Patient Comments: Gastritis - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with gastritis.

Comment from: fungooleyruley, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 12

I was diagnosed with breast cancer in October 2012 and part of my treatment was radiation therapy. Not long after that I was diagnosed with gastritis after having an endoscopy and colonoscopy to work out what was causing my symptoms. I was prescribed Nexium which seemed to work for me and the symptoms subsided until last week. I also suffer from diverticulosis which has flared up into diverticulitis on two occasions, one being very recently, and subsequently I was hospitalized for IV antibiotic treatment for 48 hours. It's been a real roller coaster ride for me these past few years and now that the gastritis has once again reared its ugly head I will just have to try harder to avoid things that are causing it, like soft drinks. After all is said and done though, it would appear as though in my case the initial cause was the radiation treatment for the breast cancer. Life can sure be cruel sometimes!

Comment from: klc831stc, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: January 04

I had been severely nauseated and had flushed feeling for about a month. My symptoms took a turn for the worse when I didn't have a bowel movement for 6 days. The 6th day I had fever, shaking, chills, severe upper abdominal pain, bloating, uncontrollable vomiting and ended up in the emergency room. I was given two IV bags of fluid, morphine, and Dilaudid. They did an ultrasound and lab tests which showed my liver, pancreas and gallbladder were fine (I couldn't believe they were saying nothing was wrong). They ended up diagnosing me with gastritis. I do have a history of heavy NSAID use, and I used to drink quite a bit too. I was given omeprazole and famotidine for the acid, and Zofran for my nausea, and Tums. They also put me on a bland diet. I have seen some relief but not much, the diet is really hard, I still have the nausea daily, and my pain is better but still interrupts my daily life. I have bubbles of gas I can feel moving around constantly and I am so tired all the time. I would like to know what has worked for people because I wouldn't wish this on anyone.

Comment from: Candy, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: November 18

I had gastritis for over a month before I decided to seek treatment. I suffer extreme fatigue and weakness, stomach cramps and sharp pains, vomiting something acidic, severe nausea that never seems to end, and so many more fun problems. The doctor first tested me for some sort of bacterial infection, and when it came back negative she decided I have gastritis. She prescribed me to take a month's worth of Nexium. Let me tell you how well this has worked for me. I went to work after the doctor visit and by the end of my shift was miserable and running a fever. I took about five days off after that. On the third day of being back to work, I woke up feeling like somebody beat me up and down with a stick. The fourth day was beyond worse. My whole body hurt (it even hurt to breathe), and I was so weak I couldn't do much, had severe stomach pains, and I guess I looked like all around awful because work sent me home early. I began running a high fever and developed a migraine from my tight back muscles. Yesterday, I felt on the verge of death because of my migraine, my sore body, my overly sensitive skin, and the awful pain in my abdomen. It turns out side effects of this medicine are headaches, muscles aches, etc. I did not take a Nexium yesterday. Today, I still feel beyond awful and my migraine is looming in the background waiting for an opportunity to mess my world up again. I have been up since the dark this morning and am going to attempt to return to the doctor today. I don't know if I have been misdiagnosed or if (in my ignorance of this illness) I have made it worse through my diet and work. I just know that this is some of the worst pain I have ever been through and I have been through a miscarriage, uncountable migraines, and multiple lower body fractures that I acquired simultaneously. This pain leaves all those experiences in the dust.

Comment from: Miss P, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 03

Gastritis was horrendous. I was vomiting for 36 hours every 2 to 3 hours; all bile. It started off as a black color and ended up green both with black bits in. I was admitted to Accident and Emergency after 12 hours of vomiting. I even vomited in the hospital after taking anti-sickness medicines! Doctor diagnosed gastroenteritis. I was on a fluid and paracetamol drip for 2 hours before being discharged. I was sent home with anti-sickness tablets. After 2 days of no progress I went to the general physician. He diagnosed it as acute gastritis and gave me anti-acid tablets. I just got home, so have to wait and see.

Gastritis - Symptoms and Signs Question: What symptoms and signs did you experience with your gastritis?
Gastritis - Causes Question: If known, what was the cause of your gastritis? Did you go to a doctor?
Gastritis - Diagnosis Question: What types of exams or tests led to a diagnosis of gastritis? If you had an endoscopy, please describe the procedure.
Gastritis - OTC and Prescription Medications Question: What types of treatment, including medications, did you receive for gastritis?
Gastritis - Experience Question: Please share your experience with acute or chronic gastritis.
Gastritis - Causes Question: If known, what was the cause of your gastritis?
Gastritis - Symptoms Question: What symptoms did you have with gastritis?
Gastritis - Diet to Sooth Symptoms Question: What foods have you found help sooth or treat your gastritis/