Patient Comments: Gastritis - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with gastritis.

Comment from: Buffy, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 06

I was diagnosed with H pylori 5 years ago and it was treated successfully with antibiotics, but it has come back again and I am taking anti B's again. The first time it gave me a duodenal ulcer, this time I have gastritis because I am told it has developed lower down in the stomach. My symptoms are abdominal pain which moves around, but the predominant symptoms are a burning and acute gnawing feeling in the stomach, nausea and loss of appetite. I have an idea that stress could be a trigger for H Pylori because it has emerged both times after I have been under considerable stress. I am told that an Alkaline diet is the best way to combat the bacteria - in other words don't give it the food it likes and thrives on. I am seriously reviewing my diet at the moment. A list of Alkaline and Acid foods can be found on the net. It has been a very useful guide for me and I am hoping it will help in the battle to eradicate this horrible disease and will hopefully prevent it developing into cancer.

Comment from: carolyn, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: February 18

Coffee and soda and tea give the burning ache in bottom of stomach. Abstaining from these makes gastritis goes away. I feel I am saving myself from progression by drinking only water. I don't want ulcers or cancer, although it is tough giving these things up, but worth it.

Comment from: Lucy, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: February 06

I've had gastritis for about a year now, I was diagnosed early last year after a gastroscopy. The pain really is unbearable. I'm on an extremely strict diet but honestly my pain is just getting worse and worse. I am considering taking myself to the hospital today but I'm not really sure they can do much to help.

Comment from: dollylu, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 22

I have suffered with gastritis for many years, and when I have a flare-up, I find the flat cola really helps bring up the gas. It has to be Coke Classic and it has to be flat with no bubbles. Also, I asked my pharmacist and she recommended Beano, and that helps, too. I am also going to ask my doctor about Colestipol, I have been told it binds excessive bile and safely removes it from the body. Since I've had my gall bladder removed, I believe the excess bile is a problem, too.

Comment from: rogo, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: February 18

I have had gastritis off and on for more than 30 years now. The first time I had symptoms, I was 17 years old. Now I am 47, and it is getting so bad that when it flares up, I almost pass out from the pain. The bile from my stomach makes me vomit, and I lose my breath -- I came close to calling 911 this morning. It hasn't hit in more than a month now, but just as I finished a cup of coffee it hit me. The attack lasted until I vomited all the contents of my stomach containing the coffee and bile. Then I felt better. I noticed after eating oatmeal or certain fruits I will get bloating, belching and burning, as if I swallowed a hot charcoal briquette. Then the nausea sets in usually Pepcid Complete works fine for me but not this morning. It's getting worse.

Comment from: Kay kay, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: February 16

I was diagnosed with gastritis (slight inflammation). I was told in December 2009. I was started on Prilosec, and I am still on it. I did go off Prilosec for a few days but really got sick to my stomach and had to go back on it. It is Feb. 16 and I am still having problems with eating. I do just fine in the morning when having probiotic yogurt and half a cup of dry Cherrios. I used to have a banana and oatmeal with milk, but now that all makes my stomach feel sick. I used to be able to eat all meats but now only skinless chicken breasts, butterfly pork chops and maybe fish. I baked fish with a little olive oil. Once I did fine with that and the next time I didn't do so well. I stay away from fried foods, spicy foods, and peanuts, which I had loved. I sometimes am able to eat lunchmeat -- thin slices of turkey. Other times I can't. This is driving me crazy that I can't seem to find the right foods that won't make my stomach upset. I was told today to try lactobacillus. I hope that will help. I just don't know whether to continue taking Prilosec as I don't feel as if it is helping all that much.

Comment from: Annie, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: August 27

My gastritis began slowly and intermittently with a burning sensation when I ate or drank anything. I cannot drink wine, although I can drink beer occasionally or a mixed drink (which I do rarely). On my birthday last Friday, I had two mixed drinks, and I think I am paying for it now, although it did not bother me at the time. I have to avoid cooked tomatoes, but even plain rice or water will burn if I am having a flare-up. Other than avoiding triggers, I drink filtered water with a tiny bit of organic non-iodized sea salt in it, and that has been the biggest help of all.

Gastritis - Symptoms and Signs Question: What symptoms and signs did you experience with your gastritis?
Gastritis - Causes Question: If known, what was the cause of your gastritis? Did you go to a doctor?
Gastritis - Diagnosis Question: What types of exams or tests led to a diagnosis of gastritis? If you had an endoscopy, please describe the procedure.
Gastritis - Treatment Question: What types of treatment, including medications, did you receive for gastritis?