Patient Comments: Gastritis - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with gastritis.

Comment from: Bloating, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: October 21

I think I have gastritis however I have not only had heart burn, but really bad low abdominal pain and serious bloating, and the pain even overpowers the heart burn.

Comment from: Kim, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 15

When I have pain after eating, I have found an ice pack on my stomach relieves pain and inflammation. This has given me much needed relief from gastritis!

Comment from: DestinyMae, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: June 12

I have not been to the doctor for this, but I have every symptom of gastritis. My upper abdomen cramps, is sensitive to the touch, I have bloating, gas, burping, and back pain. It's excruciating. I thought I was having gallbladder issues, but gastritis sounds more accurate.

Comment from: 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 30

I was born with gastroenteritis. I was in hospital for six months. I have had stomach pains all of my life. Doctors do not do anything even though when they press on my abdomen and I sometimes jump from the pain. Also, I have had bowel irregularities forever. Now I am on a probiotic. I feel some improvement. I can only eat if I am hungry.

Comment from: LM, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: March 04

I had gastritis when I consumed a lot of alcohol and smoked cigarettes last year. It had started when I smoked that morning. I could feel that something was wrong with my stomach. I could feel burning inside me. Now, it is 2 months after and I can still feel that something is wrong with my stomach. I"ve visited the doctor and am on medication. But now, I still feel some pain, including back pain. I can feel cramps inside me sometimes racing heart.

Comment from: carolyn, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: February 18

Coffee and soda and tea give the burning ache in bottom of stomach. Abstaining from these makes gastritis goes away. I feel I am saving myself from progression by drinking only water. I don't want ulcers or cancer, although it is tough giving these things up, but worth it.

Comment from: Lucy, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: February 06

I've had gastritis for about a year now, I was diagnosed early last year after a gastroscopy. The pain really is unbearable. I'm on an extremely strict diet but honestly my pain is just getting worse and worse. I am considering taking myself to the hospital today but I'm not really sure they can do much to help.

Comment from: dollylu, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 22

I have suffered with gastritis for many years, and when I have a flare-up, I find the flat cola really helps bring up the gas. It has to be Coke Classic and it has to be flat with no bubbles. Also, I asked my pharmacist and she recommended Beano, and that helps, too. I am also going to ask my doctor about Colestipol, I have been told it binds excessive bile and safely removes it from the body. Since I've had my gall bladder removed, I believe the excess bile is a problem, too.

Comment from: rogo, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: February 18

I have had gastritis off and on for more than 30 years now. The first time I had symptoms, I was 17 years old. Now I am 47, and it is getting so bad that when it flares up, I almost pass out from the pain. The bile from my stomach makes me vomit, and I lose my breath -- I came close to calling 911 this morning. It hasn't hit in more than a month now, but just as I finished a cup of coffee it hit me. The attack lasted until I vomited all the contents of my stomach containing the coffee and bile. Then I felt better. I noticed after eating oatmeal or certain fruits I will get bloating, belching and burning, as if I swallowed a hot charcoal briquette. Then the nausea sets in usually Pepcid Complete works fine for me but not this morning. It's getting worse.

Gastritis - Symptoms and Signs Question: What symptoms and signs did you experience with your gastritis?
Gastritis - Causes Question: If known, what was the cause of your gastritis? Did you go to a doctor?
Gastritis - Diagnosis Question: What types of exams or tests led to a diagnosis of gastritis? If you had an endoscopy, please describe the procedure.
Gastritis - OTC and Prescription Medications Question: What types of treatment, including medications, did you receive for gastritis?
Gastritis - Experience Question: Please share your experience with acute or chronic gastritis.
Gastritis - Causes Question: If known, what was the cause of your gastritis?
Gastritis - Diet to Sooth Symptoms Question: What foods have you found help sooth or treat your gastritis/