Patient Comments: Gastritis - Symptoms and Signs

What symptoms and signs did you experience with your gastritis?

Comment from: spacee, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 22

I have Barrett's esophagus, and went to the emergency room with severe upper abdominal pain. The doctor couldn"t find anything wrong, blood tests, etc. I went to the gastroenterologist yesterday, for having endoscopy, which I have due to the Barrett's, every year. When you have a flare up of gastritis, spinach, pineapple, salmon, and almonds take the pain away. It is imperative to eat small meals, avoid spicy food, alcohol, and caffeine. I take 4 Prilosec a day and Carafate. I had a bleeding ulcer last year. Doctor wants to check me out to control it better. I know terrible pain, eating those 4 foods will take the pain away immediately. Good Luck everyone. I will repost after my test.

Comment from: PHILI, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: March 11

I have suffered from a burning stomach, throat, burping and passing of gas since 2011 and have been to more than 6 doctors. Two of them said I suffer from acid reflux. Then I was prescribed Nexium 40mg which did not help much, until last year when I was referred to gastroenterologists where I did my endoscopy and nodular gastritis was found. I am currently taking omeprazole which seem to be working for me, but lately I have noticed that whenever I take something with cow milk I get that burning sensation, I could be lactose intolerant as well.

Comment from: chrissyx, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: January 29

My gastritis started with weeks and weeks of a burning sensation in my chest and stomach, feeling sick but I just put it down to heartburn an indigestion. Weeks later I was at work and the pain was worse than usual, by the time I got home I was in serious pain retching and cramping up. I went to bed hoping I could sleep it off but yelled my mum awake at about 6am, the pain was now worse than giving birth to my son and I thought I was dying. I got an appointment with an emergency doctor as it was a Saturday. I couldn't walk, speak or function at this point and my mum said I looked yellow. When we got into the doctor's she felt my tummy, looked at my eyes, took my temperature (which was sky high) and rang me an ambulance. Anyway long story short, when I got to the hospital they soon figured out that it was gastritis and hooked me up to a drip of omeprazole in 1 arm and antibiotics in the other. They took blood and said my blood count was only at 52% so they kept me in for 3 days and gave me a blood transfusion of 2 pints. They said it was a miracle I was walking around and going to work! So please don't ignore symptoms, as I have never felt pain like that in my life! Mine was caused by overuse of ibuprofen.

Comment from: boochie, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 14

I was just awakened by an 'on fire' stomach. On the follow up with my doctor she said I have to give my tummy time to heal from the H pylori infection and the two weeks of 2000 mg of antibiotics that she had me on. Supposedly the antibiotics really mess your stomach up. She said 4 to 6 weeks breaking time, maybe more. I am so freaked. I barely want to eat, I'm bloated, gassy and queasy and have burning in my stomach off and on. She said it is gastritis, the crazy thing is I have severe anxiety which she said is making it worse.

Comment from: Julie, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 27

I have been suffering from gastritis since I had my gallbladder out in 2009. I had a stomach ulcer previously but before this no stomach problems at all. I get reflux too. I get severe pain. For a long time I was getting one good day and one bad day like that. Now it seems to be mostly bad days with worsening pain. I don't have nausea. I am going to be tested for carcinoids as a cause has not been found for my gastritis. I'm really scared. I can't sleep with the pain and eating and drinking is difficult. This latest flare up has happened after eating spicy foods which I should not have had. Eating mild foods and avoiding triggers does sometimes help, sometimes not. I am at my wits end with the pain and am thinking more and more of trying herbal remedies. Sometimes I think I would be better off without a stomach. I don't even know if the doctors would take it out but that's how bad it has got for me.

Gastritis - Describe Your Experience Question: Please describe your experience with gastritis.
Gastritis - Causes Question: If known, what was the cause of your gastritis? Did you go to a doctor?
Gastritis - Diagnosis Question: What types of exams or tests led to a diagnosis of gastritis? If you had an endoscopy, please describe the procedure.
Gastritis - Treatment Question: What types of treatment, including medications, did you receive for gastritis?