Patient Comments: Gastritis - Symptoms and Signs

What symptoms and signs did you experience with your gastritis?

Comment from: amanda, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 28

Drinking lemon water first thing in the morning will help with gastritis. Also I take probiotic once daily as well as eat apples, bananas, grilled fish or salmon and instant potatoes. It has cleared my gastritis up to the point where I am trying more foods daily.

Comment from: Papagigi, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: February 24

I am 73 years old and otherwise in good health and active. My gastritis pain is a severe gripping and crippling pain between my breasts that goes through to my back. I started having them about 4 weeks ago but maybe once in a while. I was eating Tums. Finally I went to the doctor and saw his assistant who diagnosed esophageal spasms and gave me nitro. A few days later I had 3 episodes in one day each worse than the last. My husband took me into emergency. I had enough markers for heart attack that they did a heart catheter through my wrist. It was not heart. Next test was endoscopy where they found gastritis and erosion of the duodenum. I was in hospital 3 days and sent home with a device implanted in my esophagus to measure acid and activity of attacks. I have not received results of that yet. Doctor took away my arthritis medicines which were the culprit and increased Prilosec to 40 mg twice a day and a Pepcid AC 20 mg before bed. Last week I went 3 days without attack and wham, another bad one. I have been eating very plain and small meals. Seems to be the best. I went to friends' for dinner and ate more than usual. Bad choice. Very bad attack last night, not only pain in chest and back but left arm. I could not lay flat. Slept in recliner all night. Most attacks last about 20 minutes but last night was nearly an hour. Doctor says it takes a good 6 weeks to feel better. I can't believe how excruciating and debilitating these attacks are. Really watch the diet and take your medicines.

Comment from: Karma, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: December 23

I had totally severe and unbearable central abdominal pain (top center) lasting for a day until the intervention of the hospital where I was given pain killers. I was advised for ultrasound and endoscopy and from the endoscopy result, I was told that it is gastritis with H. pylori infection. I had the same pain exactly 2 years before but was cured by pain killers after a brief stay in the hospital, but there was no conclusive findings by the doctors.

Comment from: Hippiechick, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 23

In 2011 my stomach started burning (in upper part of stomach), and I had gurgling, bloating, gas, burping and diarrhea, and fatigue. In 2000 I had GERD surgery and was doing well until 2011. I also had my gall bladder removed in 2000. My stomach hurt so badly I went to my family doctor and was put on 60 mg of Dexilant, 1 pill a day. It helped for about a year, then another flare-up. So a colonoscopy and endoscopy were ordered. I had several stool tests, which were all negative. Biopsies were taken to check for H. pylori, diverticulitis, colitis, and celiac disease. All were negative. I was told I have chronic gastritis. I break out with sores every time I have a gastritis flare-up. They start as blisters that itch, then break causing an open wound that is very sore and deep. They scab over and last for weeks! They look terrible. I wonder if anyone else gets sores with gastritis or if this is another issue. I've never had breakouts, even as a teenager until I was diagnosed with gastritis 2 years ago. I've been having a flare-up for the last 5 to 6 weeks now. I get so tired of not feeling good! A new doctor just put me on colestipol 1 gm twice a day to bring the bile from my gall bladder removal. Hopefully this will help! I have been on it for only 4 days.

Comment from: srt123, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: July 22

I have been diagnosed with chronic gastritis after an endoscopy. My pain began as a sharp stabbing feeling in the upper left abdomen (a pain even after all I have done still exists), this pain slowly progressed to a swelling in the pancreatic area. After so many tests and theories the diagnosis came as a shock. I was given Prilosec to help the healing process, but I was instructed to change my diet; no gluten or dairy. It had helped but I still experience stabbing pain, burning when I'm hungry, and vomiting when I wait too long to eat once symptoms start. I am told changing the diet gives the stomach a chance to start it's healing, after the pain subsides I am free to reintroduce foods. I will not lie, the pain is still there, and next to the gastritis I feel I am still lacking a proper diagnosis for the swelling, and stabbing pain in my upper abdomen even if the tests revealed that everything there is normal.

Gastritis - Describe Your Experience Question: Please describe your experience with gastritis.
Gastritis - Causes Question: If known, what was the cause of your gastritis? Did you go to a doctor?
Gastritis - Diagnosis Question: What types of exams or tests led to a diagnosis of gastritis? If you had an endoscopy, please describe the procedure.
Gastritis - OTC and Prescription Medications Question: What types of treatment, including medications, did you receive for gastritis?
Gastritis - Experience Question: Please share your experience with acute or chronic gastritis.
Gastritis - Causes Question: If known, what was the cause of your gastritis?
Gastritis - Symptoms Question: What symptoms did you have with gastritis?
Gastritis - Diet to Sooth Symptoms Question: What foods have you found help sooth or treat your gastritis/