Patient Comments: Gastritis - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with gastritis.

Comment from: h pylori, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 11

I have had gastritis because of Helicobacter pylori for 3 years. I cannot get rid of it, as it is antibiotic resistant. Cancer runs in my family including stomach, lung, skin, and prostate.

Comment from: Aneroph, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: July 06

I have been suffering from heartburn since I was 16 years old and I have had 6 acute gastritis attacks in my life. It is the worst pain I have ever felt in my life. Eight hours of walking back and forth in my apartment muttering nonsense to myself while holding my chest and contemplating calling 911. The first time it happened I thought it was a heart attack because of the severe pain in the middle of my chest, but after a few hours it seemed to pass like it was never there. The next few times the duration of the pain increased drastically, lasting anywhere from 8 to 12 hours of extremely severe pain, nausea, and shortness of breath. I never had any vomiting or bowel issues. The last time it happened I leaned over the sink holding my chest and trying to catch my breath and I ended up passing out for a minute on the kitchen floor. The pain lasted 2 weeks, although, after the first 8 hours it dulled enough for me to be a functioning human again. I have not been to a doctor and have not had another attack in over 5 years, but it always seems to happen when I eat chicken. Not all chicken, just a few strange brands. I hope I never have to deal with that pain ever again.

Comment from: SteveK61, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: March 28

If you are diagnosed with gastritis do not accept that you have to live with it like my doctors told me! I lost 22 pounds in six weeks. My family physician thought it was acid reflux and put me on proton pump inhibitors (PPI) which helped a little but not much. It turned out it was all caused by my gallbladder not working right. My gallbladder was operating at 10 percent, but because I didn't have gall stones they did not think that was the issue until I had a HIDA scan ten months later. After my gall bladder was removed most symptoms went away, but not all of them. That was because the PPI they gave me caused small intestinal bacterial overgrowth, SIBO. After I was treated for that I am back to normal eating what I am with little or no symptoms. Go to a University Hospital and get a referral! Do not give up. It took 19 months but what a relief.

Comment from: Jvc, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 17

I have been diagnosed with gastritis several years now. Mostly it is a mild pain in central chest, around bra-line, both sides. About a month ago I woke up with what I can only describe as screaming pain on my upper right rib. Neither Aleve nor Advil gave me any relief. It would ease up, then I would have it again in a day or two. Then it became almost every day. I also had a breakout of 5 lesions on my back, which we thought were just bug bites. When I called my doctor she thought it could be shingles, which made sense. But when I saw her, she said the breakouts were atypical for shingles. She put me on gabapentin for nerve pain treatment, and I just underwent a chest x-ray and sonogram of the abdomen. The technician said I would probably need an endoscopy to rule out stones in the ducts. The pain has dulled on the right side, but I am feeling the gastritis symptoms across my chest more. I have to call the doctor since I haven't heard from her.

Gastritis - Symptoms and Signs Question: What symptoms and signs did you experience with your gastritis?
Gastritis - Causes Question: If known, what was the cause of your gastritis? Did you go to a doctor?
Gastritis - Diagnosis Question: What types of exams or tests led to a diagnosis of gastritis? If you had an endoscopy, please describe the procedure.
Gastritis - OTC and Prescription Medications Question: What types of treatment, including medications, did you receive for gastritis?
Gastritis - Experience Question: Please share your experience with acute or chronic gastritis.
Gastritis - Causes Question: If known, what was the cause of your gastritis?
Gastritis - Diet to Sooth Symptoms Question: What foods have you found help sooth or treat your gastritis/