible. As soon as that pharmacy opens, I'm getting the simethicone. I remember when I was first diagnosed at age 19 with colitis they gave me this and it really calms the stomach!

Comment from: ed, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: April 21

A few days ago Tuesday, I started feeling minor symptoms of gastroenteritis. It wasn't till Thursday that same week I had shivers, extreme headache like a sinus infection, painful cramps and fever. No vomiting, thank goodness. After two days my symptoms improved but the cramps remained as well as the trips to the bathroom. Now it is day four, I am still with cramps and diarrhea. On top of that I have developed a hemorrhoid the size of a golf ball which makes me want to use the rest room even more. At the moment it feels like I am constipated and have diarrhea at the same time. In addition, I am not urinating as easily. Seems like I have a blockage.

Comment from: tiredmomma, 7-12 Female (Caregiver) Published: March 24

My youngest daughter got the stomach flu (gastroenteritis) one week after I took her to the doctor for a severe cough. It started in the middle of the night as vomiting and diarrhea, and it lasted 3 days. After that I had to take her to children's hospital for fluids because she was dehydrated. They gave her fluids, sent us home and she was fine for exactly 1 week. Then it came back, and after the 1st day she was lethargic and had to go get more fluids. She's doing well now, and my other 3 kids have it. It started the same way, but I've been able to keep them hydrated. I've sprayed Lysol and cleaned everything with bleach. Hopefully we can get rid of this mess soon. The only advice I have is drink plenty of water, or Gatorade, eat popsicles, and sleep with an old towel under you and a bucket by the bed for vomit. Zofran has worked well for the older 3, but not for my 7 year old.

Comment from: nea, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 31

My gastroenteritis started 2 days ago, felt like a lot of trapped gas. Then the diarrhea started, and I was very nauseated, but did not throw up. Then the chills hit, I could not get warm even under an electric blanket. Fever was 101.7. Fever finally broke, but not the stomach issues. I feel like someone has been punching me in the gut! I am so sore, and so weak. Of course, the holidays in a small town, good luck getting a doctor's appointment. I can't eat. I am trying to stay hydrated. I hope this goes away soon!

Comment from: Gregc20169, Male (Patient) Published: July 14

I came down with what I believe was gastroenteritis on last Wednesday. I was having watery bowel movements and feeling nauseous. After the last 5 days of not being hungry, upset stomach, and staying near to a toilet, I am starting to feel a little better. My stomach still feels like I ate a few wine glasses, when I am sitting up or working at my desk. I have to say I wouldn't wish this on anyone.

Gastroenteritis - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with gastroenteritis (stomach flu).
Gastroenteritis - Cause Question: Do you know what virus, bacteria, or parasite caused your case of gastroenteritis (cruise ship, traveling by plane, traveling to another country, from a family member or friend?)
Gastroenteritis - Treatment Question: What treatments were effective for your case of gastroenteritis?
Gastroenteritis - Call for Medical Help Question: Did you have to call your doctor to treat your case of gastroenteritis?
Gastroenteritis - Complications Question: Please describe the complications you suffered due to gastroenteritis.
Gastroenteritis - Diagnosed Question: How was your case of gastroenteritis diagnosed?