Patient Comments: Gastritis - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with gastritis.

Comment from: Sully, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: June 05

I too suffer from gastritis and colitis after years of taking meloxicam and other NSAIDS. Although not a cure all, I have found that eating quinoa in a morning egg casserole has helped me immensely. I stumbled on this as an aid when trying to add more nutrition to my diet through good eating. It keeps my bowel movements totally regular, since irregularity was another major issue from my diagnosis. Now my flare-ups are more associated with the gastritis pain. Just google quinoa egg breakfast casserole for a recipe. When in a flare-up, I make my morning casserole without the veggies. I have grown to love quinoa.

Comment from: Marichold, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 22

I have had chronic gastritis for about seven years. During an attack I am in absolute agony and cannot function. I was admitted to hospital the first time I had an attack, doctors suspected gallstones but gastroscopy showed gastritis. For some reason I was told I had gastritis but not that the agonizing attacks were the result so I had no idea what was wrong! It was another four years before another doctor said "that sounds like gastritis". Since then I have been taking lansoprazole every day. Last summer I was told to double the dose as I was having one attack after another. I was to go back to one dose after about two weeks if I could tolerate it. I still can"t! Despite a year of double doses I still have frequent horrendous attacks. Medical profession isn"t interested. My current record during an attack is 43 Buscopan tablets! If anyone has any advice I am interested.

Comment from: Philos17, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: May 02

I am a 19 year old who suffered with gastritis for 3 years before a doctor did basic tests. Unlike others it seems, I have a constant urge to vomit when I have it, I can't help it, I will just keep throwing up even when there is nothing left in my stomach to throw up. It's painful and makes me feel absolutely horrible. In the end, whenever I had it I would vomit blood. It was down to helicobacter pylori and thank goodness that I managed to find a decent doctor to test for it as a course of antibiotics has really helped me.

Comment from: Starfire, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: February 11

My father died of stomach cancer so when I began having esophageal reflux and a precancerous condition that caused such pain, I eventually was told I have gastritis and to discontinue overdosing on oranges and citrus fruits. This was thirty years ago. I never had another orange even though it is my favorite fruit. Severe stomach pain and a regular series of UTIs (urinary tract infections) after hip surgery in 2010, required a urologist (I had never had a UTI before the surgery). I had an endoscopy and a colonoscopy done last year and the endoscopy disclosed the inflammation and gastritis in the stomach but no cancer. I have not had a normal bowel movement for years. When I do they are hugely explosive. I am able to deal with this and I eat very carefully with small meals. I appreciate what I heard on this site. But I am beginning to know what foods I cannot tolerate. Stress magnifies all symptoms.

Comment from: mirage, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: January 29

With gastritis it was very painful lower abdominal pain. I couldn't sleep or eat heavy seasoned foods. I was prescribed an antacid which did help, now I'm going to change my eating habits. This was caused when I took naproxen for carpal tunnel.

Comment from: 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 30

I was born with gastroenteritis. I was in hospital for six months. I have had stomach pains all of my life. Doctors do not do anything even though when they press on my abdomen and I sometimes jump from the pain. Also, I have had bowel irregularities forever. Now I am on a probiotic. I feel some improvement. I can only eat if I am hungry.

Gastritis - Symptoms and Signs Question: What symptoms and signs did you experience with your gastritis?
Gastritis - Causes Question: If known, what was the cause of your gastritis? Did you go to a doctor?
Gastritis - Diagnosis Question: What types of exams or tests led to a diagnosis of gastritis? If you had an endoscopy, please describe the procedure.
Gastritis - Treatment Question: What types of treatment, including medications, did you receive for gastritis?