Patient Comments: Gastritis - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with gastritis.

Comment from: jrm0341, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: November 21

I was sitting one night and felt a pain in the left side of my chest and when I lifted my arm I felt some numbness and a lightheaded feeling in my head. I went to the emergency room and they said I was not having a heart attack. After that first time I had been to the emergency room 8 times and all my blood work was and fine and my EKG were ok. My blood pressure was fine and my heart rate was normal. I had a brain MRI and neck MRI and a chest MRI and all test came back fine. I had a brain CT scan and that was fine, they checked my thyroid and for blood in my lungs and found nothing. I had a Lyme's test down and it was clean. Then I had an upper endoscopy down and the doctor said I had gastritis, he gave me omeprazole. He also did a biopsy and found that I had eosinophilic esophagitis. I was told that this morning and picked up Flovent for my prescription. I still feel bad like I'm having a heart attack but it does seem like the symptoms have gotten milder since I have been on omeprazole. So I will have to change my diet and see if this Flovent helps with my symptoms.

Comment from: ted, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: November 07

I am suffering from gastritis, my stomach contracts and heaves, bubbling like thunder inside, then the pain begins, the most unbearable pain. Sometimes it gets in to my chest and I feel like I am getting a heart attack. I went in for tests and I knew this must be caused by regular intake of ibuprofen for my headaches which may now have caused ulcers in me by erosion of stomach lining. I was on omeprazole which didn't help much, I am now on pantoprazole, waiting to see a gastroenterologist. I can't sleep and I have pain, nonstop diarrhea, vomiting and headaches. I can only take porridge, I have no appetite for food. I am looking to find one doctor who really knows what to do with this type of gastritis. Most doctors are only running endless tests which have now cost me a lot yet I have no treatment or solution for the problem.

Comment from: Buffy, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 06

I was diagnosed with H pylori 5 years ago and it was treated successfully with antibiotics, but it has come back again and I am taking anti B's again. The first time it gave me a duodenal ulcer, this time I have gastritis because I am told it has developed lower down in the stomach. My symptoms are abdominal pain which moves around, but the predominant symptoms are a burning and acute gnawing feeling in the stomach, nausea and loss of appetite. I have an idea that stress could be a trigger for H Pylori because it has emerged both times after I have been under considerable stress. I am told that an Alkaline diet is the best way to combat the bacteria - in other words don't give it the food it likes and thrives on. I am seriously reviewing my diet at the moment. A list of Alkaline and Acid foods can be found on the net. It has been a very useful guide for me and I am hoping it will help in the battle to eradicate this horrible disease and will hopefully prevent it developing into cancer.

Comment from: P.Long, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: January 12

My only symptom of gastritis is diarrhea, and abdominal cramping! I had my knees injected with 80 mg cortisone, each knee a week ago tomorrow.

Comment from: Bloating, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: October 21

I think I have gastritis however I have not only had heart burn, but really bad low abdominal pain and serious bloating, and the pain even overpowers the heart burn.

Comment from: Kim, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 15

When I have pain after eating, I have found an ice pack on my stomach relieves pain and inflammation. This has given me much needed relief from gastritis!

Comment from: DestinyMae, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: June 12

I have not been to the doctor for this, but I have every symptom of gastritis. My upper abdomen cramps, is sensitive to the touch, I have bloating, gas, burping, and back pain. It's excruciating. I thought I was having gallbladder issues, but gastritis sounds more accurate.

Gastritis - Symptoms and Signs Question: What symptoms and signs did you experience with your gastritis?
Gastritis - Causes Question: If known, what was the cause of your gastritis? Did you go to a doctor?
Gastritis - Diagnosis Question: What types of exams or tests led to a diagnosis of gastritis? If you had an endoscopy, please describe the procedure.
Gastritis - OTC and Prescription Medications Question: What types of treatment, including medications, did you receive for gastritis?
Gastritis - Experience Question: Please share your experience with acute or chronic gastritis.
Gastritis - Causes Question: If known, what was the cause of your gastritis?
Gastritis - Diet to Sooth Symptoms Question: What foods have you found help sooth or treat your gastritis/