Patient Comments: Gastritis - Symptoms and Signs

What symptoms and signs did you experience with your gastritis?

Comment from: Kittycatkara, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: February 26

I have chronic gastritis caused from excessive alcohol use. I am 25 years old and was just recently hospitalized for 5 days after a night of drinking. I find that clean eating and no longer drinking any alcohol helps my stomach. I no longer eat spicy foods, fried foods, or processed foods. I try and eat at least 5 times a day. I can only also eat a small amount at a time because sometimes I feel sick to my stomach if I eat too much in one sitting. It has definitely changed my life for the better. I don"t have any flare ups. I stick with clean eating, it makes me feel great!

Comment from: dudica, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: November 22

Since 2007 I've developed a pain in the upper left part of my tummy, that moves along to my left leg. The movement also goes to my back side, the pain really continued up to my cerebral headache. I've been treated, given many pain killers, done x-rays and G-scope but nothing was found. Currently this year the doctor found out that I am a gastritis patient, caused by a heavy load of H-pylori.

Comment from: Chikastika, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: November 14

I love coffee so much that I take 3 times a day, not knowing the effect it had on me. Last 3 days I have been suffering from gastritis. I had trouble breathing and my hands and feet were numb. My doctor gave me omeprazole and vitamin B12, after that I feel good. But I have problem when I eat spicy food, milk or papaya. It triggers me also when I eat too much. All I have to do is to limit my food. I eat when I feel hungry. And I drink coconut water, yoghurt and more water.

Comment from: butterflyt23@gmail.c, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 01

I was just at the hospital ER this past Saturday for my gastritis. I was sitting by the pool when the upper part of my stomach started bubbling thinking I had to go to the bathroom. By the time I got into the house I was in so much pain. When this happens I start to get sick, pain goes around like a band through the upper back by shoulder blades. My stomach is so tender to touch, then I get sick a it relieves some of the pain. today I am still tender in my stomach, going to bathroom a lot. I hate getting these attacks, I never know when they are going to hit. it might be in 2 months or 6 months. I take protinix every evening before dinner. Maalox as needed and zantac every morning. Tums as needed. My stomach always seems to bother me. Plus I have acid reflex. Any advice on what type of diet I should be using. plan to see specialist again in a few weeks. I'm tired all the time.

Comment from: DLL, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: March 14

Twenty two years ago I was first diagnosed with Lyme. That is when my stomach problems began. It took many years for the illnesses to be treated because I had so much trouble finding a doctor to test me and treat me. The gastritis would cause heart attack symptoms, so I often went to the emergency room and was not treated well. Seven years ago I was re-infected. This time it only took a year to get treatment from a doctor. I was diagnosed with Lyme and bartonella. The gastritis kept getting more and more severe and debilitating. I am currently being treated just for bartonella with some improvement. I am sharing this so others can benefit from my years of misdiagnosis. Wish me luck!

Comment from: Kalyani, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 20

I have burning pain in stomach, diarrhea, rectal burning and nausea.

Comment from: cardinal, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: October 31

I have had gastritis for years. Recently I had an EGD (esophagogastroduodenoscopy) and got the diagnosis. I have pain with bloating and lots of gas and there are so many foods I cannot eat anymore.

Comment from: cgmikey, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 31

I have been taking Advil regularly for severe dental pain while I wait to have a root canal because I couldn't tolerate the Tylenol 3s at work. I was up all night with severe epigastric pain, gas and nausea. I have been taking Advil every day every 4 hours to manage the tooth pain. I realize I have to stop the Advil immediately and deal with the side effects of the Tylenol 3s.

Gastritis - Describe Your Experience Question: Please describe your experience with gastritis.
Gastritis - Causes Question: If known, what was the cause of your gastritis? Did you go to a doctor?
Gastritis - Diagnosis Question: What types of exams or tests led to a diagnosis of gastritis? If you had an endoscopy, please describe the procedure.
Gastritis - OTC and Prescription Medications Question: What types of treatment, including medications, did you receive for gastritis?
Gastritis - Experience Question: Please share your experience with acute or chronic gastritis.
Gastritis - Causes Question: If known, what was the cause of your gastritis?
Gastritis - Diet to Sooth Symptoms Question: What foods have you found help sooth or treat your gastritis/