Patient Comments: Gastritis - Symptoms and Signs

What symptoms and signs did you experience with your gastritis?

Comment from: Johnson, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: March 06

I have pain in throat and upper collar bone area, it is more like a burning sensation. I wonder if it is gastritis.

Comment from: DonnaC, 45-54 Male (Caregiver) Published: March 01

My husband has gastritis going on 3 months. He has been on and off omeprazole which gave him bad back pain, was also on probiotics which could have made it worse. We ordered pine nut oil, I wonder if anyone had luck with this. I am thinking about slippery elm and licorice also.

Comment from: Marmstrong001, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 26

I have been recently diagnosed with esophagus ulcer, plus gastritis of stomach.

Comment from: Eli, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: May 25

I have a WBC in urinalysis of 61-65/HPF. I wonder if it means I have a kidney problem.

Comment from: Hippiechick, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 23

In 2011 my stomach started burning (in upper part of stomach), and I had gurgling, bloating, gas, burping and diarrhea, and fatigue. In 2000 I had GERD surgery and was doing well until 2011. I also had my gall bladder removed in 2000. My stomach hurt so badly I went to my family doctor and was put on 60 mg of Dexilant, 1 pill a day. It helped for about a year, then another flare-up. So a colonoscopy and endoscopy were ordered. I had several stool tests, which were all negative. Biopsies were taken to check for H. pylori, diverticulitis, colitis, and celiac disease. All were negative. I was told I have chronic gastritis. I break out with sores every time I have a gastritis flare-up. They start as blisters that itch, then break causing an open wound that is very sore and deep. They scab over and last for weeks! They look terrible. I wonder if anyone else gets sores with gastritis or if this is another issue. I've never had breakouts, even as a teenager until I was diagnosed with gastritis 2 years ago. I've been having a flare-up for the last 5 to 6 weeks now. I get so tired of not feeling good! A new doctor just put me on colestipol 1 gm twice a day to bring the bile from my gall bladder removal. Hopefully this will help! I have been on it for only 4 days.

Comment from: srt123, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: July 22

I have been diagnosed with chronic gastritis after an endoscopy. My pain began as a sharp stabbing feeling in the upper left abdomen (a pain even after all I have done still exists), this pain slowly progressed to a swelling in the pancreatic area. After so many tests and theories the diagnosis came as a shock. I was given Prilosec to help the healing process, but I was instructed to change my diet; no gluten or dairy. It had helped but I still experience stabbing pain, burning when I'm hungry, and vomiting when I wait too long to eat once symptoms start. I am told changing the diet gives the stomach a chance to start it's healing, after the pain subsides I am free to reintroduce foods. I will not lie, the pain is still there, and next to the gastritis I feel I am still lacking a proper diagnosis for the swelling, and stabbing pain in my upper abdomen even if the tests revealed that everything there is normal.

Gastritis - Describe Your Experience Question: Please describe your experience with gastritis.
Gastritis - Causes Question: If known, what was the cause of your gastritis? Did you go to a doctor?
Gastritis - Diagnosis Question: What types of exams or tests led to a diagnosis of gastritis? If you had an endoscopy, please describe the procedure.
Gastritis - OTC and Prescription Medications Question: What types of treatment, including medications, did you receive for gastritis?
Gastritis - Experience Question: Please share your experience with acute or chronic gastritis.
Gastritis - Causes Question: If known, what was the cause of your gastritis?
Gastritis - Diet to Sooth Symptoms Question: What foods have you found help sooth or treat your gastritis/