Patient Comments: Gastroenteritis - Symptoms

What symptoms did you have with gastroenteritis (stomach flu)?

Comment from: Diane, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: January 27

I awoke in the night feeling that something wasn't right. I went to the bathroom and immediately broke out in heavy perspiration, and had a real bout of diarrhea. It really scared me. All night I had fever, chills, stomach cramps, and was up and down making trips to the bathroom. I had no idea where all that fluid came from in the diarrhea. Like it would never stop. The next day was the same thing. I slept almost all day which I've never done. The next day, I felt better and decided to try some solid food; bad idea. Back it came, though not as bad. I've been trying to stay hydrated with water and Gatorade. I have only eaten Jell-O, rice cooked in chicken broth, and some applesauce. Gastroenteritis isn't fun at all!

Comment from: Male, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: January 08

My gastroenteritis symptom was foul smelling frequent bowel movements. I am a diabetic under kidney treatment and take phosphorous blockers. I had no flu like symptoms.

Comment from: Jim, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: November 04

I got gastroenteritis on vacation in Florida. It came on VERY suddenly. I didn't even make it to the bathroom. Luckily I was in my hotel room, but what a mess. I had that kind of diarrhea and vomiting for five straight days. I tried over the counter remedies but nothing worked. When I got home I went to my doctor and he gave me antibiotics.

Comment from: congoclark81, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: November 04

This is one nasty bug! First, it hit my daughter, then me, and now my husband. I went to work Monday morning feeling fine. Two hours into my workday, it hit me out of nowhere. I was in the bathroom for almost three hours straight with diarrhea and gagging. I became extremely tired, dizzy, and nauseous, with extreme stomach cramps. Any sight or smell of food made the nausea more severe. Later that night, the body aches, chills, and headache came on. I slept straight through from 8:30 p.m. until 6 a.m. Nearly 48 hours later, I still have a stomachache, headache, nausea, and still feeling drained.

Comment from: 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: November 04

I started on August 11th with gas pains. On August 12th I had diarrhea with severe gas pains beforehand. Anything I ate caused severe gas pains and diarrhea. Although I felt "yucky" most of the time I never vomited. I went through a few days that everything, bananas, applesauce, toast, etc. made me feel sick and I was gagging on almost everything. My doctor suggested I drink "Pedialyte" and not to worry about eating, just don't get dehydrated. It has continued on for over two weeks. I am feeling somewhat better but I still have to be careful what I eat. No dairy of any kind right now it brings back symptoms loose bowels. I am not back to normal yet but hopefully if I am really careful as to what I eat I will improve. Today is my 70th birthday.

Gastroenteritis - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with gastroenteritis (stomach flu).
Gastroenteritis - Cause Question: Do you know what virus, bacteria, or parasite caused your case of gastroenteritis (cruise ship, traveling by plane, traveling to another country, from a family member or friend?)
Gastroenteritis - Treatment Question: What treatments were effective for your case of gastroenteritis?
Gastroenteritis - Call for Medical Help Question: Did you have to call your doctor to treat your case of gastroenteritis?
Gastroenteritis - Complications Question: Please describe the complications you suffered due to gastroenteritis.
Gastroenteritis - Diagnosed Question: How was your case of gastroenteritis diagnosed?