Patient Comments: Gastritis - Symptoms and Signs

What symptoms and signs did you experience with your gastritis?

Comment from: Mare, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 09

Mine started as a pain after meals, then at nite when i lay down to sleep it literally feels like contractions in my upper stomach. The pain the next day after an attack is not as bad but feels like my stomach did a workout, sore. I'm taking prilosec and protonix with some pepto as well. This is a horrible feeling and i don't wish it on anyone.

Comment from: mary51, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 18

My gastritis starts with increasing frequency of bowel movements until every time I eat something I have to run to the bathroom. It gets so bad I am afraid to eat. My upper abdomen is a little tender and feels inflamed inside. I am also very tired. I found out this time that I had h-pylori but even after taking the antibiotics my diarrhea continued for a month afterward. It is just slowing down after three months.

Published: March 19

I went to the emergency room last week and was kept overnight for testing because they thought I was having a heart attack. I did not think that was the problem since I have acid reflux and lots of gas off and on. The doc did an endoscopy of my stomach and took a biopsy and said it was gastritis. Now I'm waiting for test results. Meanwhile, I'm taking Maalox, Tums, baking soda with water and Prilosec (which I have already taken for over a year). My pain is almost always between my shoulder blades and sometimes my chest. I eat small meals but it does not seem to help. Sometimes I can eat with no problems and other times, like now, I am in a lot of pain. Go figure!

Comment from: angieo19, 35-44 (Patient) Published: July 12

My experience with gastritis is that I feel fatigue tire and is like a empty feeling my legs are sore and I feel my body so hot sometimes that I think I have inflammation inside my kidney because I have a kidney problem but no it is because of gastritis.

Comment from: rita, 65-74 Female Published: May 03

I get severe pain in my upper abdomen that lasts for hours, almost like contractions, I am always on the toilet and my stomach is so hot to the touch. I also have IBS, which to me r the same symptoms, I do notice when I eat a little but often that it does help, I am 65 years old and so sick of this feeling. I have it right now, I drink Mylanta, take Gas-X and now I have Zantac. I hope I don't medicate myself too much; I also take sleeping aid at night. I am not a pill popper; I am so desperate to take something to kill the pain. I have it for two full days now, when it finally leaves, it won't return for another few months, o-boy-I can't wait, is there a miracle out there for me.

Comment from: Fire, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: January 26

My "gastritis" starts with a cramp and nausea, the cramp escalates to a pain that is so unbearable it feels like there is a serrated edge knife in my stomach and my stomach is rubbing against the knife. Along with that vomiting and excessive bile movement.

Comment from: Queenie, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: April 18

I was diagnosed with gastritis yesterday after my doctor told me the lining of my stomach is showing erosion. He has not mentioned ulcers being detected as yet. He sent away a sample to be tested. I received a general pamphlet on what I should not eat or drink, but I am wondering if there could be something specific in my diet or drinking that could have caused this. I have been on a three day fat flush diet for over six months. The base is ground beef, vegetable juice, and spices. I take it twice a day. Could that have been a problem? I do not drink alcohol when I am on the diet, however I usually drink wine two or three days a week. Could the wine have caused this erosion?

Gastritis - Describe Your Experience Question: Please describe your experience with gastritis.
Gastritis - Causes Question: If known, what was the cause of your gastritis? Did you go to a doctor?
Gastritis - Diagnosis Question: What types of exams or tests led to a diagnosis of gastritis? If you had an endoscopy, please describe the procedure.
Gastritis - Treatment Question: What types of treatment, including medications, did you receive for gastritis?