Patient Comments: Gastritis - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with gastritis.

Comment from: Candy, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: November 18

I had gastritis for over a month before I decided to seek treatment. I suffer extreme fatigue and weakness, stomach cramps and sharp pains, vomiting something acidic, severe nausea that never seems to end, and so many more fun problems. The doctor first tested me for some sort of bacterial infection, and when it came back negative she decided I have gastritis. She prescribed me to take a month's worth of Nexium. Let me tell you how well this has worked for me. I went to work after the doctor visit and by the end of my shift was miserable and running a fever. I took about five days off after that. On the third day of being back to work, I woke up feeling like somebody beat me up and down with a stick. The fourth day was beyond worse. My whole body hurt (it even hurt to breathe), and I was so weak I couldn't do much, had severe stomach pains, and I guess I looked like all around awful because work sent me home early. I began running a high fever and developed a migraine from my tight back muscles. Yesterday, I felt on the verge of death because of my migraine, my sore body, my overly sensitive skin, and the awful pain in my abdomen. It turns out side effects of this medicine are headaches, muscles aches, etc. I did not take a Nexium yesterday. Today, I still feel beyond awful and my migraine is looming in the background waiting for an opportunity to mess my world up again. I have been up since the dark this morning and am going to attempt to return to the doctor today. I don't know if I have been misdiagnosed or if (in my ignorance of this illness) I have made it worse through my diet and work. I just know that this is some of the worst pain I have ever been through and I have been through a miscarriage, uncountable migraines, and multiple lower body fractures that I acquired simultaneously. This pain leaves all those experiences in the dust.

Comment from: Miss P, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 03

Gastritis was horrendous. I was vomiting for 36 hours every 2 to 3 hours; all bile. It started off as a black color and ended up green both with black bits in. I was admitted to Accident and Emergency after 12 hours of vomiting. I even vomited in the hospital after taking anti-sickness medicines! Doctor diagnosed gastroenteritis. I was on a fluid and paracetamol drip for 2 hours before being discharged. I was sent home with anti-sickness tablets. After 2 days of no progress I went to the general physician. He diagnosed it as acute gastritis and gave me anti-acid tablets. I just got home, so have to wait and see.

Comment from: mommaof3, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 15

I had my first bout of gastritis about a month ago which found me in the emergency room. I thought it was my gallbladder because of the pain and location. All tests came back normal and an ultrasound found my liver and gallbladder in good condition. The doctor prescribed Percocet and antacid relief. The attacks are extreme pain in the upper abdominal area and into the back, vomiting, loose bowels, and mine brings on an extreme anxiety attack. Avoiding alcohol, heavy meals, and lots of caffeine tends to help. Once an attack starts there is no turning back. It takes me 3 days to recover from an attack. I'm considering the GAPS diet, which is extremely difficult, but I know it will mend my digestive system. Probiotics and digestive enzymes have also helped my condition.

Comment from: catlady4, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 04

I too have gastritis, and have had 2 bad attacks in the last week. Pain so severe I can't function, gas that seems to get caught in my throat, and wanting to throw up but can't. My stomach gets bloated and hard. Right now I am afraid to eat at all. I am on ranitidine because I have severe side effects to the -prazole medications. I take 81 mg of aspirin daily and wondering if I should stop it. This is no picnic, wish they would find a better cure.

Comment from: Jiweeon, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: March 26

I am 28 years old and have been suffering from heartburn since I was 17 years old. A few days ago, I was at work and felt fine. Suddenly, after finishing my cup of coffee, what felt like the worst heartburn ever came on. Being used to the pain of heartburn, I thought I would just wait it out and eventually it would go away. This time it was different, an unbearable amount of pain began to radiate from the center of my stomach (about two inches above my belly button). It just got worse and worse. I could barely walk and I wanted pass out from the pain. I was short of breath and nauseas. It was by far the worst pain I have ever experienced. No position helped the pain and after I couldn't take it anymore we went to the emergency room. They eventually gave me a dose of Dilaudid, which didn't seem to help the pain, but helped me to relax. They finally diagnosed me with gastritis and sent me home with Prevacid and Vicodin. I am still awaiting an appointment with a gastroenterologist. It is nice to hear I'm not the only one who has experienced this excruciating pain.

Gastritis - Symptoms and Signs Question: What symptoms and signs did you experience with your gastritis?
Gastritis - Causes Question: If known, what was the cause of your gastritis? Did you go to a doctor?
Gastritis - Diagnosis Question: What types of exams or tests led to a diagnosis of gastritis? If you had an endoscopy, please describe the procedure.
Gastritis - OTC and Prescription Medications Question: What types of treatment, including medications, did you receive for gastritis?
Gastritis - Experience Question: Please share your experience with acute or chronic gastritis.
Gastritis - Causes Question: If known, what was the cause of your gastritis?
Gastritis - Symptoms Question: What symptoms did you have with gastritis?
Gastritis - Diet to Sooth Symptoms Question: What foods have you found help sooth or treat your gastritis/