Patient Comments: Gastritis - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with gastritis.

Comment from: nana, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 05

It's the most painful thing ever. I was given Protonix but it doesn't seem to be working. It did a day after I went to the hospital. Wish I knew what to do!

Comment from: LISA, 7-12 Male (Caregiver) Published: September 16

My eight-year-old son has chronic gastritis. Four months ago he started to feel like it was hard to swallow. Over time, his condition has definitely worsened. For a while, he would only eat crackers because they dissolve quickly and are easier to swallow, he says. He was just diagnosed with gastritis and now takes two different medications.

Comment from: Female (Patient) Published: September 16

I went to the hospital yesterday and the doctor told me that I have gastritis. OMG. It is the most painful thing ever, and I literally felt like I was going to faint from the pain. I'm only 16, and I can't imagine what could have caused this. I've been having this severe pain for three days straight now, and it won't stop. OUCH!

Comment from: mothernature321, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: April 14

Personally, gastritis gives me stomach pain, nausea, and then -- because I have anxiety -- the gastritis triggers my anxiety, so I end up with anxiety on top of the gastritis problems. All it takes is three days of me not taking my Prilosec. I'm only 24. I developed gastritis about two years ago, and I never ever drink alcohol. That would never work out in my favor.

Comment from: ASK, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: January 11

I had all but forgotten GASTRITIS after my Gall Bladder removal in 2000. I went on a tour and had lot of fat and fried food. I am again suffering from bloated stomach, pain in the back near the Kidneys, and going down to the knees and thighs. I applied lot of balm and liniments. Now I am trying to fast and taken watery Butter Milk. Even as I am typing I am finding some relief. I have taken a pear and small quantity of tiny 'ajwain' an indian mouth freshener say 10 to 20 pieces. I intend to go for a walk and take honey also as suggested by home remedies. If available take tender coconut water. When you start releasing gas the improvement will be felt.

Comment from: jimj, 45-54 Male Published: December 14

I had a constant mild to medium nagging pain at the top of my stomach area just below the xyphoid process. It started about a week ago. Each time I eat the pain worsens. I had a colonoscopy done about 1 year ago with only a few hemorrhoids removed. However, I also had an upper GI check done finding 2- small ulcers. Treatment was with Nexium no other problems were experienced until now. I noticed some bleeding of bright red in stool in the last couple of days. I also, take an anit- inflammatory medication Naproxen 500 mg x2 daily for the past few years without experiencing any side effects. My blood pressure and pulse are fine and my breathing is fine. No lower abdominal pain experienced at this time. I am just not sure what is causing this pain.

Comment from: Dena, 45-54 Female Published: October 28

I have no insurance so I'm here trying to figure out what it is that I might have. I'm experiencing the same symptoms as mentioned in other reader's comments along with ALOT of loud bubbling and rumbling in my upper stomach. It is very embarrassing and I hate to be in public when it is acting up. I will check out the alkaline diet that another reader mentioned to see if it will help. Thanks!

Comment from: Christie, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 18

My stomach used to be flat and now it is bloated all the time. I have no appetite which makes me feel nauseous and then I eat and feel better, but my stomach is bloated. I exercise regularly and do ab exercises every day I work out.

Gastritis - Symptoms and Signs Question: What symptoms and signs did you experience with your gastritis?
Gastritis - Causes Question: If known, what was the cause of your gastritis? Did you go to a doctor?
Gastritis - Diagnosis Question: What types of exams or tests led to a diagnosis of gastritis? If you had an endoscopy, please describe the procedure.
Gastritis - Treatment Question: What types of treatment, including medications, did you receive for gastritis?