Patient Comments: Gastritis - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with gastritis.

Comment from: jinx, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 15

My gastritis started with bad stomach pain, nausea, and diarrhea. I got diagnosed a few months ago through an upper endoscopy.

Comment from: tummi, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 08

My gastritis causes my stomach to burn, especially when it is empty. I interpret that burning as hunger and can't go long without eating once I feel the burn. I have gained weight because of this; it's very upsetting. I've had H. Pylori in the past and was treated successfully for it. To me, this feels exactly like H. Pylori, but I've been tested and the lab says it's not H.Pylori. I'm going for an endoscopy later this week. I do not want to take the acid-blockers the doctor has prescribed. If there is too much acid, I want to find out and treat the cause, not just the symptom.

Comment from: lzbth0671, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 05

I was rushed to the ER from work one afternoon. I was in the worse pain I had ever been in. After 4 hours and a dose of morphine, they diagnosed me with gastritis. I take medication every morning 30 minutes before I eat. After the first week all the pain went away, although I am still careful about what I eat. Then last Friday, I forgot to take my meds. As soon as I ate my oatmeal, I was in extreme pain again. The pain lessened once I took my medicine but it was still a problem for several days after. Now it is back to normal, but I wonder if this is something I'm going to have to deal with for the rest of my life.

Comment from: Rich, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: February 05

Had an operation for appendicitis and developed a stomach ache underneath my sternum. Now it's travelled around stomach. Burning painful. It gets worse when I put any pressure on it such as a belt. Doctor says it's gastritis and to take probiotics. She says the antibiotics from the operation stripped my stomach of good bacteria and need to replace. So far it hasn't worked. Must stay away from alcohol, caffeine, spicy food, fatty foods. God help me!

Comment from: nana, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 05

It's the most painful thing ever. I was given Protonix but it doesn't seem to be working. It did a day after I went to the hospital. Wish I knew what to do!

Comment from: LISA, 7-12 Male (Caregiver) Published: September 16

My eight-year-old son has chronic gastritis. Four months ago he started to feel like it was hard to swallow. Over time, his condition has definitely worsened. For a while, he would only eat crackers because they dissolve quickly and are easier to swallow, he says. He was just diagnosed with gastritis and now takes two different medications.

Comment from: Female (Patient) Published: September 16

I went to the hospital yesterday and the doctor told me that I have gastritis. OMG. It is the most painful thing ever, and I literally felt like I was going to faint from the pain. I'm only 16, and I can't imagine what could have caused this. I've been having this severe pain for three days straight now, and it won't stop. OUCH!

Comment from: mothernature321, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: April 14

Personally, gastritis gives me stomach pain, nausea, and then -- because I have anxiety -- the gastritis triggers my anxiety, so I end up with anxiety on top of the gastritis problems. All it takes is three days of me not taking my Prilosec. I'm only 24. I developed gastritis about two years ago, and I never ever drink alcohol. That would never work out in my favor.

Comment from: ASK, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: January 11

I had all but forgotten GASTRITIS after my Gall Bladder removal in 2000. I went on a tour and had lot of fat and fried food. I am again suffering from bloated stomach, pain in the back near the Kidneys, and going down to the knees and thighs. I applied lot of balm and liniments. Now I am trying to fast and taken watery Butter Milk. Even as I am typing I am finding some relief. I have taken a pear and small quantity of tiny 'ajwain' an indian mouth freshener say 10 to 20 pieces. I intend to go for a walk and take honey also as suggested by home remedies. If available take tender coconut water. When you start releasing gas the improvement will be felt.

Gastritis - Symptoms and Signs Question: What symptoms and signs did you experience with your gastritis?
Gastritis - Causes Question: If known, what was the cause of your gastritis? Did you go to a doctor?
Gastritis - Diagnosis Question: What types of exams or tests led to a diagnosis of gastritis? If you had an endoscopy, please describe the procedure.
Gastritis - Treatment Question: What types of treatment, including medications, did you receive for gastritis?