Patient Comments: Gastritis - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with gastritis.

Comment from: Ruth, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: August 24

Two months back, I was diagnosed for chronic gastritis. An endoscopy of my stomach was made. My diet now consists of white bread, steamed fruits and/or vegetables, no nuts, nothing fried, and fat-free yogurt. Since then, I have had very loose motion. Then I came to know about Sherry Brescia who prescribes a very different diet plus probiotic capsules. I can eat practically everything except I must not eat carbohydrates and proteins together. I can eat vegetables with meat, or vegetables with carbohydrates. I can eat all fruits raw but should not mix with any other food. I can eat salad with bread or spaghetti, etc. My stool is now normal and I feel much better, although I'm not up to 100% yet.

Comment from: mo, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 30

On May 8, 2009, I had a pelvic floor repair operation. I was told to rest and take Paracetamol and ibuprofen every four hours. After two weeks, I started to get a sore pain under my bust in the middle of the top part of my stomach. The pain was so bad, I could not walk. I have seen four doctors including a consultant. I was told I had constipation, gall stones and an infection. The fourth doctor I saw today said that I had gastritis. I have had bloating, sickness and a sore stomach. I am starting on lansoprazole today and hope this will heal my stomach problem. I think m symptoms were caused by too much ibuprofen.

Comment from: 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 01

I experienced acid reflux and was on Prilosec for about 2 years. It worked great for that period of time but then my acid reflux seemed to get worse. When I went for my annual physical, I asked my doctor to set up an endoscopy in order to see if there was another underlying condition going on. I had that procedure and they discovered I had gastritis. Now, I am supposed to continue taking my Prilosec but discontinue any OTC pain medications with the exception of Tylenol.

Comment from: Pattyp44, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 18

I was having stomach pains upper and lower but they were intermittent and moving around. The doctor thought it was an ulcer. I had an endoscopy and revealed slight case of gastritis. I purchased some natural oregano oil. I read that it was a natural antibiotic and specifically eliminates H pylori. Took 3 drops in a little shot of apple juice twice a day and 4 weeks later all symptoms are gone. The Brand I purchased was Oreganol P73. It was $27 for a small bottle with a dropper. I have read it can be used for other ailments as well. Worked for me and well worth the cost!

Comment from: jinx, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 15

My gastritis started with bad stomach pain, nausea, and diarrhea. I got diagnosed a few months ago through an upper endoscopy.

Comment from: tummi, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 08

My gastritis causes my stomach to burn, especially when it is empty. I interpret that burning as hunger and can't go long without eating once I feel the burn. I have gained weight because of this; it's very upsetting. I've had H. Pylori in the past and was treated successfully for it. To me, this feels exactly like H. Pylori, but I've been tested and the lab says it's not H.Pylori. I'm going for an endoscopy later this week. I do not want to take the acid-blockers the doctor has prescribed. If there is too much acid, I want to find out and treat the cause, not just the symptom.

Comment from: lzbth0671, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 05

I was rushed to the ER from work one afternoon. I was in the worse pain I had ever been in. After 4 hours and a dose of morphine, they diagnosed me with gastritis. I take medication every morning 30 minutes before I eat. After the first week all the pain went away, although I am still careful about what I eat. Then last Friday, I forgot to take my meds. As soon as I ate my oatmeal, I was in extreme pain again. The pain lessened once I took my medicine but it was still a problem for several days after. Now it is back to normal, but I wonder if this is something I'm going to have to deal with for the rest of my life.

Comment from: Rich, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: February 05

Had an operation for appendicitis and developed a stomach ache underneath my sternum. Now it's travelled around stomach. Burning painful. It gets worse when I put any pressure on it such as a belt. Doctor says it's gastritis and to take probiotics. She says the antibiotics from the operation stripped my stomach of good bacteria and need to replace. So far it hasn't worked. Must stay away from alcohol, caffeine, spicy food, fatty foods. God help me!

Gastritis - Symptoms and Signs Question: What symptoms and signs did you experience with your gastritis?
Gastritis - Causes Question: If known, what was the cause of your gastritis? Did you go to a doctor?
Gastritis - Diagnosis Question: What types of exams or tests led to a diagnosis of gastritis? If you had an endoscopy, please describe the procedure.
Gastritis - Treatment Question: What types of treatment, including medications, did you receive for gastritis?