Patient Comments: Gastritis - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with gastritis.

Comment from: Jvc, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 17

I have been diagnosed with gastritis several years now. Mostly it is a mild pain in central chest, around bra-line, both sides. About a month ago I woke up with what I can only describe as screaming pain on my upper right rib. Neither Aleve nor Advil gave me any relief. It would ease up, then I would have it again in a day or two. Then it became almost every day. I also had a breakout of 5 lesions on my back, which we thought were just bug bites. When I called my doctor she thought it could be shingles, which made sense. But when I saw her, she said the breakouts were atypical for shingles. She put me on gabapentin for nerve pain treatment, and I just underwent a chest x-ray and sonogram of the abdomen. The technician said I would probably need an endoscopy to rule out stones in the ducts. The pain has dulled on the right side, but I am feeling the gastritis symptoms across my chest more. I have to call the doctor since I haven't heard from her.

Comment from: Mike, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: May 02

Like one or two others I have both gastritis and diverticulitis. My stomach is permanently swollen and after a small meal I feel like I'm going to burst. It's hard to find foods that my stomach does not react to but soft foods like porridge, scrambled eggs, soup, and well cooked rice seem to be best. When at my worst I just have to stop eating and then naturally lose weight. I am almost constantly hungry. I take 30 mg lansoprazole each morning and 10 mg metoclopramide twice a day to help my stomach empty. All this follows 8 cycles of chemotherapy for non-Hodgkin's lymphoma which thankfully is quiet after eight years. Daily life is a torment as there is so much I would like to be able to do but I'm so tired all the time yet I find it difficult to stay asleep at night.

Comment from: Aviator, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: April 14

I too have gastritis and have suffered for about 5 years on and off. Recently I have had very sharp pains and gone on a bland diet. Aspirin was the cause of my gastritis and you must stop taking this. If you take it for medical reasons the doctor can prescribe something else for you, such as clopidogrel. Hope you feel better soon.

Comment from: kimmie, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 11

I have just been diagnosed with gastritis. I have had a lot of stomach pain for over a week now. I've ended up in the emergency room twice for this. I came home and researched it and have all the symptoms. I have a lot of itching with this.

Comment from: swekel9580, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: February 29

I have had gastritis for a little over a year now. I have had 2 upper endoscopies done, the last one was this past August. The upper endoscopies showed nothing but mild gastritis and I was put on 20 mg of Prilosec once in the morning and that has been for a year now. I recently went back to my gastroenterologist and he upped the dose to 40 mg once in the morning. It has been 3 weeks now and I really don't feel a difference. I am also taking 1 gm of Carafate 4 times a day which helps a little. But I am starting to get heart burn which is getting worse and I can feel it in my back and in my stomach. I heard that drugs like Prilosec are really bad for you and too little acid in your stomach can cause heartburn. I am going back to my gastroenterologist on March 9th to talk about this and possibly get another endoscopy to see what's going on and see if the gastritis is healed so I can get off of these drugs. I am scared to death of getting cancer. I am only 35 and I shouldn't have to deal with this. I am sure stress has a lot to do with what's happening to me but I can't help it, stress is in my genes. After my appointment I will let everyone know what's going on. Thanks for letting me rant.

Comment from: Jilly B., 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: June 29

I can feel quite hungry and have a bite and the feeling goes. Also I have been ok since May but I had an Indian and was so ill all night vomiting acid and burning my throat, so no more for me. I have to be very careful what I eat because of my gastritis.

Gastritis - Symptoms and Signs Question: What symptoms and signs did you experience with your gastritis?
Gastritis - Causes Question: If known, what was the cause of your gastritis? Did you go to a doctor?
Gastritis - Diagnosis Question: What types of exams or tests led to a diagnosis of gastritis? If you had an endoscopy, please describe the procedure.
Gastritis - OTC and Prescription Medications Question: What types of treatment, including medications, did you receive for gastritis?
Gastritis - Experience Question: Please share your experience with acute or chronic gastritis.
Gastritis - Causes Question: If known, what was the cause of your gastritis?
Gastritis - Diet to Sooth Symptoms Question: What foods have you found help sooth or treat your gastritis/