Patient Comments: Gastritis - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with gastritis.

Comment from: Kay kay, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: February 16

I was diagnosed with gastritis (slight inflammation). I was told in December 2009. I was started on Prilosec, and I am still on it. I did go off Prilosec for a few days but really got sick to my stomach and had to go back on it. It is Feb. 16 and I am still having problems with eating. I do just fine in the morning when having probiotic yogurt and half a cup of dry Cherrios. I used to have a banana and oatmeal with milk, but now that all makes my stomach feel sick. I used to be able to eat all meats but now only skinless chicken breasts, butterfly pork chops and maybe fish. I baked fish with a little olive oil. Once I did fine with that and the next time I didn't do so well. I stay away from fried foods, spicy foods, and peanuts, which I had loved. I sometimes am able to eat lunchmeat -- thin slices of turkey. Other times I can't. This is driving me crazy that I can't seem to find the right foods that won't make my stomach upset. I was told today to try lactobacillus. I hope that will help. I just don't know whether to continue taking Prilosec as I don't feel as if it is helping all that much.

Comment from: Annie, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: August 27

My gastritis began slowly and intermittently with a burning sensation when I ate or drank anything. I cannot drink wine, although I can drink beer occasionally or a mixed drink (which I do rarely). On my birthday last Friday, I had two mixed drinks, and I think I am paying for it now, although it did not bother me at the time. I have to avoid cooked tomatoes, but even plain rice or water will burn if I am having a flare-up. Other than avoiding triggers, I drink filtered water with a tiny bit of organic non-iodized sea salt in it, and that has been the biggest help of all.

Comment from: Ruth, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: August 24

Two months back, I was diagnosed for chronic gastritis. An endoscopy of my stomach was made. My diet now consists of white bread, steamed fruits and/or vegetables, no nuts, nothing fried, and fat-free yogurt. Since then, I have had very loose motion. Then I came to know about Sherry Brescia who prescribes a very different diet plus probiotic capsules. I can eat practically everything except I must not eat carbohydrates and proteins together. I can eat vegetables with meat, or vegetables with carbohydrates. I can eat all fruits raw but should not mix with any other food. I can eat salad with bread or spaghetti, etc. My stool is now normal and I feel much better, although I'm not up to 100% yet.

Comment from: mo, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 30

On May 8, 2009, I had a pelvic floor repair operation. I was told to rest and take Paracetamol and ibuprofen every four hours. After two weeks, I started to get a sore pain under my bust in the middle of the top part of my stomach. The pain was so bad, I could not walk. I have seen four doctors including a consultant. I was told I had constipation, gall stones and an infection. The fourth doctor I saw today said that I had gastritis. I have had bloating, sickness and a sore stomach. I am starting on lansoprazole today and hope this will heal my stomach problem. I think m symptoms were caused by too much ibuprofen.

Comment from: 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 01

I experienced acid reflux and was on Prilosec for about 2 years. It worked great for that period of time but then my acid reflux seemed to get worse. When I went for my annual physical, I asked my doctor to set up an endoscopy in order to see if there was another underlying condition going on. I had that procedure and they discovered I had gastritis. Now, I am supposed to continue taking my Prilosec but discontinue any OTC pain medications with the exception of Tylenol.

Comment from: Pattyp44, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 18

I was having stomach pains upper and lower but they were intermittent and moving around. The doctor thought it was an ulcer. I had an endoscopy and revealed slight case of gastritis. I purchased some natural oregano oil. I read that it was a natural antibiotic and specifically eliminates H pylori. Took 3 drops in a little shot of apple juice twice a day and 4 weeks later all symptoms are gone. The Brand I purchased was Oreganol P73. It was $27 for a small bottle with a dropper. I have read it can be used for other ailments as well. Worked for me and well worth the cost!

Comment from: jinx, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 15

My gastritis started with bad stomach pain, nausea, and diarrhea. I got diagnosed a few months ago through an upper endoscopy.

Gastritis - Symptoms and Signs Question: What symptoms and signs did you experience with your gastritis?
Gastritis - Causes Question: If known, what was the cause of your gastritis? Did you go to a doctor?
Gastritis - Diagnosis Question: What types of exams or tests led to a diagnosis of gastritis? If you had an endoscopy, please describe the procedure.
Gastritis - Treatment Question: What types of treatment, including medications, did you receive for gastritis?