Patient Comments: Gastritis - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with gastritis.

Comment from: Miss P, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 03

Gastritis was horrendous. I was vomiting for 36 hours every 2 to 3 hours; all bile. It started off as a black color and ended up green both with black bits in. I was admitted to Accident and Emergency after 12 hours of vomiting. I even vomited in the hospital after taking anti-sickness medicines! Doctor diagnosed gastroenteritis. I was on a fluid and paracetamol drip for 2 hours before being discharged. I was sent home with anti-sickness tablets. After 2 days of no progress I went to the general physician. He diagnosed it as acute gastritis and gave me anti-acid tablets. I just got home, so have to wait and see.

Comment from: mommaof3, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 15

I had my first bout of gastritis about a month ago which found me in the emergency room. I thought it was my gallbladder because of the pain and location. All tests came back normal and an ultrasound found my liver and gallbladder in good condition. The doctor prescribed Percocet and antacid relief. The attacks are extreme pain in the upper abdominal area and into the back, vomiting, loose bowels, and mine brings on an extreme anxiety attack. Avoiding alcohol, heavy meals, and lots of caffeine tends to help. Once an attack starts there is no turning back. It takes me 3 days to recover from an attack. I'm considering the GAPS diet, which is extremely difficult, but I know it will mend my digestive system. Probiotics and digestive enzymes have also helped my condition.

Comment from: catlady4, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 04

I too have gastritis, and have had 2 bad attacks in the last week. Pain so severe I can't function, gas that seems to get caught in my throat, and wanting to throw up but can't. My stomach gets bloated and hard. Right now I am afraid to eat at all. I am on ranitidine because I have severe side effects to the -prazole medications. I take 81 mg of aspirin daily and wondering if I should stop it. This is no picnic, wish they would find a better cure.

Comment from: Jiweeon, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: March 26

I am 28 years old and have been suffering from heartburn since I was 17 years old. A few days ago, I was at work and felt fine. Suddenly, after finishing my cup of coffee, what felt like the worst heartburn ever came on. Being used to the pain of heartburn, I thought I would just wait it out and eventually it would go away. This time it was different, an unbearable amount of pain began to radiate from the center of my stomach (about two inches above my belly button). It just got worse and worse. I could barely walk and I wanted pass out from the pain. I was short of breath and nauseas. It was by far the worst pain I have ever experienced. No position helped the pain and after I couldn't take it anymore we went to the emergency room. They eventually gave me a dose of Dilaudid, which didn't seem to help the pain, but helped me to relax. They finally diagnosed me with gastritis and sent me home with Prevacid and Vicodin. I am still awaiting an appointment with a gastroenterologist. It is nice to hear I'm not the only one who has experienced this excruciating pain.

Comment from: Susie q, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 30

I have had gastritis on and off from the time I was young. The wonder cure for me was aloe vera taken as a drink. Not only did it sooth my burning stomach but it went away for years. Flax seed mixed with a little hot water to make quite a thick but drinkable mixture is also wonderful for taking away the burning. It has lots of beneficial properties also, as does aloe vera. These are tried and tested and worked for me during pregnancy to get rid of heart burn and I swear by them to this day.

Comment from: LONEYGIRL1962, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 27

When I eat anything, I belch like crazy and my stomach is bloated bad, after a couple of days it goes away. I am so sick of feeling so bad with gastritis.

Gastritis - Symptoms and Signs Question: What symptoms and signs did you experience with your gastritis?
Gastritis - Causes Question: If known, what was the cause of your gastritis? Did you go to a doctor?
Gastritis - Diagnosis Question: What types of exams or tests led to a diagnosis of gastritis? If you had an endoscopy, please describe the procedure.
Gastritis - Treatment Question: What types of treatment, including medications, did you receive for gastritis?