Patient Comments: Gastritis - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with gastritis.

Comment from: Marichold, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 22

I have had chronic gastritis for about seven years. During an attack I am in absolute agony and cannot function. I was admitted to hospital the first time I had an attack, doctors suspected gallstones but gastroscopy showed gastritis. For some reason I was told I had gastritis but not that the agonizing attacks were the result so I had no idea what was wrong! It was another four years before another doctor said "that sounds like gastritis". Since then I have been taking lansoprazole every day. Last summer I was told to double the dose as I was having one attack after another. I was to go back to one dose after about two weeks if I could tolerate it. I still can"t! Despite a year of double doses I still have frequent horrendous attacks. Medical profession isn"t interested. My current record during an attack is 43 Buscopan tablets! If anyone has any advice I am interested.

Comment from: Philos17, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: May 02

I am a 19 year old who suffered with gastritis for 3 years before a doctor did basic tests. Unlike others it seems, I have a constant urge to vomit when I have it, I can't help it, I will just keep throwing up even when there is nothing left in my stomach to throw up. It's painful and makes me feel absolutely horrible. In the end, whenever I had it I would vomit blood. It was down to helicobacter pylori and thank goodness that I managed to find a decent doctor to test for it as a course of antibiotics has really helped me.

Comment from: Starfire, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: February 11

My father died of stomach cancer so when I began having esophageal reflux and a precancerous condition that caused such pain, I eventually was told I have gastritis and to discontinue overdosing on oranges and citrus fruits. This was thirty years ago. I never had another orange even though it is my favorite fruit. Severe stomach pain and a regular series of UTIs (urinary tract infections) after hip surgery in 2010, required a urologist (I had never had a UTI before the surgery). I had an endoscopy and a colonoscopy done last year and the endoscopy disclosed the inflammation and gastritis in the stomach but no cancer. I have not had a normal bowel movement for years. When I do they are hugely explosive. I am able to deal with this and I eat very carefully with small meals. I appreciate what I heard on this site. But I am beginning to know what foods I cannot tolerate. Stress magnifies all symptoms.

Comment from: mirage, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: January 29

With gastritis it was very painful lower abdominal pain. I couldn't sleep or eat heavy seasoned foods. I was prescribed an antacid which did help, now I'm going to change my eating habits. This was caused when I took naproxen for carpal tunnel.

Comment from: hank, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 23

I have been diagnosed with mild gastritis in the past. Recently, from one day to the next, I had awful acid reflux which left me feeling nauseated, unable to eat, and feeling really tired. I contacted my gastroenterologist who after an ultrasound, x-rays, and blood test determined my acid reflux was in high gear. She gave me some Nexium which has helped with acid production and I was able to eat. At night the acid seems to worsen and I wake up because of a gas like feeling in my abdominal area and some nausea. I will be taking two doses of Nexium a day to see if this helps. If not I will request an endoscope and/or colonoscopy. These bouts of nausea are a horrible feeling.

Comment from: Dibbles, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: December 30

I was diagnosed with gastritis through endoscopy. This all started at 4AM one morning when I was woken up with a massive pain in my chest, and nausea. I thought it was angina but the pain wasn't radiating, so I went to work and it eased but was still there, and nausea too. Coffee felt hot going down and eating felt like I had some large piece of food stuck in my gullet. I went to the local emergency room on the way home as I still had chest pain and a racing heart (anything from 85-135BPM). Heart was fine; after a CT scan, nitroglycerin tablets and a patch, X-rays and an overnight stay, with a stress test in the morning, I went to see the gastroenterologist. He asked if I am taking any medications and I am on a course of doxycycline that's what I did late that night and then about an hour later went to bed. It seems doxycycline is a very caustic antibiotic and I had burnt my esophagus with the antibiotic. I should have been taking them with a full glass of water. The gastritis is probably caused by the doxycycline said the doctor and will go when the course of tablets is finished. I am taking them with water now and I have also managed to get some manuka honey which I take a teaspoonful of each day.

Gastritis - Symptoms and Signs Question: What symptoms and signs did you experience with your gastritis?
Gastritis - Causes Question: If known, what was the cause of your gastritis? Did you go to a doctor?
Gastritis - Diagnosis Question: What types of exams or tests led to a diagnosis of gastritis? If you had an endoscopy, please describe the procedure.
Gastritis - OTC and Prescription Medications Question: What types of treatment, including medications, did you receive for gastritis?
Gastritis - Experience Question: Please share your experience with acute or chronic gastritis.
Gastritis - Causes Question: If known, what was the cause of your gastritis?
Gastritis - Diet to Sooth Symptoms Question: What foods have you found help sooth or treat your gastritis/