Patient Comments: Gastritis - Causes

If known, what was the cause of your gastritis? Did you go to a doctor?

Comment from: cshep, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: November 21

The cause was ibuprofen. A prescription for it was given to me by the emergency room doctor for back pain which turned out to be gallstones. I did have an endoscopy done to confirm what I was dealing with was chronic gastritis. It is awful and it all could have been avoided had proper testing been done in the emergency room. There should be more awareness regarding NSAIDS and their side effects. It's been almost two years I'm on Nexium and I still have symptoms and probably always will based on what my gastroenterologist says.

Comment from: Kenz, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: May 21

Well, the known cause for gastritis in my case was that I don"t eat meals properly. I pass meals and stay hungry without anything for hours. Sometimes I eat at 2 or 3 in the afternoon for the whole day. I had this in the past and some over the counter medication eased the pain. Also I couldn"t get up, my stomach hurt really bad and then my sister asked me to drink a glass of soda and it kind of soothed the pain too!

Comment from: AD, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 18

Stress and foolishness on my part caused the whole problem. When I get upset I have a tendency not to want to eat. Well, I got upset back in April and did not eat for 2 days which caused my blood sugar to drop severely which sent my body into panic mode until I ate. That panic mode caused extreme acid production and inflammation, not eating also contributed to the acid production. Stress can cause gastritis very easily and not eating can too. I am very fearful now of not eating and even when I get down or upset I will now eat. It was a lesson I learned the hard way to never go without eating! It's not worth the pain and doctor bills. Since that episode back in April, I find if I eat acidic foods, candy, spicy items, citrus, dairy or coffee, the gastritis will flare up and make me sick for weeks. Letting myself get hungry also causes it to flare up.

Gastritis - Describe Your Experience Question: Please describe your experience with gastritis.
Gastritis - Symptoms and Signs Question: What symptoms and signs did you experience with your gastritis?
Gastritis - Diagnosis Question: What types of exams or tests led to a diagnosis of gastritis? If you had an endoscopy, please describe the procedure.
Gastritis - Treatment Question: What types of treatment, including medications, did you receive for gastritis?