Patient Comments: Gastritis - Symptoms and Signs

What symptoms and signs did you experience with your gastritis?

Comment from: Hippiechick, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 23

In 2011 my stomach started burning (in upper part of stomach), and I had gurgling, bloating, gas, burping and diarrhea, and fatigue. In 2000 I had GERD surgery and was doing well until 2011. I also had my gall bladder removed in 2000. My stomach hurt so badly I went to my family doctor and was put on 60 mg of Dexilant, 1 pill a day. It helped for about a year, then another flare-up. So a colonoscopy and endoscopy were ordered. I had several stool tests, which were all negative. Biopsies were taken to check for H. pylori, diverticulitis, colitis, and celiac disease. All were negative. I was told I have chronic gastritis. I break out with sores every time I have a gastritis flare-up. They start as blisters that itch, then break causing an open wound that is very sore and deep. They scab over and last for weeks! They look terrible. I wonder if anyone else gets sores with gastritis or if this is another issue. I've never had breakouts, even as a teenager until I was diagnosed with gastritis 2 years ago. I've been having a flare-up for the last 5 to 6 weeks now. I get so tired of not feeling good! A new doctor just put me on colestipol 1 gm twice a day to bring the bile from my gall bladder removal. Hopefully this will help! I have been on it for only 4 days.

Comment from: srt123, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: July 22

I have been diagnosed with chronic gastritis after an endoscopy. My pain began as a sharp stabbing feeling in the upper left abdomen (a pain even after all I have done still exists), this pain slowly progressed to a swelling in the pancreatic area. After so many tests and theories the diagnosis came as a shock. I was given Prilosec to help the healing process, but I was instructed to change my diet; no gluten or dairy. It had helped but I still experience stabbing pain, burning when I'm hungry, and vomiting when I wait too long to eat once symptoms start. I am told changing the diet gives the stomach a chance to start it's healing, after the pain subsides I am free to reintroduce foods. I will not lie, the pain is still there, and next to the gastritis I feel I am still lacking a proper diagnosis for the swelling, and stabbing pain in my upper abdomen even if the tests revealed that everything there is normal.

Comment from: Sam, Female (Patient) Published: July 08

It all started with a dull/cramping pain in upper right abdomen. This lasted 3 days and on the 4th day I got this agonizing tearing pain that came on suddenly and kept getting worse. I was taken to the emergency room (ER) by my parents as the pain was so bad I couldn't bear it. They gave me a few shots of different things (pain killer, Buscopan, and IV fluids). That helped ease the pain. About 6 hours after being released and having a small dinner, (1 hour later) the pain came back even stronger. I was on my knees pulling my hair. My parents rushed me to the ER again. It is by far the worst pain I have felt in my life (and I have been in the ER and had surgeries for different things before). They tried to give me a mild pain killer and Buscopan but I couldn't take the pain still and was given morphine. The ER doctor ordered a few tests. The ultrasound was clear, blood tests clear, but abdominal x-ray showed severe constipation. I was given an enema and laxatives. He dismissed it as gastritis and an ulcer and I was put on Nexium 40 mg for 30 days. Though Nexium has helped, I got another attack after eating a bigger meal with what I now know are irritating foods (like salads). I am going back to a gastroenterologist to get an endoscopy and hope I will get a proper diagnosis and start healing properly. I wish everyone good health.

Comment from: spacee, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 22

I have Barrett's esophagus, and went to the emergency room with severe upper abdominal pain. The doctor couldn"t find anything wrong, blood tests, etc. I went to the gastroenterologist yesterday, for having endoscopy, which I have due to the Barrett's, every year. When you have a flare up of gastritis, spinach, pineapple, salmon, and almonds take the pain away. It is imperative to eat small meals, avoid spicy food, alcohol, and caffeine. I take 4 Prilosec a day and Carafate. I had a bleeding ulcer last year. Doctor wants to check me out to control it better. I know terrible pain, eating those 4 foods will take the pain away immediately. Good Luck everyone. I will repost after my test.

Comment from: PHILI, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: March 11

I have suffered from a burning stomach, throat, burping and passing of gas since 2011 and have been to more than 6 doctors. Two of them said I suffer from acid reflux. Then I was prescribed Nexium 40mg which did not help much, until last year when I was referred to gastroenterologists where I did my endoscopy and nodular gastritis was found. I am currently taking omeprazole which seem to be working for me, but lately I have noticed that whenever I take something with cow milk I get that burning sensation, I could be lactose intolerant as well.

Gastritis - Describe Your Experience Question: Please describe your experience with gastritis.
Gastritis - Causes Question: If known, what was the cause of your gastritis? Did you go to a doctor?
Gastritis - Diagnosis Question: What types of exams or tests led to a diagnosis of gastritis? If you had an endoscopy, please describe the procedure.
Gastritis - OTC and Prescription Medications Question: What types of treatment, including medications, did you receive for gastritis?
Gastritis - Experience Question: Please share your experience with acute or chronic gastritis.
Gastritis - Causes Question: If known, what was the cause of your gastritis?
Gastritis - Diet to Sooth Symptoms Question: What foods have you found help sooth or treat your gastritis/