Patient Comments: Gastritis - OTC and Prescription Medications

What types of treatment, including medications, did you receive for gastritis?

Comment from: patyanne, Male (Caregiver) Published: September 29

My husband has had a couple of severe gastritis attacks at night. I thought he was dying and having a heart attack. The amount of gas he was bringing up was enormous and it lasted about half an hour and he was in a lot of pain. But after having bicarbonate in water and an aspirin the symptoms subsided. He chooses not to go to a doctor. He had a couple of beers with his dinner before the last attack. He takes blood pressure tablets.

Comment from: Chad, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: September 15

After stent placement 8 years ago I was put on low dose aspirin. Then I started having digestive issues; diarrhea, epigastric pain, and indigestion. Doctors could not diagnose the cause. I was tested for H. pylori, gallbladder, pancreatitis, lactose intolerance, Crohn's, IBS (irritable bowel syndrome), celiac and had 3 colonoscopies. All negative. I had 8 months of pain, malabsorption and weight loss (25 lb.). During this time I took many NSAIDs because the doctors would not give me painkillers. I found out later this just made my condition worse. Finally I had an endoscopy and gastritis/duodenitis was the diagnosis and I was prescribed 40 mg omeprazole. I felt good almost immediately. After 2 years I was feeling pretty good and quit taking pills. I thought I was cured. But after 3 weeks symptoms returned. Now I am on Protonix 40 mg and don't think I'll ever be 'normal' again. Much of what I have read says that these problems usually disappear within weeks/months of beginning PPIs (proton-pump inhibitors). Not for me.

Comment from: teenymeany, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 07

I have gastritis and esophagitis, I had an endoscopy done about 2 years ago. I was prescribed Nexium but my insurance wouldn't pay for it so I bought OTC omeprazole which I used for a month or so. My pain went away but now it has returned. I now just take simethicone and antacids which help some but I'm wondering if I should start taking a proton pump inhibitor again. I tried H2 blocker (ranitidine) but with little to no relief. I went to a new doctor and he said he doesn't think my bloating and pain are caused from the gastritis but thinks I have IBS, I don't agree. My main problem is the gas and being able to release it, simethicone helps but I still think there should be something else I can do.

Comment from: lily, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 21

I have been diagnosed with gastritis, no ulcers. I had a scope done and it was negative for Helicobacter pylori. I rarely use pain NSAIDS, I don't smoke, and only drink alcohol occasionally. I was on antibiotics in mid-February.

Gastritis - Describe Your Experience Question: Please describe your experience with gastritis.
Gastritis - Symptoms and Signs Question: What symptoms and signs did you experience with your gastritis?
Gastritis - Causes Question: If known, what was the cause of your gastritis? Did you go to a doctor?
Gastritis - Diagnosis Question: What types of exams or tests led to a diagnosis of gastritis? If you had an endoscopy, please describe the procedure.
Gastritis - Experience Question: Please share your experience with acute or chronic gastritis.
Gastritis - Causes Question: If known, what was the cause of your gastritis?
Gastritis - Symptoms Question: What symptoms did you have with gastritis?
Gastritis - Diet to Sooth Symptoms Question: What foods have you found help sooth or treat your gastritis/