Patient Comments: Gastritis - Symptoms and Signs

What symptoms and signs did you experience with your gastritis?

Comment from: DLL, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: March 14

Twenty two years ago I was first diagnosed with Lyme. That is when my stomach problems began. It took many years for the illnesses to be treated because I had so much trouble finding a doctor to test me and treat me. The gastritis would cause heart attack symptoms, so I often went to the emergency room and was not treated well. Seven years ago I was re-infected. This time it only took a year to get treatment from a doctor. I was diagnosed with Lyme and bartonella. The gastritis kept getting more and more severe and debilitating. I am currently being treated just for bartonella with some improvement. I am sharing this so others can benefit from my years of misdiagnosis. Wish me luck!

Comment from: gastritisgirl29, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: March 06

I just started taking the omeprazole (I think it's the same as Prilosec) for my gastritis by orders of my gastroenterologist and I find that I am way more gassy than usual after eating now. So annoying because I already had that problem and now it is worse.

Comment from: Kittycatkara, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: February 26

I have chronic gastritis caused from excessive alcohol use. I am 25 years old and was just recently hospitalized for 5 days after a night of drinking. I find that clean eating and no longer drinking any alcohol helps my stomach. I no longer eat spicy foods, fried foods, or processed foods. I try and eat at least 5 times a day. I can only also eat a small amount at a time because sometimes I feel sick to my stomach if I eat too much in one sitting. It has definitely changed my life for the better. I don"t have any flare ups. I stick with clean eating, it makes me feel great!

Comment from: ciarajacksonville24, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: October 28

I was diagnosed with Gastritis in the emergency room about 4 and a half weeks ago. Since then they gave me medication but off and on for about 3 weeks afterword I still had stomach pain, nausea, bloating, diarrhea and constipation. Since I left the emergency room I was only on Prilosec and they doubled my prescription and decided I should have a colonoscopy because of the symptoms. I decided I won't go that far, I'll go see a specialist who can actually tell me about gastritis. After they had me detoxify (prepping for the colonoscopy) I haven't had nearly as much stomach pain and have been able to tolerate some foods I normally wouldn't. Although, I haven't had nearly as severe of symptoms, just some stomach pressure and pain after eating a normal amount of food.

Comment from: PinkRoxy, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 18

I am 25 years old and have been a heavy drinker since before I was even old enough to drink. Now I do not drink but only on occasions but am still a cigarette smoker and one coffee a day drinker. I know all three are bad. I am trying to stop all of it because after my endoscopy I was diagnosed with Gastritis and the pain is unbelievable. I wake up at night with the worst chest pain under my bust. I vomit this disgusting tasting liquid if I eat anything after 6 PM. This usually wakes me up around 1 AM. If I try to ignore it I am spending my entire morning in agonizing pain and vomiting. Antacids do not help me.

Comment from: dudica, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: November 22

Since 2007 I've developed a pain in the upper left part of my tummy, that moves along to my left leg. The movement also goes to my back side, the pain really continued up to my cerebral headache. I've been treated, given many pain killers, done x-rays and G-scope but nothing was found. Currently this year the doctor found out that I am a gastritis patient, caused by a heavy load of H-pylori.

Comment from: Chikastika, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: November 14

I love coffee so much that I take 3 times a day, not knowing the effect it had on me. Last 3 days I have been suffering from gastritis. I had trouble breathing and my hands and feet were numb. My doctor gave me omeprazole and vitamin B12, after that I feel good. But I have problem when I eat spicy food, milk or papaya. It triggers me also when I eat too much. All I have to do is to limit my food. I eat when I feel hungry. And I drink coconut water, yoghurt and more water.

Gastritis - Describe Your Experience Question: Please describe your experience with gastritis.
Gastritis - Causes Question: If known, what was the cause of your gastritis? Did you go to a doctor?
Gastritis - Diagnosis Question: What types of exams or tests led to a diagnosis of gastritis? If you had an endoscopy, please describe the procedure.
Gastritis - Treatment Question: What types of treatment, including medications, did you receive for gastritis?