Patient Comments: Gastritis - Symptoms and Signs

What symptoms and signs did you experience with your gastritis?

Comment from: butterflyt23@gmail.c, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 01

I was just at the hospital ER this past Saturday for my gastritis. I was sitting by the pool when the upper part of my stomach started bubbling thinking I had to go to the bathroom. By the time I got into the house I was in so much pain. When this happens I start to get sick, pain goes around like a band through the upper back by shoulder blades. My stomach is so tender to touch, then I get sick a it relieves some of the pain. today I am still tender in my stomach, going to bathroom a lot. I hate getting these attacks, I never know when they are going to hit. it might be in 2 months or 6 months. I take protinix every evening before dinner. Maalox as needed and zantac every morning. Tums as needed. My stomach always seems to bother me. Plus I have acid reflex. Any advice on what type of diet I should be using. plan to see specialist again in a few weeks. I'm tired all the time.

Comment from: Kalyani, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 20

I have burning pain in stomach, diarrhea, rectal burning and nausea.

Comment from: cardinal, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: October 31

I have had gastritis for years. Recently I had an EGD (esophagogastroduodenoscopy) and got the diagnosis. I have pain with bloating and lots of gas and there are so many foods I cannot eat anymore.

Comment from: cgmikey, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 31

I have been taking Advil regularly for severe dental pain while I wait to have a root canal because I couldn't tolerate the Tylenol 3s at work. I was up all night with severe epigastric pain, gas and nausea. I have been taking Advil every day every 4 hours to manage the tooth pain. I realize I have to stop the Advil immediately and deal with the side effects of the Tylenol 3s.

Comment from: Donmomgram, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 05

Gastritis is a brand new diagnosis for me. After losing 110 pounds over two years, I thought I was dealing with gastroparesis. I was under the care of a very poor gastroenterologist and had a tremendous amount of pain in my stomach, nausea, no appetite, and diarrhea. I continued losing weight and felt terrible. I found a new gastroenterologist who did a gastric-emptying study, ruling out gastroparesis. Finally, an esophagogastroduodenoscopy (EGD) led to a new diagnosis of gastritis and I was started on proton-pump inhibitors (PPIs). We'll see where I go from here.

Comment from: patrickajijic, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: February 08

For several years, I experienced excessive gas bloat relieved by forcing myself to belch a significant amount of gas. I had no pain or symptoms of GI distress. I have been under a lot of stress recently and noticed skipped heart beats. Being a nurse, I attributed this to trapped gas affecting the vagus nerve. My MD performed endoscopy and, to my surprise, diagnosed erosive gastritis and esophagitis. After a month of carafate and Prevacid, and of course dietary changes, my symptoms have cleared.

Comment from: brezzy, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 01

I am having a lot of gas and a bloated felling in my stomach and also at the same time I get a felling of something crawling in my stomach face neck and other areas at times. As well as lots of belching and an airy feeling in my ear.

Comment from: Martin, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: January 07

I was having these stomach pains for several weeks on end, I went to work and was in agony. My friends and colleagues were concerned as I was in so much pain and could hardly walk or stand up straight. As the days went on the worse it got. I kept going to Doctors and all they kept doing was feeling my tummy on the examination table and sending me off with all kinds of different medications. Over time I wasn't getting any better. On a Saturday morning I was due to start work at 8:00 am and I was still in bed at 7:30am. Mom came in saying, You do realize you have work in half an hour? I was like, I know but I'm in pain and I can't move. I got up and struggled to get ready. I got to work at 8:15 am and my colleagues were worried about me. I looked pale and they could see I was in pain. I almost collapsed in the staff room upstairs. Just before 9:00 am the Duty Manager sent me home with a first aider in case I collapsed on the way home. A couple of days later I went back to the Doctors. And I was 10 minutes late for appointment, as no one was available to take me and I struggled to walk to the next town, half an hour away where my Doctors is. When I get to the Doctors office I collapsed in the chair, she was astonished that I had walked all the way from my home town the way I was doubled over. I was taken to hospital that same day. It took them 4 days before they finally found out I had gastritis. I was so relieved to finally find out the problem after weeks on end of not knowing. I also have coeliac disease and psoriasis, so don't know if this triggered gastritis?

Gastritis - Describe Your Experience Question: Please describe your experience with gastritis.
Gastritis - Causes Question: If known, what was the cause of your gastritis? Did you go to a doctor?
Gastritis - Diagnosis Question: What types of exams or tests led to a diagnosis of gastritis? If you had an endoscopy, please describe the procedure.
Gastritis - Treatment Question: What types of treatment, including medications, did you receive for gastritis?