Patient Comments: Gastritis - Symptoms and Signs

What symptoms and signs did you experience with your gastritis?

Comment from: Fredrick, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: December 02

One day I had pain in my upper right abdomen that was so excruciating and I remember before that I was degassing a lot. The symptoms were so sudden that it was difficult to single out what could have caused it. I'm therefore left guessing the cause. When I went to my doctor, blood and stool tests were done but with negative results. I was later taken for endoscopy that revealed gastritis. I was then put on Nexium IV and later 40 mg of Nexium. The pain subsided but with recurrence sometimes. I am presently on a diet with cabbage as part of my diet. Those taking proton inhibitors should also try to take breaks because continuous use may result in sclerosis due to lack of calcium digestion. Good luck to all of us, may we get relief.

Comment from: amanda, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 28

Drinking lemon water first thing in the morning will help with gastritis. Also I take probiotic once daily as well as eat apples, bananas, grilled fish or salmon and instant potatoes. It has cleared my gastritis up to the point where I am trying more foods daily.

Comment from: Papagigi, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: February 24

I am 73 years old and otherwise in good health and active. My gastritis pain is a severe gripping and crippling pain between my breasts that goes through to my back. I started having them about 4 weeks ago but maybe once in a while. I was eating Tums. Finally I went to the doctor and saw his assistant who diagnosed esophageal spasms and gave me nitro. A few days later I had 3 episodes in one day each worse than the last. My husband took me into emergency. I had enough markers for heart attack that they did a heart catheter through my wrist. It was not heart. Next test was endoscopy where they found gastritis and erosion of the duodenum. I was in hospital 3 days and sent home with a device implanted in my esophagus to measure acid and activity of attacks. I have not received results of that yet. Doctor took away my arthritis medicines which were the culprit and increased Prilosec to 40 mg twice a day and a Pepcid AC 20 mg before bed. Last week I went 3 days without attack and wham, another bad one. I have been eating very plain and small meals. Seems to be the best. I went to friends' for dinner and ate more than usual. Bad choice. Very bad attack last night, not only pain in chest and back but left arm. I could not lay flat. Slept in recliner all night. Most attacks last about 20 minutes but last night was nearly an hour. Doctor says it takes a good 6 weeks to feel better. I can't believe how excruciating and debilitating these attacks are. Really watch the diet and take your medicines.

Comment from: Karma, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: December 23

I had totally severe and unbearable central abdominal pain (top center) lasting for a day until the intervention of the hospital where I was given pain killers. I was advised for ultrasound and endoscopy and from the endoscopy result, I was told that it is gastritis with H. pylori infection. I had the same pain exactly 2 years before but was cured by pain killers after a brief stay in the hospital, but there was no conclusive findings by the doctors.

Comment from: Hippiechick, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 23

In 2011 my stomach started burning (in upper part of stomach), and I had gurgling, bloating, gas, burping and diarrhea, and fatigue. In 2000 I had GERD surgery and was doing well until 2011. I also had my gall bladder removed in 2000. My stomach hurt so badly I went to my family doctor and was put on 60 mg of Dexilant, 1 pill a day. It helped for about a year, then another flare-up. So a colonoscopy and endoscopy were ordered. I had several stool tests, which were all negative. Biopsies were taken to check for H. pylori, diverticulitis, colitis, and celiac disease. All were negative. I was told I have chronic gastritis. I break out with sores every time I have a gastritis flare-up. They start as blisters that itch, then break causing an open wound that is very sore and deep. They scab over and last for weeks! They look terrible. I wonder if anyone else gets sores with gastritis or if this is another issue. I've never had breakouts, even as a teenager until I was diagnosed with gastritis 2 years ago. I've been having a flare-up for the last 5 to 6 weeks now. I get so tired of not feeling good! A new doctor just put me on colestipol 1 gm twice a day to bring the bile from my gall bladder removal. Hopefully this will help! I have been on it for only 4 days.

Gastritis - Describe Your Experience Question: Please describe your experience with gastritis.
Gastritis - Causes Question: If known, what was the cause of your gastritis? Did you go to a doctor?
Gastritis - Diagnosis Question: What types of exams or tests led to a diagnosis of gastritis? If you had an endoscopy, please describe the procedure.
Gastritis - OTC and Prescription Medications Question: What types of treatment, including medications, did you receive for gastritis?
Gastritis - Experience Question: Please share your experience with acute or chronic gastritis.
Gastritis - Causes Question: If known, what was the cause of your gastritis?
Gastritis - Symptoms Question: What symptoms did you have with gastritis?
Gastritis - Diet to Sooth Symptoms Question: What foods have you found help sooth or treat your gastritis/