Patient Comments: Gastritis - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with gastritis.

Comment from: ted, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: November 07

I am suffering from gastritis, my stomach contracts and heaves, bubbling like thunder inside, then the pain begins, the most unbearable pain. Sometimes it gets in to my chest and I feel like I am getting a heart attack. I went in for tests and I knew this must be caused by regular intake of ibuprofen for my headaches which may now have caused ulcers in me by erosion of stomach lining. I was on omeprazole which didn't help much, I am now on pantoprazole, waiting to see a gastroenterologist. I can't sleep and I have pain, nonstop diarrhea, vomiting and headaches. I can only take porridge, I have no appetite for food. I am looking to find one doctor who really knows what to do with this type of gastritis. Most doctors are only running endless tests which have now cost me a lot yet I have no treatment or solution for the problem.

Comment from: Buffy, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 06

I was diagnosed with H pylori 5 years ago and it was treated successfully with antibiotics, but it has come back again and I am taking anti B's again. The first time it gave me a duodenal ulcer, this time I have gastritis because I am told it has developed lower down in the stomach. My symptoms are abdominal pain which moves around, but the predominant symptoms are a burning and acute gnawing feeling in the stomach, nausea and loss of appetite. I have an idea that stress could be a trigger for H Pylori because it has emerged both times after I have been under considerable stress. I am told that an Alkaline diet is the best way to combat the bacteria - in other words don't give it the food it likes and thrives on. I am seriously reviewing my diet at the moment. A list of Alkaline and Acid foods can be found on the net. It has been a very useful guide for me and I am hoping it will help in the battle to eradicate this horrible disease and will hopefully prevent it developing into cancer.

Comment from: Kim, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 15

When I have pain after eating, I have found an ice pack on my stomach relieves pain and inflammation. This has given me much needed relief from gastritis!

Comment from: DestinyMae, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: June 12

I have not been to the doctor for this, but I have every symptom of gastritis. My upper abdomen cramps, is sensitive to the touch, I have bloating, gas, burping, and back pain. It's excruciating. I thought I was having gallbladder issues, but gastritis sounds more accurate.

Comment from: 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 30

I was born with gastroenteritis. I was in hospital for six months. I have had stomach pains all of my life. Doctors do not do anything even though when they press on my abdomen and I sometimes jump from the pain. Also, I have had bowel irregularities forever. Now I am on a probiotic. I feel some improvement. I can only eat if I am hungry.

Comment from: LM, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: March 04

I had gastritis when I consumed a lot of alcohol and smoked cigarettes last year. It had started when I smoked that morning. I could feel that something was wrong with my stomach. I could feel burning inside me. Now, it is 2 months after and I can still feel that something is wrong with my stomach. I"ve visited the doctor and am on medication. But now, I still feel some pain, including back pain. I can feel cramps inside me sometimes racing heart.

Comment from: carolyn, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: February 18

Coffee and soda and tea give the burning ache in bottom of stomach. Abstaining from these makes gastritis goes away. I feel I am saving myself from progression by drinking only water. I don't want ulcers or cancer, although it is tough giving these things up, but worth it.

Comment from: Lucy, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: February 06

I've had gastritis for about a year now, I was diagnosed early last year after a gastroscopy. The pain really is unbearable. I'm on an extremely strict diet but honestly my pain is just getting worse and worse. I am considering taking myself to the hospital today but I'm not really sure they can do much to help.

Gastritis - Symptoms and Signs Question: What symptoms and signs did you experience with your gastritis?
Gastritis - Causes Question: If known, what was the cause of your gastritis? Did you go to a doctor?
Gastritis - Diagnosis Question: What types of exams or tests led to a diagnosis of gastritis? If you had an endoscopy, please describe the procedure.
Gastritis - OTC and Prescription Medications Question: What types of treatment, including medications, did you receive for gastritis?
Gastritis - Experience Question: Please share your experience with acute or chronic gastritis.
Gastritis - Causes Question: If known, what was the cause of your gastritis?
Gastritis - Symptoms Question: What symptoms did you have with gastritis?
Gastritis - Diet to Sooth Symptoms Question: What foods have you found help sooth or treat your gastritis/